mkv files on ps3?

Stilojon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

New to using the Ps3 as a media player and wanted some help.

I have a bunch of 720p Mkv files that I have been trying to play on my PC with little luck, so I thought I might try my luck at hooking them up through my ps3?

Is this possible, I have my ps3 right next to my PC so was hoping to connect them through an ethernet cable rather than my exteranl HDD which is hooked up to my PC for now.

Can I play films fro my pc onto my ps3 into my 42" LCD?

What are the options and what should I be doing, or do I need to convert all the 720P mkv files?

Thanks

Search for "PS3 Media Server" or "mkv2vob" in google then report back if you're still stuck ;)

PS3 MS will basically transcode on-the-fly and stream to your PS3.

mkv2vob will transcode (if needed) the mkv into a file that's then playable on either the PS3, via copying and playing it from the internal HDD, via an external HDD, or also streamed using the same PS3 Media Server or WMP or TVersity...

Fantastic

I have this up and running however I think my pc is having problems transcoding the mkv files onto the ps3 because its an old P4 1.8ghx so im looking to sort that out.

1 questions following on from this.

If I was to hook up a 5.1 system to this setup would i hook it up to the ps3 optical output or the tv, i pressume the opitcal out from the ps3 will deliver the 5.1 sound.

also is it just mine but my ps3 makes a hell of a lot of noise when playing these mkv files.

Fantastic

I have this up and running however I think my pc is having problems transcoding the mkv files onto the ps3 because its an old P4 1.8ghx so im looking to sort that out.

1 questions following on from this.

If I was to hook up a 5.1 system to this setup would i hook it up to the ps3 optical output or the tv, i pressume the opitcal out from the ps3 will deliver the 5.1 sound.

also is it just mine but my ps3 makes a hell of a lot of noise when playing these mkv files.

If your PC lacks the grunt to transcode them on the fly try converting them to a PS3 native format first with MKV2VOB. Make sure if you aren't using a HDMI 5.1 setup that you check the "Always transcode DTS" option.

Not sure about the Noisy PS3, maybe go into video settings and try turning off upscaling. If it's trying to upscale them it will make the PS3 run hotter therefore noisier as the PS3 lacks a dedicated upscaling chipset so has to do this using the Cell CPU.

and yes connect the Ps3 straight to the 5.1 system using optical.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom