Mkm's Collection

Mkm

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally moved into the new place and now that I've begun to unpack, I thought I'd start up a mini-thread :)

The Office Setup:
I've decided to go with an array of the ever popular Ikea Detolfs, sat atop 5 single unit 1x1 Expedits* in a corner arrangement.

Unfortunately, the corner they're going in has the router, etc. in it. I've set the single corner piece is set forward slightly, so I can slide it out to access the corner (it's mounted on pads) while the side pieces are up against the wall and will be screwed into place to aid stability and any untoward knocks.

I went with the Dioder LED strip lights, and after looking at several guides, had my mind all made up about how I was going to set them up, then I actually tried it out. I eventually learnt that for me, the best setup was to have them stuck horizontally, but inset slightly from the front edge. This gave me the lighting effect I liked best (without using another set of Dioders), while minimising the shadows. When it was stuck to the front edge, I found that 1/6th scale figures' heads can end up in the shade.

Cable wise, I ran them all along and down the back of the metal poles, using cable ties to secure them and keep them taut, before running them out via a couple of holes I drilled into the wooden base plate**. I'd seen the various posts about using cable tidy tubes, but I didn't have them to hand...anyhow I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out, so I'm going to leave it be :cool: The only thing I will do is paint/use marker to black out the section of cable that's visible going from the base of the pole to the hole.

Conveniently, the switch for the Dioders is pretty much the same thickness as the feet of the Detolf, so it can fit nice and snug at the front there until such a time as I either plug in all the lights into a timer unit or find a nice (cheap?) motion sensor control unit.

Looking at it now, another possible mod would be to put some dark paint into the grooves the glass side and back panels rest in. Something for the future maybe...

Some details for those who might find it useful:
Dioder LED strip inset from front edge of wood top: 75mm
Dioder LED strip inset from front edge of glass: 45mm

Here's some blurry mobile pictures of the progress so far: (with some random figures thrown in there, no arranging yet!)

B280A3EA-49A6-403B-95BE-9C1F17093FD4_zpsl9sydwkv.jpg

Max Factory's The Goddess Belldandy with Holy Bell, Medicom's RAH Eva Unit 2 (movie ver.) alongside her pilot, Kotobukiya's Asuka Langley Shikinami (also movie ver.), Hot Toys Agent Phil Coulson and the Mark VII Iron Man, and finally the Classic Predator. I hope to get some decent, less blurry shots once the rest of the Detolfs are setup :)

6E2420B5-BC74-431D-8141-ECBF0C5EA785_zpscgqwrgfp.jpg

Mods to come:
  • Taking the handy cardboard piece that came with the Detolfs and painting it with the matching wall paint to use as a masking back plate for the corner Detolf to help hide the router, etc. behind it.
  • Maybe sticking in some insulation padding tape along the front edges to minimise dust ingress.

Will update as I progress, got me some more unboxing to do! No prizes for spotting OSB's distinctive packaging!

FF206D7D-914B-46A6-90E2-6BB5ADF5ADEA_zpshj7qxglm.jpg

Mike

*Note 1: I learnt recently that Ikea are discontinuing the Expedit range and replacing it with 'Kallux'. It looks similar, but the chunky external pieces are now a cm or two thinner. I personally prefer the chunkier look, so this is a bit of a bummer for me. Also, consistency!

**Note 2: If you're doing this, be sure to leave enough space for the Detolf's feet!

That's a fair amount of boxes there Mike.

You need to get your pics up of the Getter Robo stuff would love to see what those are like...one of my best Anime ever that is (along with Gaiking & Grendizer - one day I will have the Soul of Chogokin's of them both)

Look forward to more updates

Neil

Where abouts will you be putting Rex, sir?

Not in a Detolf, that's for sure! I don't have anything big enough for Rex, so I think I'll be sitting him on top of something for now. He might be a bit too high up on top of the Detolfs, so I'll likely place him on top of one of the Expedits for now. At least he's chunky enough that dusting him won't be a complete pain...

Not in a Detolf, that's for sure!
Lol! :laugh: One of the issues of owning a beast of a piece, eh? ;)

I don't have anything big enough for Rex, so I think I'll be sitting him on top of something for now. He might be a bit too high up on top of the Detolfs, so I'll likely place him on top of one of the Expedits for now.
Would he fit on top of a detolf? Are they capable of holding Rex's weight? Are they fairly sturdy units then?

Please post a pic when you get him settled. I'd love to see him again. :)

At least he's chunky enough that dusting him won't be a complete pain...
Bah, dust. I hate the stuff! :mad:

Small update:

All base Expedit units anchored in place, couple more Detolfs assembled and lit, and painted cardboard backing in place.

Need to paint the right adjacent wall before completing the rest of the Detolfs. Have sourced glass door locks, but maybe a dremel would be better for drilling out the small hole for it on the underside of the top panel.

Still undecided on lighting controls, maybe some kinda PIR sensor.

Another blurry mobile shot (I'll start taking proper photos once everything's in):

B98A51AF-6852-4B7D-9706-C4822419B1D3_zpsxut1fare.jpg

Last edited:
Very very nice

Love the Getter Robo stuff, poses look awesome :)

Congrats on the display

First non-mobile photo update!

Have actually finished all the Detolfs now, but haven't unpacked anything else to go in it yet!

Edit: Added some daytime shots to the figure posts

IMG_5070_zps36769cba.jpg

First up; Max Factory's 1/7 and Good Smile's Nendoroid "Kureha" from Shining Wind:

IMG_5079_zps30791648.jpg

IMG_5078_zps73e0ddab.jpg

IMG_5082_zpse64b1a52.jpg

IMG_5081_zps2f5f89f7.jpg

IMG_5264_zps7e3429d1.jpg

IMG_5267_zps5e7d65b9.jpg

IMG_5268_zps2fedf62d.jpg

Last edited:
Gift's 1/8 "Saber" from Fate/Stay Night and Good Smile's 1/8 Shunya Yamashi ta's "Nida Schuetlich":

IMG_5102_zps8ef52aae.jpg

IMG_5101_zps4079ed33.jpg

IMG_5104_zpsafe76d24.jpg

IMG_5302_zpsa5e3ad87.jpg

IMG_5304_zpsa8c4f952.jpg

IMG_5305_zpsb9f3f610.jpg

Last edited:
Medicom's "Real Action Heroes" Eva Unit 2 (movie ver.) alongside her pilot, Kotobukiya's 1/6 Asuka Langley Shikinami (also movie ver.):

IMG_5142_zpse580f83c.jpg

IMG_5143_zpsa7be8ea9.jpg

IMG_5147_zpsbbd731a4.jpg

IMG_5148_zpsce9755b8.jpg

Thanks Tommy. Some of them are looking better than they are, as they're scaled down, I need to practice more with the DSLR - it's a Canon 40D with a EF24-105mm lens.

Absolutely love those pics, Mkm. :smashin: I think you are doing just fine with your DSLR. ;) Keep them coming. :)

A request - pictures of REX please. :D

Absolutely stunning stuff buddy
Loving the Fewture Getter Robo pieces those are amazing.

Neil

I love the Fewture stuff! I think their fresh take on the classic designs are fantastic.

Lol@Bemused; Yes! Will be setting up Rex at some point, unpacking more of the collection into the Detolfs first. I've got a spot in mind for Rex now at least, (on top of a Expedit on the other side of the fireplace), but I need to suss out some lighting for the area.

Love the lighting on the cabinets. This is exactly how I want mine to look, are they the weak white lights?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom