MKV Conversions

ObsidianPhoenix

Standard Member
I recently bought a G20B HDTV, and a BT-735 (Both Panny) Bluray player. Unfortunately, I've since discovered that neither of them will play mkv files.

Can anyone suggest the best format to convert an mkv into (apparently it will take Divx HD, but I have no idea how this relates in terms of quality), and whether there are any good (free preferably, but I dont mind paying for a good one) apps that will perform the converter.

Alternatively, could I set up my PC as a media server, and play the mkv's through that over the network connection? If so, how?

Thanks
Fergal

StevieBuck

If your MKV files happen to have a resolution of 1280x720 or 1920x1080, you can use tsMuxeR to remux them in the correct format for an AVCHD disk. All you have to do is then burn that to DVD or Blu-ray they will play.

If you have a few MKVs, you can use multiAVCHD which will do the same and also add in a basic menu for you.

If your files have a different resolution to what I mentioned above, you will have to re-encode. I'm not sure if multiAVCHD can do that for you, but AVCHDcoder will.

Re-encoding will take some time though. If you will be watching MKVs a lot, you may be better looking at getting a separate media player that can handle playing them.

DJBlade

Re-encoding will take some time though. If you will be watching MKVs a lot, you may be better looking at getting a separate media player that can handle playing them.
Hi, Im interested in this, so a media player such as .. ?

ObsidianPhoenix

Standard Member
If your MKV files happen to have a resolution of 1280x720 or 1920x1080, you can use tsMuxeR to remux them in the correct format for an AVCHD disk. All you have to do is then burn that to DVD or Blu-ray they will play.

If you have a few MKVs, you can use multiAVCHD which will do the same and also add in a basic menu for you.

If your files have a different resolution to what I mentioned above, you will have to re-encode. I'm not sure if multiAVCHD can do that for you, but AVCHDcoder will.

Cheers for this. Its a real pain that neither device will play them to be honest. But never mind I suppose.

The TV can stream from a media server. Is transcoding and streaming over the LAN an option?

Trending threads

Top Bottom