MKV's and Vista 32bit

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Graham Sims, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Graham Sims

Graham Sims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I am in the middle of reinstalling vista on my HTPC as the last build was playing up.
    Could anyone please recommend which is the best codec to install to play mkv's on Vista 32bit, I also need it to send out dts and dd to my amp.
    Is the CCCP one the best?
    I am using Media Centre to play MKV's and also my ripped DVD's that are on the hard drive.

Thanks for looking.

Graham

2. tom1379

tom1379

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    MKV is just a container and you can put pretty much any kind of video/audio in there you want, it is not an actual format.

I would recommend using Haali Media Splitter along with FFDShow. I try to stay away from codec packs as they seem to always install more than is necessary and write values to registry etc that you can never really get rid of easily if you decide to uninstall.

As for sending DD/DTS most people (including myself) use AC3 Filter. You just need to enable the SPDIF output in the options.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  3. Graham Sims

Graham Sims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am confused (doesn't take much), I thought mkv was another codec like divx, xvid etc. Will have to do some reading.

Thanks for your advice.

Graham

4. timbow

timbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Matroska (MKV) is a container for the sound and video. In order to get at them, you need what is called a splitter. Haali's is seen almost as the defacto standard now.

As regards playing the video, it depends on what it is. Alot of .mkv files are used to contain hidef material in h.264, or VC1 codecs. If you want free, and hardware accelerated, then you can't go wrong with either mpc-hc player, or the standalone codes. These can be downloaded from here. If you are using something like mediaportal as a frontend, then the standalone codecs work well. You will need to register the ones you want (you do this by using regsvr32 <codecfile.ax>.