Mkv files

MANDATE

Standard Member
I own a philips cineos 42pfl9532/98 lcd, also a philips dvd home theatre system HTS8140 and a xbox 360
and none of them can play a mkv file through their usb slots.Xvid is fine but no mkv and since all my questions are relating with this subject matter i am going to divide them accordingly.

1.Is there any way i can get these files to play in any one of the selected media and if conversion or any other method is a possibility i would like to know what i will be loosing in the process.I know quality is a given but anything else i should know about.

2.I thought of burning some the files into a dvd 9 and maybe my player will support that but in case of files larger than 8 gb that's not possbile.

3.I use a simple method for applying subs, i just rename the file according to the main file and it works.Is this how it also works for MKV files.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Last edited:

Curly99

Distinguished Member
this isn't really a Television question, more of an encoding codec type question that probably could be asked in a few of the computer or 360 forum, your best bet is to post in one of the appropriate forums

MANDATE

Standard Member
To make mkv's work on the ps3 I use mkv2vob, it only takes a few seconds and doesn't reduce quality.

mkv2vob Forums - New Releases and Downloads

give that a try because any other converting takes much more time and effort. I think it will work for the 360 but not really sure.

are you serious man
no quality loss
i will definitely give that a try then
doesn't matter if it works for the 360 or not
as long as i can play the files on something I'll be happy
thanks

MANDATE

Standard Member
hey man another user here by the name of CDR told me to try this thing, http://xenonmkv.ev98.net/.Checked it out and there are some downsides to that, i haven't tried your way yet but as i said before the 360 doesn't matter its the sound bar that i think it won't work for.The thing that bothers me is that like the xeno thing does the mkv thing reduce audio quality.

MickMclovin

Standard Member
I'd reccomend something like the WD Media player. Great little device and thats your cheapest option it your not wanting to convert and files and sacrifice the loss of quality.

If any converting is done there will ALWAYS be some loss of quality. It really depends on the codec you use. Im pretty sure x264 is meant to produce the least quality loss.

MANDATE

Standard Member
I'd reccomend something like the WD Media player. Great little device and thats your cheapest option it your not wanting to convert and files and sacrifice the loss of quality.

If any converting is done there will ALWAYS be some loss of quality. It really depends on the codec you use. Im pretty sure x264 is meant to produce the least quality loss.
thanks for the tip
ill remember that
peace

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom