• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

.mkv files and GOTSENT

H

HDPio

Ok, i just converted Star Wars X264.mkv with gotsent.

It took about 15 minutes to complete, and it gave me 2 MKV files ? I thought the 360 cannot read mkv's? :suicide:

H

HDPio

See>>>

71oace9.jpg

kaidiez

Established Member
lol to save u from talking to urself forever ill help.

tbh i reckon u have done something wrong as for me GOTsent worked straight out the box after installing ac3filter, and only outputs two files if it totals more then 4gb. I would look back through your settings (even though off the top of my head i cant think of any...)

btw did u name that folder yourself? the one gotsent outputs to? mine does not do that automatically - so is possible you are looking in the wrong place. possibly check you are using latest version aswell

Slider09

Established Member
I have just tried this and it extracts 2 files from the mkv.

1. Video (movie.h264)
2. Audio (movie.mp3)

How will the xbox 360 play these files? Do they need combining back into 1 file?

kaidiez

Established Member
at the end of the process they get put back into a single file. mp4 i believe, yours sounds like it didnt finish.

It should say conversion done in gotsent and the command boxes should have all disappeared, am sure they all close in the step before the end and then gotsent joins the files. If it never joins them go back to the site and double check the instructions and make sure theres nothing that you have missed, mine has worked perfectly besides trying to set ac3 to 5.1 surround (causing it to fail with no errors took me ages to figure out the prob)

Also im sure the output before they are joined is .wav make sure you have ac3 selected and is on 2 stereo as a test unless you know another sound option definetly works

Slider09

Established Member
You are 100% correct, gotsent had not finished. But once it finished it deleted all files. I tried again, leaving the audio as AC3 (I changed it to mp3 originally) and it created a ".mp4' file.

Glad I stumbled across this thread, been wondering for a while how to get the 360 to play mkv's.

Cheers :smashin:

Slider09

Established Member
Another thought.

Does this also work with 1080p mkv files or just 720p?

SibTiger33

Prominent Member
Now when i try converting i get no output files !!!!!!!!!

what does the status say ? and the black command line box?

it first splits the mkvs , then splits the audio and video then puts it back together in the mp4 container.

it would seem as though u are having a problem at the audio (the most common problem with gotsent and other programs like yamb and videora) converting stage i would guess - but you should have some messages on screen telling you what is happening

i.e encoding audio

kaidiez

Established Member
when my audio was failing there were no messages, i only knew it was the audio because i used Red Kawa with the console turned on (i do not know how to get error messages to display in gotsent but then i didnt look just thought it had stopped working), and then remember i had changed the audio output to 5.1, changed it to the next best option in my eyes and left "As is" this completed but audio was just wrong, it didnt even closely match what was on the screen. In the end from memory i set the output to 2 Stereo, double check your ac3filter settings. I am not sure why you get 2 mkv files when it should be changing it to mp4 container though, if i had it in front of me I would post some screens if i remember when i get home ill do it for u then.

Should work with 1080p afaik, will have to try one later aswell have shrek 3 but my comp drops frames :( so streaming is the future i think.

JonnyGoon

Standard Member
Ive done a few mkv files to MPEG4 but the Xbox still wont see play them, Tried with and without the Mux to VOB, and safe sync (only way I could slow the video down to match the normal sound)

Only way so far Ive had sucess is through TVersity streaming, but my poor laptop isnt fast enough to transcode the 720p mkv media I have at the highest settings. Im going to see if streaming the MPEG4 instead places less demand on the transcode so I dont get the buffering pause every 15 seconds or so.

SilverSpider

Established Member
Ive done a few mkv files to MPEG4 but the Xbox still wont see play them, Tried with and without the Mux to VOB, and safe sync (only way I could slow the video down to match the normal sound)

Only way so far Ive had sucess is through TVersity streaming, but my poor laptop isnt fast enough to transcode the 720p mkv media I have at the highest settings. Im going to see if streaming the MPEG4 instead places less demand on the transcode so I dont get the buffering pause every 15 seconds or so.

Hi JonnyGoon,

I may be able to help this Thread you may have missed but it should help you out, I sorted your very problem a few days ago with help from that thread.

Its all in there just give it a good read through and see how you get on.

JonnyGoon

Standard Member
Thanks for the link Ill read it now.

I have just tried the MPEG4 GOTSent produced file with TVersity streaming to my XBox360 and it worked great, CPU only averages around 20% so no buffering problems this time like MKV. Whilst it streamed I tried converting another file from mkv to Mp4 and that worked fine with stuttering of the media only occuring in the final phase when the audio and visual is stitched up, and only lasted 15 seconds or so. So thats one way to optimise viewing/converting time.

720p on my Samsung 40M86 looks superb, going back to the SD stuff is somewhat disappointing, annoying that its broadcast in the quality in the states. :suicide:

G

goshops

I need some assistance.

I have gotsent, and I am trying to covernt an IronMan MKV to MP4, it works alright, but the file size I have is 8GB, and the output file is only 4GB, where is the other half of the movie? When I try to play the first half, I keep getting an error that it cannot play.

Secondly, when it starts with the MP4, I get an 'Error decoding sei message'

Anyone know what that means?

DongaTon

Prominent Member
I've been experimenting with mkv's yesterday. I used XenonMKV I think it is called, after a recommendation on here - it appears to have worked correctly, and has popped out a Quicktime Mp4 file for a 40 minute tv programme.

I've moved the file to My Videos where my other stuff is that the 360 sees for streaming, but the 360 doesn't appear to see this new file? Any ideass guys? ta!!!!

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Try renaming to .AVI rather than .MP4. If you're using WMP to do the biz, then it will "see" it as long as it's in one of your monitored folders.

DongaTon

Prominent Member
Sorry if I'm being thick here...but how do I do this? Simply put .avi at the end of its name? It is still showing as an MPEG 4 quicktime....

DongaTon

Prominent Member
My xbox still isn't seeing my converted MPEG 4 files that I did using MKVXenon/XenonMKV.

I've renamed them replacing the last section of the name with .avi

Currently trying to update my WMP 11 library for new video.

Please help! Only thing I can think of is that I get an error box coming up saying MP4 Box had to close unexpectedly - don[t know what that is, possibly something to do with the conversion process with XenonMKV?

Any help would be much appreciated - we were going to try and watch this stuff later.

Greg

DongaTon

Prominent Member
Try renaming to .AVI rather than .MP4. If you're using WMP to do the biz, then it will "see" it as long as it's in one of your monitored folders.

ps. This might be where I'm going wrong. I think the converted file perhaps isn't finished, maybe due to the error message I'm getting mentioned previously? So for example, when the conversion is done, this is the name of the file - I have it in My Videos as required, it has an MPEG4 tile icon, and it's called Inserttvtitlehere.S05E04.720p.HDTV.x264 or something like that?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom