• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MKVs on PS3

AltGr

Established Member
Oh dearly beloved AV Forumers, I know you can help.

I have obtained serveral movies in MKV format. I can play them on my PC fine, but want to play them on my TV.

My PC is nowhere near my TV, so a direct connection is out the question. In the past I used to stream AVIs across my wireless to my PS3, but always had problems with buffering as my connection isn't very good.

In the past I have copied my AVIs directly onto the PS3 HDD, and played them without any issues. I was hoping to do the same with the MKV's, but apparently PS3 won't recognise the format?

So after a bit more digging I have stumbled across MKV 2 VOB. Can someone tell me, if I simply convert them to MPEG, will they play on the PS3 OK? The file size to begin with is aprox 10GB for each film, give or take.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Oh dearly beloved AV Forumers, I know you can help.

I have obtained serveral movies in MKV format. I can play them on my PC fine, but want to play them on my TV.

My PC is nowhere near my TV, so a direct connection is out the question. In the past I used to stream AVIs across my wireless to my PS3, but always had problems with buffering as my connection isn't very good.

In the past I have copied my AVIs directly onto the PS3 HDD, and played them without any issues. I was hoping to do the same with the MKV's, but apparently PS3 won't recognise the format?

So after a bit more digging I have stumbled across MKV 2 VOB. Can someone tell me, if I simply convert them to MPEG, will they play on the PS3 OK? The file size to begin with is aprox 10GB for each film, give or take.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Read the media guide linked in my sig below. That will be a good starting point for you.

A2a

Established Member
If most DivX BD/DVD players can play MKV files (if they are certified) then why hasn't brought the PS3 up to the same standard to play such files? :-s

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Even a wireless N connection won't be able to stream HD content.

You have to use a wired connection or USB drive as has been suggested.

An alternative is to buy homeplugs, but make sure you get the 200mbps version at least and preferably the 300mbps ones.

PS3 media server can stream MKV files with no need to convert them and is a fantastic bit of software despite all the bugs.

A2a

Established Member
DivX is equally as associated. Streaming requires you to leave your computer on all the time, smoething that I don't really like doing and it's just easier to play directly from the PS3.

Axum

Distinguished Member
DivX is equally as associated. Streaming requires you to leave your computer on all the time, smoething that I don't really like doing and it's just easier to play directly from the PS3.

Yes but the AVI container isn't quite as solely associated is it... I mean, phones, cameras etc used to all produce content using this container, whereas nothing does the same with mkv.

OK, not sure why you're mentioning streaming, the OP's query has already been dealt with...Not streaming is all very well if you've got files in the correct format to start with.

sjw

Prominent Member
Maybe there's hope then.....but I doubt it.

I guess they would have significant problems with competing players if their new hardware didn't support them, whereas no other games machine plays mkvs, and the PS3 has been out 4 years now.
I agree - but your 'reasoning' was it was for potential piracy implications - when I think they've really demonstrated that it's simply because they don't want/need to. :thumbsdow i.e. to compete (£££) they will - and 'piracy' means nothing really. Obviously the hardware is more than capable.
My parents bought a Sony BD player a couple of weeks ago and I took a USB stick with an mkv on it - plugged it in the front and it played fine. Didn't do much 'testing' (subs etc.) but the file (well, files - I took avi's too) played just fine.

Axum

Distinguished Member
Hmm not sure really, don't think it's as clear-cut as that. If they were to implement it, then it would have cut the number of WD TV / AC Ryan / PCH devices sold slightly, maybe not that significantly, but there really would be no massive reason (unless you need a 2nd device) to have one of those if you have a PS3.

I've never known anything else that mkv's are used for other than pirated material.

sjw

Prominent Member
Hmm not sure really, don't think it's as clear-cut as that. If they were to implement it, then it would have cut the number of WD TV / AC Ryan / PCH devices sold slightly, maybe not that significantly, but there really would be no massive reason (unless you need a 2nd device) to have one of those if you have a PS3.

I've never known anything else that mkv's are used for other than pirated material.
And yet despite that, they allow it on their players. And yet the device sold partly as a 'Media Player' can't. I genuinly find that bizarre.
It would be interesting to see the impact that the addition of mkv playback would have on the sales of these devices. I certainly only bought my PlayOn for mkv playback. The power saving is nice - but it would be a while before it paid for itself from that point of view.
What I am saying though is, whether or not not allowing playback of mkv files on the PS3 was related to piracy, if it started to affect the bottomline (£££), they would add it. Just like with their BD players..

Axum

Distinguished Member
What I am saying though is, whether or not not allowing playback of mkv files on the PS3 was related to piracy, if it started to affect the bottomline (£££), they would add it. Just like with their BD players..

I'll disagree then, as I think it would have affected the bottomline as you put it, with PS3 revenue, although I think they've missed a trick now as with things like those Sumvision players, you can get something that plays everything for £20 and the size of a pack of fags.

sjw

Prominent Member
I'll disagree then, as I think it would have affected the bottomline as you put it, with PS3 revenue, although I think they've missed a trick now as with things like those Sumvision players, you can get something that plays everything for £20 and the size of a pack of fags.
I thought when you had said that "I guess they would have significant problems with competing players if their new hardware didn't support them, whereas no other games machine plays mkvs, and the PS3 has been out 4 years now. " you were saying that they added it to the BD players because they 'had to' (to compete) - but hadn't needed to add it to the PS3 because it wasn't really affecting them - there was no rival capable of it. But you do actually think not having the functionality has affected PS3 revenue.
If it did start to affect the ££ (if M$ were to add it - can't see it though) then they would definitely add it.
I don't think many PS3 sales have been missed due to the lack solely of mkv playback - hence it hasn't affected them too much - hence they haven't added it. Yet. :)

Axum

Distinguished Member
No, don't think it's affected them too much, and not really thinking about other consoles, thinking about the standalone media players that I mentioned earlier.

Maybe if the PS3 supported more formats, mkv being one, then more would have bought a PS3 as a Media Player with Blu-ray disc playback AND games-playing ability. Also, people that already owned PS3's and bought a standalone may not have bothered, and bought more games or something.

I don't think they'll ever add it to be honest. But I don't think it'll be long until it's added via a homebrew app.

b1g1an

Prominent Member
It plays mkvs with DD soundtracks fine, what it doesn't play is ones with DTS soundtracks which is what the majority of HD files on t'internet have.

A2a

Established Member
Yes but the AVI container isn't quite as solely associated is it... I mean, phones, cameras etc used to all produce content using this container, whereas nothing does the same with mkv.

OK, not sure why you're mentioning streaming, the OP's query has already been dealt with...Not streaming is all very well if you've got files in the correct format to start with.

3G files are also produced by phones... Besides, DIVX is the codec within AVI's which means that Sony implemented playback compatibility.

My first post within this thread was stating the fact that Sony BD players now playback MKVs so surely with the PS3 being a certifed DiVX bit of kit should be up to the same standards. Your argument regarding piracy is almost irrevelant since my point was how come it's on other Sony devices but not the PS3? Also, I'm sure Sony are equally pushing to shift more PS3 unit's than BD Players.

No, don't think it's affected them too much, and not really thinking about other consoles, thinking about the standalone media players that I mentioned earlier.

Maybe if the PS3 supported more formats, mkv being one, then more would have bought a PS3 as a Media Player with Blu-ray disc playback AND games-playing ability. Also, people that already owned PS3's and bought a standalone may not have bothered, and bought more games or something.

I don't think they'll ever add it to be honest. But I don't think it'll be long until it's added via a homebrew app.

I recall seeing the PS3 dubbed to be the ultimate media playback machine at the heart of the front room. I still think it is nearly there, just MKV and the potentiality to customise frontends for experiences similar to that of XMBC.

fourmotion

Standard Member
This is one of the reasons i'm switching to a Linux home build HTPC. Its such a ballache not being able to just play what i want. The frontend of XBMC looks seriously good compared to the PS3 generic folder structure too.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
This is one of the reasons i'm switching to a Linux home build HTPC. Its such a ballache not being able to just play what i want. The frontend of XBMC looks seriously good compared to the PS3 generic folder structure too.

I wouldn't bother with the homebuild......Acer Revo's are such a good price at the moment and the combination of Atom CPU and ION GPU menas they are quiet, sip electricity and still have the grunt for 1080p playback.

very very pleased with mine.

I'm running XBMC btw...;)

enricokael2005

Established Member
If most DivX BD/DVD players can play MKV files (if they are certified) then why hasn't brought the PS3 up to the same standard to play such files? :-s

I really can't understand the paradox of it...
All latest bluray players can play .mkv files but only accept FAT32 formatted USB/HDDs which by default cannot accept files larger than 4GB.
All .mkv movies that I have are between 5 and 22 GB (10 GB in average)... :thumbsdow

Any suggestions?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom