MMA Discussion Thread part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I read an interesting theory today, suggesting that GSP should be stripped of the title as he wont have defended it in a year. That would make Condit the undisputed champ and would make it a little more reasonable to give Diaz the first shot at the title.

Last edited:
Here, here, Phil.

Just watched the 4 prelim fights - really enjoyed them all

Matthew Riddle vs. Henry Martinez very entertaining fight
Matt Brown vs. Chris Cope also good
Bruce Leroy vs. Edwin Figueroa made my eyes water
Dustin Poirier vs. Max Holloway great knockout

:clap:

I have also said that same theory Phil. Although my reasons for him being stripped are for other reasons too (snoozefest watching him since he got the belt.)

His last real performance was against BJ Penn IMHO.

But it's only been a year and will be about 15months by the time he fights. If it gets to the other side of 18months it should be a very valid theory.

I also gaurantee that after his comeback fight, he wont fight for another 9months!!!!

Where did you watch the prelims Monkey....?

stephen-thompson-ko.gif

:smashin:

Rematch ! :smashin: "Nick wanted it the same night." :laugh:

The MMAHour is worth listen this week with Cesar Gracie slightly bias view but interesting non the less.

Ive given the whole Diaz thing a lot of thought and come to the conclusion that maybe Diaz is too one dimensional and would probably lose to GSP anyway. i hope he goes into a rematch with a better game plan and try and win the fight by other means. Would be funny if he got in there and started running round the ring.

BigStu1972 said:
I wish they would start showing the prelims before the main event started again. It seems I am missing out on some good action

You can view them on Facebook and UFC.tv usually. I didn't see the last lot as I didn't have time but I watched the Fox II prelims.

I'd prefer them to go on tv too though, hopefully when a new TV deal happens in August something will be resolved.

I agree, I use to love my 4+ hour Sunday morning UFC sessions.
Would wake up excited around 5am, get it all done by around 10.
Now it seems to be over too quickly :(

HORRIBLE.

Just a horrible decision by Dana to reward Diaz's pathetic manbaby antics with a rematch.

Here's the facts. Walking forward and goading does not equal fighting. Condit used footwork and diverse, technical muay thai to pick Diaz apart.

That ****** Cesar Gracie said the first round was clearly his boy's round. ********. Diaz barely threw anything.

Fight metrics:

Overall strikes:
Condit: 159
Diaz: 117
Significant strikes:
Condit: 151
Diaz: 105
Round 1: Condit 30 (28 significant stikes), Diaz 28 (23)
Round 2: Condit 29 (29), Diaz 35 (32)
Round 3: Condit 33 (32), Diaz 24 (22)
Round 4: Condit 37 (36), Diaz 11 (11)
Round 5: Condit 30 (25), Diaz 19 (17)

Diaz and Sonnen are getting their own way by actually like spoilt children. If this is the UFC's ranking system, it's flawed beyond belief.

I love the sport but it isn't half run and viewed by some proper mongs.

HORRIBLE.

Just a horrible decision by Dana to reward Diaz's pathetic manbaby antics with a rematch.

I think Dana was happy for any excuse to give the rematch. He wants Diaz to fight GSP because it'll make more dosh.

It's more likley the fan power that got the rematch and pound signs. One of the great things about the UFC is they put the fights on we want to see. Besides which Diaz was robbed :)

Good news, I'm sooo happy this is happening. Now no more moaning from either fighter. If Diaz wasn't happy with Conduits running he better train a new gameplan.

Can't wait.

PS: Thanks Phil for the prelim advice! :smashin:

Raj24v said:
Good news, I'm sooo happy this is happening.

It's not...

According to Cesar Gracie, Diaz vs Condit II is not happening. Apparently Condit agreed to it but Diaz has not.

However GSP allegedly said he would relinquish the title to get a fight with Diaz so I wonder if there's more to come? Will Diaz fight GSP in a non title grudge match and the winner face Condit down the line?

Personally I don't like the new opening sequence, it looks more like a video game advert and I miss the rousing music.

Round 1: Condit 30 (28 significant stikes), Diaz 28 (23)
Round 2: Condit 29 (29), Diaz 35 (32)
Round 3: Condit 33 (32), Diaz 24 (22)
Round 4: Condit 37 (36), Diaz 11 (11)
Round 5: Condit 30 (25), Diaz 19 (17)

MMA works on the 10 point must system. So total significant strikes are irrelevant. Those who believe that Diaz won give him Round 1, 2 and 5 (remember he got a takedown, position and good sub attempt in 5). That doesn't contradict the fight metrics at all, in fact it may even be supported by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom