• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mkv files

MANDATE

Standard Member
I own a philips cineos 42pfl9532/98 lcd, also a philips dvd home theatre system HTS8140 and a xbox 360
and none of them can play a mkv file through their usb slots.Xvid is fine but no mkv and since all my questions are relating with this subject matter i am going to divide them accordingly.

1.Is there any way i can get these files to play in any one of the selected media and if conversion or any other method is a possibility i would like to know what i will be loosing in the process.I know quality is a given but anything else i should know about.

2.I thought of burning some the files into a dvd 9 and maybe my player will support that but in case of files larger than 8 gb that's not possbile.

3.I use a simple method for applying subs, i just rename the file according to the main file and it works.Is this how it also works for MKV files.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I own a philips cineos 42pfl9532/98 lcd, also a philips dvd home theatre system HTS8140 and a xbox 360
and none of them can play a mkv file through their usb slots.Xvid is fine but no mkv and since all my questions are relating with this subject matter i am going to divide them accordingly.

1.Is there any way i can get these files to play in any one of the selected media and if conversion or any other method is a possibility i would like to know what i will be loosing in the process.I know quality is a given but anything else i should know about.

2.I thought of burning some the files into a dvd 9 and maybe my player will support that but in case of files larger than 8 gb that's not possbile.

3.I use a simple method for applying subs, i just rename the file according to the main file and it works.Is this how it also works for MKV files.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Neither of your Devices will play an MKV without first doing some re-encoding first.

MKV's are container's NOT files 'usually' containing a H264 video stream along with either a 5.1 AC3 or DTS audio stream (along with various subtitles)

Your phillips system is never going to play these files without fully trancoding the HD video within into a SD stream such as Xvid or DivX. Pretty pointless really

The Xbox will play the H264 video but not the audio so the MKV will need to be run through some sort of conversion app first to make it Xbox360 'friendly'. probably WMV-HD or MP4 are the likely options.

Try googling for Xbox 360 MKV conversion

MANDATE

Standard Member
I SEE
i actually have found a workaround
its called this thing mkv2vob
supposedly it can mux or whatever without any audio or video loss
hard for me to believe but worth giving a shot
since it doesn't matter which system i run it on and that i have a 500 gb portable hard disk, its how i go onto achieving this as long as quality is same as it would have been in the original mkv file.

Kaos_vauxhall

Established Member
Hi

This may be pointless as you may not want to buy more hardware but you may think about buying a media player unit their pretty cheap Western digital WD00AVP is the one i got and it plays Every thing, It cost me £50 and everything i played on it so far just played, it comes with its own remote. and on Screen GUI.

its HDMI 1080p so woohooo

and it just plug n play with hard drives.

and it comes with a bundle of compressors and coding software to convert your own DVDs n what not :)

hope that helped :)

MANDATE

Standard Member
that sounds totally awesome man
too bad we can't find things like those over here
still thanks for the informative reply though peace

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I SEE
i actually have found a workaround
its called this thing mkv2vob
supposedly it can mux or whatever without any audio or video loss
hard for me to believe but worth giving a shot
since it doesn't matter which system i run it on and that i have a 500 gb portable hard disk, its how i go onto achieving this as long as quality is same as it would have been in the original mkv file.

Remember though that MKV2VOB was witten for PS3 Trancoding/Remuxing.

Be careful with the output container and audio codecs you choose as many won't playback on the 360.

RBJTech

Established Member
I use a utility called GOTSent (google it) - it demux's the MKV into an MP4 that can be played on both the 360 and PS3. It uses freeware but 'standard tools' and is essentially just a front end GUI. It keeps the original h264 video stream and converts the AC3/DTS into a AAC (Stereo) so the 360 can play it. You can do a few more wizzy things on the PS3 but I haven't tried those. Pretty fast too - 2-3 mins for a conversion but this depends on your hardware though I guess ... :)

MANDATE

Standard Member
Remember though that MKV2VOB was witten for PS3 Trancoding/Remuxing.

Be careful with the output container and audio codecs you choose as many won't playback on the 360.
YOU are right about that
as far as i know 360 doesn't support AVCHD
hope the sound HTS 8140 sound bar does
some thing has to work right
i mean at least transcoding isn't the same as converting where quality loss is an issue and with the the new version supposedly i can retain 5.1 DTS

MANDATE

Standard Member
I use a utility called GOTSent (google it) - it demux's the MKV into an MP4 that can be played on both the 360 and PS3. It uses freeware but 'standard tools' and is essentially just a front end GUI. It keeps the original h264 video stream and converts the AC3/DTS into a AAC (Stereo) so the 360 can play it. You can do a few more wizzy things on the PS3 but I haven't tried those. Pretty fast too - 2-3 mins for a conversion but this depends on your hardware though I guess ... :)
I'll keep that in mind if this thing doesn't work
although sounds very similar to the xenon if you ask me

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom