MKV files only play stereo sound

Pretzel

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've converted a half dozen MKV files with mkv2vob including a blu ray rip and I cannot get any to play in 5.1 DTS. These files of course are backups of my owned movies.

I have my PS3 Slim set to bitstream and auto sound connected to my Denon AVR-790 via HDMI. It's my understanding that the PS3 will show the output as 2-channel, however the Receiver should be decoding 5.1 DTS. For whatever reason I cannot get this to work with any MKV.

I've tried the files over PS3 Media Server, USB and copied to the hard drive. Same results with all.. just stereo...

AVI files work just fine.. not sure why MKV does not.

Well first off, I've streamed the original MKV files without touching it at all (including a 9GB ripped Blu ray) and still get stereo sound.

I've also tried to transcode with mkv2vob

Output Type to be "File"
Video Transcoding to be Automatic
Audio, didn't mess with anything

I've also made sure the left + right are set on the ps3 with normal sound.

avi's play fine in 5.1
I get pretty blue lights (HD DTS) on my blu rays
but still stereo everytime on my mkv's

I can't solve the riddle

Are any of the source files you have .mts/.m2ts files ? You could always try running one through multiAVCHD, creating an AVCHD output, sticking that on a USB drive, and then seeing what you got...

I'm afraid i can't help any more, hopefully Uridium (who's pretty clued up on everything sound-wise) will appear and offer some extra help...

When you play one of the MKV's (preconverted or as is with PS3MS) press the select button on the remote to bring up codec info at top of screen and tell us what audio the PS3 says it's outputting...

OP, try selecting the transcode DTS option.
Uridium, sometimes when I convert I get no sound at all and others it's OK. On DTS tracks the PS3 says 2CH (pressing the 'Display' button) but the amp shows DTS and it is indeed 5.1. Is that something to do with DTS tracks needing to be on disc for the PS3 to 'properly' see them?

The transcode DTS option will transcode DTS to AC3, which may give better than stereo results but doesn't explain why he can't get DTS. He could try checking the PCM option as well...

Any normal mkv with DTS present and those checkboxes not checked will have the DTS track patched automatically, which fools the PS3 as yes, DTS is only supported when playing back off-disc or via AVCHD mode.

..Any normal mkv with DTS present and those checkboxes not checked will have the DTS track patched automatically, which fools the PS3...
On the checkboxes thing I try to keep it unchecked to keep DTS and usually it's OK (TV hisses but fine through amp - exactly what you would expect) but occasionally gives nothing and I have to re-do it and transcode the DTS. Does that make sense?
When you say 'fools the PS3' do you mean it displays 2CH but actually does see and pass through the DTS signal?

Yes that's what i mean.

So in your circumstance, when you transcode, you're ending up with AC3 sound, which is not bad in any way obviously, just not DTS, if you can actually hear the difference!

if you can actually hear the difference!
Well......despite what many claim, I don't believe there's much/any difference in the vast majority of DTS tracks - but they're encoded slightly louder and people perceive it to be 'better'. Say you've switched to DTS but just turn it up a bit and people always say the second was DTS and sounded better.... but that's for a different argument.... ;)

tnx for all the responses.. will test everything out tomorrow after work and report back..

Well......despite what many claim, I don't believe there's much/any difference in the vast majority of DTS tracks - but they're encoded slightly louder and people perceive it to be 'better'. Say you've switched to DTS but just turn it up a bit and people always say the second was DTS and sounded better.... but that's for a different argument.... ;)

Problem i've always found with DTS is that people's voices tend to be quieter whilst everything else seems to be louder!

When you play one of the MKV's (preconverted or as is with PS3MS) press the select button on the remote to bring up codec info at top of screen and tell us what audio the PS3 says it's outputting...

From playing pre-converted MKV (ripped blu ray) over PS3 Media Server
It says: Dolby Digital 2 Ch. 48kHz 380ish kbps AVC 12ish Mbps

When I do convert on mkv2vob I use these settings

25663578.png

Last edited:
Well settings look right in MKV2VOB....

When you convert an MKV in MKV2VOB does it actually say "Patching DTS" during first stage of conversion?

No, it says no transcode and honestly only takes a couple minutes. Seems like it's doing nothing to the file?

It is, it's changing the file header to be PS3-friendly..

Listen, this may sound stupid, but are you SURE the original file has a DTS stream in it ? It could possibly have AC3 AND DTS....Load it up into MediaInfo...

It is, it's changing the file header to be PS3-friendly..

Listen, this may sound stupid, but are you SURE the original file has a DTS stream in it ? It could possibly have AC3 AND DTS....Load it up into MediaInfo...

I agree. Doesn't explain though why the audio is only outputting as Stereo not AC3.

Are you using PS3 Media server to stream? If so can you post a screen print of the Transcoding/Settings tab...

I agree. Doesn't explain though why the audio is only outputting as Stereo not AC3.

Are you using PS3 Media server to stream? If so can you post a screen print of the Transcoding/Settings tab...

I guess I can't exactly be sure if it is DTS or AC3.. but it shouldn't be stereo.

I haven't touched the settings in PS3 Media server so I'll look at that.

However, I have played the same files off a USB and directly off the PS3 harddrive with the same results..

I've tried a good half dozen mkv files with the same results..

Do you guys know of any small sample files that should absolutley stream dts or ac3 that I could verify with?

I guess I can't exactly be sure if it is DTS or AC3.. but it shouldn't be stereo.

I haven't touched the settings in PS3 Media server so I'll look at that.

However, I have played the same files off a USB and directly off the PS3 harddrive with the same results..

I've tried a good half dozen mkv files with the same results..

Do you guys know of any small sample files that should absolutley stream dts or ac3 that I could verify with?

Does sound like MKV2VOB is doing something odd..

Try removing with appwiz.cpl, make sure to manually delete any folders/binaries left over then redownload and install the latest copy. If using Vista/Win7 right click install as Admin to be sure.

could also try transcoding on-the-fly streaming an untouched MKV through PS3 media server and see what output you get.

Could the source file possibly just have a crap audio stream ?

I take it I'm just unlucky and every mkv I have is 2 channel?? Why the hell would you rip a blu-ray to 2 channel audio is beyond me.

Here's the media info:

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 1h 47mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 147 MiB (2%)

These files of course are backups of my owned movies.

I take it I'm just unlucky and every mkv I have is 2 channel?? Why the hell would you rip a blu-ray to 2 channel audio is beyond me.

classic :facepalm: ;)

At least we've found the cause of the prob. Was looking like being an odd one...

classic :facepalm: ;)

At least we've found the cause of the prob. Was looking like being an odd one...
I actually do own the movie I'm referencing (Equilibrium).. however I didn't do the rip. Thanks for your help. :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom