mkv2vob 2.4

Axum

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just to let you know, if you didn't already, that mkv2vob has been updated :

V2.4.0 20/Jan/2009
Added AVCHD: Disc output mode (note: AVCHD is same as Blu-Ray so you can burn to BD-R too).
Added AVCHD: USB output mode (AVCHD on a usb drive).
Added AVCHD: USB output mode automatic splitting and playback for FAT32 without movie interruption.
Added AVCHD: DTS + Subtitles support without transcoding.
Added AVCHD: Automatically import chapter information from MKV.
Added AVCHD: Patch TSmuxeR AVCHD output to remove green bar without re-encoding.
Added AVCHD: Patch TSmuxeR AVCHD output to make subtitles play automatically.
Added AVCHD: Patch TSmuxeR AVCHD output to fix wrong m2ts file size indicator (causes freezing on splits).
Added x264 High Quality transcoding mode (almost lossless, file size is about 3x original),
Added option to convert incompatible audio to PCM instead of AC3 (requires HDMI audio decoder).
Added support for ASS subtitles.
Added Stop/Pause button.
Added detection of bad manual installation (cause of mkv parse error, please use the installer).
Added option to disable automatic update.
Added use standard Win32 API to run tools, should help with running in emulator on MAC/Linux.
Added support for DTS-ES audio.
Added support for VORBIS audio.
Added support for multi-core XviD encoding.
Improved x264 transcoding speed on multi-core processors.
Improved x264 transcoding speed by optimizing settings.
Fixed VirtualDubMod error when transcoding codec is set to XviD but no transcoding was required.
Fixed wrong audio codec muxed in XviD when the source mkv did not have an AC3 track.
Fixed progress bar not working in XviD muxing stage when no splitting required.
Fixed some letters missing in some subtitle languages.
Fixed Arabic subtitles not displayed correctly.
Fixed Unexpected Operation error on some files with AAC audio.
Fixed too big/small MPEG2 transcoded files.
Fixed file splitting was undersized by 2.34% (note: a little undersizing is normal).
Fixed "Installation ended prematurely" error with installer on some systems.
Fixed transcoded audio unplayable or with dropouts/clicks on some decoders.
Fixed various other minor bugs.
Removed file extension option, it is now set automatically (rename it manually if you want).
NOTE: PS3 Firmware 2.53 or higher is required, earlier version you will get no audio.

The changes seem excellent to me, not tried it yet though! Apparently some issues with the latest version but these are being worked on..

Pleased to see a Stop/Pause added :thumbsup:

I've re-muxed a 720p MKV i had handy as PCM audio and High quality x264. Will compare later with copy i had already remuxed in old version.

Last edited:
Nice to see that they have sorted the green bar problem out.:thumbsup:

Time to have a play with it i think.:smashin:

The MKv2vob help forum is a very good place for sorting all your problems out, helped me anyway. Talking direct to the developers is priceless.

Excellent, that will be a good test...

I wasn't sure what the "PCM" option is for (can't try it out till i get home), can you enlighten me ? Is it all to do with what gets sent to the amp ?

PCM should mean your amp receives the audio stream UNencoded for it to decode and process itself and split the stream accordingly where as an AC3 stream sent to the amp is already decoded and the amp just outputs what it receives "as is"

What do we put for output type now ? all i have is file, AVCHD-Disc or AVCHD-usb or Fle ?

Thanks i just found out and it seems to do it quicker now or am i imagining things.

What bearing, if any, would this have on DTS playback, off the HDD/streaming ?

not sure :confused:

Don't think it will make any difference but I'd like to think the DTS to PCM conversion would give a DTS like multichannel input feed to the AMP :confused: who knows.... :confused:

I'll get hold of a DTS MKV to test.

Thanks i just found out and it seems to do it quicker now or am i imagining things.

It should be, i think he's made multiple changes, especially for beefier machines, to utilize multiple cores etc...

Don't think it will make any difference but I'd like to think the DTS to PCM conversion would give a DTS like multichannel input feed to the AMP :confused: who knows.... :confused:

I have no idea also!! I've posted on the forum for some clarification, in the mean time, test test test!!!

I did an mkv with dts in about 12 mins so that is good.

Yes, that's correct (someone replied to my mkv2vob posting), as long as you're connected via HDMI.

OK I've found a pre-converted MKV with DTS audio on a backup drive. Conversion to LPCM running now. It's a 2-pass conversion and seems to be taking quite a while. (remote desktop connection to home ;))

When i get home tonight I'll stream it over to the PS3/Onkyo and see what bitrate audio we get.

I also have an AC3 conversion of the same file so should be able to run a useful comparison.

AC3 is max 640k and DTS around 1500k iirc so should be quite a difference hopefully :smashin:

Ye it said it was transcoding.

has anyone done a 1080 with dts yet ?

Last edited:
OK tested a couple of 720p MKV's remuxed to mpg with PCM audio.

Movie i tested was a cough:rolleyes: copy of Underworld

all i can say is if you have a HDMI receiver and your PC isn't fast enough for on the fly transcoding to PCM using PMS then this is the way to Stream. Difference in Audio quality over AC3 is immediately noticeable.

Audio stream bitrate of AC3's is 640kbps, bitrate of PCM streams is 4.6mbps!!

If your running wireless and already have stuttering with HD streaming forget this option as it uses a fair chunk of bandwidth, if your wired go for it ;)

Last edited:
That's great news, thanks for that.

To be honest I haven't got the time to look into and test the myriad of options PMS gives you for on-the-fly transcoding, and I want the best I can get, and I'm pretty sure mkv2vob delivers that.

Sound has always been an issue for me, but this is good news indeed...

Thanks for the quick testing/reporting...appreciated.

To be honest I haven't got the time to look into and test the myriad of options PMS gives you for on-the-fly transcoding, and I want the best I can get, and I'm pretty sure mkv2vob delivers that.

Same here, i use PMS as i like the custom cover art feature but i really don't have the time (or backend PC grunt) for all the transcoding options so top quailty MKV conversion streamed via PMS is the best option for me.

Also forgot to mention that using PCM and high quality x264 options resulted in almost double file size compared to AC3/standard x264 conversion.

video wasn't being transcoded on the file i done yesterday though so the extra size must be due just to the uncompressed PCM audio.

Last edited:
I think i'm approaching what would be THE best conversion scenario :

mkv WITH DTS :
Select x264 High Quality
Select output type as AVCHD USB

This will keep the DTS sound, fool the PS3 into playing it back as it thinks it's a disc (apparently - Uridium need your testing skills here!). The only query remaining is if mkv2vob will split the files that will appear in the STREAM folder to be FAT32 compliant (which i think it does), and then, finally, how will the PS3 cope with those multiple files...

Obviously this is "unstreamable", it will have to be played back via an external HDD/USB stick.

mkv WITH AC3 only :
Select x264 HQ
Select PCM instead of AC3
Select File as output type

This enables the converted file to be streamed with PCM.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom