• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MKV streaming to SONY W5500

maxx001

Standard Member
Hi there,

I'm not sure if i'm supposed to be posting this but I have been reading alot about the Sony W5500. One thing what came up a million times was the possibility of sharing MKV files to the tv set (or the lack of it).

A few days ago I still decided to buy one of these television sets and I must say until now I'm verry sattified with it. After a bit of playing around I decided to try the streaming fuctions, I started with some Xvids and vob files and the seamed to play nice. Stubborn as I am I downloaded a MKV sample and put it in my Library (this was all on a windows computer with media player 11), and what a surprise,.... nothing showed up.

Now here is my big finding, and maybe someone allready wrote this before and this is old news but I still want to share it with all of you. I'm also playing around with the new Windows 7 RC which you can use for free until june 2010 or something. In this release the mediaplayer version is 12.0.7100.0.

When I put the sample MKV file that did not work before on media player 11 in my media player 12 library on the windows 7 machine, it showed up on the W5500 television and it played....:clap:
There is only one drawback, the secound MKV file I tried also showed up but there was no sound but maybe this is because I havent had the time to install a toslink cable to my amplifier yet.

I hope you all can read my english, and that I am not posting old news here.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
This is because WMP11 will only stream files it natively supports. WMP11 doesn't support MKV's so won't stream them.

WMP12 in Win7 has native MKV support so will stream them as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom