MMA Discussion Thread Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flimber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eleven is now in the books. Part Twelve here we go.

Thanks to he-knows-who for the handy copy/paste of previous threads below:

MMA Discussion Thread Nov 06 - Dec 08

MMA Discussion Thread Part II Dec 08 - May 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part III May 09 - July 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part IV Jul 09 - Oct 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part V Oct 09 - Feb 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VI Feb 10 - May 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VII May 10 - Aug 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VIII Aug 10 - Nov 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VIIII (IX) Nov 10 - Mar 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part X - Mar 11 - Aug 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part XI - Aug 11 - Nov 11

"Part 12 are you ready - MMA thread users are you ready - lets get it on" :D

the Guida fight was excellent!! JDS/Cain, pretty much agree with what most are saying, Cain never really got started and that shot from JDS wouldve knocked out Godzilla!!

Be interesting to see how brock/overeem goes next month but no way on gods green earth will brock trouble JDS (at the moment :devil:) imo.

Any word on why JDS claimed he wasn't 100%? As said in the archived thread, Cain just didn't look himself to me, more from a psychological stand-point, I suppose it's easy to forget he's had less than 10 fights in the UFC and being out the cage so long must have had an affect on him. For my money, he's still the most complete heavyweight in the division...

As for Brock/Overeem - should be a cracking fight, but again, much will depend on how well Brock has learned his lesson(s). The winner is lined up for JDS next, and I have a hunch the loser may well be fed to Cain.

Cain got caught by a solid shot but up until that point, I thought he looked the better fighter. Not sure why people are saying he looked bad :confused: He threw several solid low kicks non of which were checked. I thought that was ominous for JDS because if that would've continued, JDS wouldn't have been able to stand in the 5th round. I think Cain fully intended to mix the wrestling in with the strikes but probably didn't want to predictably start shooting for takedowns from the start. He did attempt one takedown off the caught kick but it was stuffed. JDS just has awesome hands and will be a major problem for anyone.

I think Velasquez will watch the JDS vs Lesnar fight very carefully. We'll learn a lot about JDS's TDD in that fight.

I thought he looked ok once the bell rang for the start but waiting in the cage jds looked so focussed and cain looked really troubled

I was glad I got to see the Henderson Vs Guida fight and even more glad Guida lost:clap:
What I did notice was though that when the JDS fight started I only had 23 minutes of my recording left, so if this fight had of gone the distance most of us watching on SKY 433 would have been :mad:.

I don't think we can learn too much from either fighter when it ends that quickly due to one big punch other than JDS does have ko power and Cain can be knocked out. Style wise I see Brock posing more of a problem to JDS as he certainly wont try and trade with him. I'm hoping Overeem beats Brock though as it would annoy the hell out of me if Brock regained the belt

I thought he looked ok once the bell rang for the start but waiting in the cage jds looked so focussed and cain looked really troubled

Did Cain look any different than he normally does before a fight? I can't remember what his demeanour is normally like coming into the cage. He doesn't strike me a as an intense, pacing angry type. JDS always looks hyped and always gives it his patented 'throwdown' gesture before he starts.

It's a real shame this fight didn't go for a few rounds. I was really looking forward to it because I love both of these fighters.

Don't think he has a demenour as such but I just got the vibe that he looked worried and tense this time I'd have to look back at the Brock fight but I seem to remember him being a lot calmer and looser. Maybe that's the pressure of being HW champ

I thought for some reason we were going to get the Fox feed on Primetime, and when it started with no Fox intro and Guida/Henderson was on I was really confused.

Butlast night I downloaded the actually Fox broadcast to compare and wow, for an hour show they definitely turned on the style and easy comparable to NFL or NBA - Very American, very flashy. Brock was very good as an analyst I thought.

Has anyone else seen it? I can see a lot of fans not liking it because it is very mainstream.

I thought for some reason we were going to get the Fox feed on Primetime, and when it started with no Fox intro and Guida/Henderson was on I was really confused.

Butlast night I downloaded the actually Fox broadcast to compare and wow, for an hour show they definitely turned on the style and easy comparable to NFL or NBA - Very American, very flashy. Brock was very good as an analyst I thought.

Has anyone else seen it? I can see a lot of fans not liking it because it is very mainstream.

Not yet but I'll be looking to acquire it in the next day or two

Cain got caught by a solid shot but up until that point, I thought he looked the better fighter. Not sure why people are saying he looked bad :confused: He threw several solid low kicks non of which were checked. I thought that was ominous for JDS because if that would've continued, JDS wouldn't have been able to stand in the 5th round. I think Cain fully intended to mix the wrestling in with the strikes but probably didn't want to predictably start shooting for takedowns from the start. He did attempt one takedown off the caught kick but it was stuffed. JDS just has awesome hands and will be a major problem for anyone.

I think Velasquez will watch the JDS vs Lesnar fight very carefully. We'll learn a lot about JDS's TDD in that fight.

I agree that Cain started off with good kicks but he just didn`t look confident, too edgy, I had a bad feeling when he started his entrance compared to JDS, look at how devastated he was after the fight, he knew he was better than that and that he`d messed up.

JDS certainly packs a punch, would like to see his stand up against Overeem, Cain will be back and will win the title again.

What you get is a feeling of a fighters demeanour and visible confidence levels, for thirty odd years I`ve been watching top fights and have seen this a few times, Cain`s head was somewhere else, he looked beaten to me.

themonsters said:
What you get is a feeling of a fighters demeanour and visible confidence levels, for thirty odd years I`ve been watching top fights and have seen this a few times, Cain`s head was somewhere else, he looked beaten to me.

Totally agree. Its by no means sci

themonsters said:

Totally agree. Its by no means scientific but I my instinct was right this time.

I was glad I got to see the Henderson Vs Guida fight and even more glad Guida lost:clap:
What I did notice was though that when the JDS fight started I only had 23 minutes of my recording left, so if this fight had of gone the distance most of us watching on SKY 433 would have been :mad:.

I don't think we can learn too much from either fighter when it ends that quickly due to one big punch other than JDS does have ko power and Cain can be knocked out. Style wise I see Brock posing more of a problem to JDS as he certainly wont try and trade with him. I'm hoping Overeem beats Brock though as it would annoy the hell out of me if Brock regained the belt

All of this :smashin: must read my bloody mind stu

Mackens Semerzier is appealing his loss to Roberto Peralta at UFC on Fox. If you didn't see it, he was (IMO) ahead on the scorecards midway through the last round before appearing to be caught, dropped and pounded out. The replays showed though that he wasn't caught by a punch, but an accidental headbutt to the temple.

Akiyama has finally moved down to WW, but he's getting no easy ride. He faces Jake Shields next year. Could be a loser leaves town for either man who have both been very poor since arriving in the UFC.

Mackens Semerzier is appealing his loss to Roberto Peralta at UFC on Fox. If you didn't see it, he was (IMO) ahead on the scorecards midway through the last round before appearing to be caught, dropped and pounded out. The replays showed though that he wasn't caught by a punch, but an accidental headbutt to the temple.

Akiyama has finally moved down to WW, but he's getting no easy ride. He faces Jake Shields next year. Could be a loser leaves town for either man who have both been very poor since arriving in the UFC.

That would be a little harsh on Shields who lost to GSP (as everyone does) and then lost to Ellenberger shortly after the death of his father. I would hope Shields has at least two more chances to get a W

I think the fact that he sucked horribly against Kampmann plays in too. Both have only 1 UFC win and both were poor decisions, Shields vs Kampmann and Akiyama vs Belcher.

You're right though that he'll get s chance, Akiyama may also find himself in a similar position to Dan Hardy in that he is too valuable in terms of international PR value to be cut.

That's why I was surprised at the matchup. I don't think the UFC would want either guy to lose their next fight.

I think the fact that he sucked horribly against Kampmann plays in too. Both have only 1 UFC win and both were poor decisions, Shields vs Kampmann and Akiyama vs Belcher.

You're right though that he'll get s chance, Akiyama may also find himself in a similar position to Dan Hardy in that he is too valuable in terms of international PR value to be cut.

That's why I was surprised at the matchup. I don't think the UFC would want either guy to lose their next fight.

perhaps thats why its a win-win.... somebody's gotta win out the 2 of them as opposed to they both face other opponents and both could lose.....

Sheilds was the SF middleweight champ and that's where he is best .

Did anyone watch the Dana White interview that was on before the JDS fight on Sky Premier 433?

Also, I can't see any comments on the last episode of TUF. Bisping attacking Miller's team with the fire extinguishers and then having that Mexican band playing outside was hilarious. Miller took it all very well too so fair play to him.

It's nuts to think that the guy we've seen in the UFC being rubbish is the same guy we saw in Strikeforce beating Hendo!

I wasn't that impressed with his win over Hendo. If I remember correctly wasn't Hendo injured prior to that fight which caused him to gas badly after the first round, the first round in which he battered Shields all around the cage and came within a whisker of getting the fight stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom