mk4 mondeo fuel consumption

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
got a 2 l petrol and done just over a thousand miles , the fuel consumption is awful , averaging low 20's to the gallon , its booked in at the dealers to check it out , the guy on the desk was spouting on about it needing 3000 miles to get good fuel consumption , tight engine etc being the remark he made , 3000 miles sounds excessive to me , thoughts anyone :)

Ayub

Distinguished Member
I think the car has a problem. I would ask for the car to be taken in and checked over reguardless of what the man on the desk says.

it will pick up and the mpg wil improve with use, however if there isnt an actual fault found, ie no fault codes on IDS, or the tech actualy does further tests and all is well after replacing known good parts but nothing seems to fix what your complaining about then ford wil do nothing as the mpg is only government claimed figures etc etc.

could well be a dodgy MAF sensor,

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
i expect it to improve with more miles , but not to the extent it is going to have to improve to , sticking my finger up the exhaust pipe i was greeted with a very black sooty oily greasy fingertip , not what i was expecting at all :(

gibbsy

Very disappointed with the published mpg for the new petrol estate. I need to have an automatic now and only the diesel gives 38mpg. The new Mazda 6 petrol automatic gives almost 37 and will be cheaper to buy. Shame I really lived the look of the new Mondeo estate.

I had a Cougar V6 auto some years ago. Slightly lower than the published mpg but on a good run more than made up for it. Got slightly better with age but when new was acceptable. Think you may have to have another word with your dealer.

post back what the dealer says, if it goes on i can log in to see what ford technical have recomended if anything

martin10

Novice Member
got a 2 l petrol and done just over a thousand miles , the fuel consumption is awful , averaging low 20's to the gallon , its booked in at the dealers to check it out , the guy on the desk was spouting on about it needing 300 miles to get good fuel consumption , tight engine etc being the remark he made , 3000 miles sounds excessive to me , thoughts anyone :)
What model do you have ? I have a 2.0 petrol Titanium X on a 56 plate and my fuel consumption is rubbish ( low 20's )

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
What model do you have ? I have a 2.0 petrol Titanium X on a 56 plate and my fuel consumption is rubbish ( low 20's )
hi , its the zetec , love the car , just cant cope with the fuel consumption :eek: , having noticed that it seems to take an age to warm up , 4 miles to not even get into the 90's seems excessive , which leads me to think the car is overfuelling because it is cold , and then the extremely black tailpipe supports the overfueling theory :(

edit --- so on a 56 plate you will have done a lot more than 3000 miles i assume ???

martin10

Novice Member
done just over 6000 miles

I do alot of short journeys and the trip computer is saying an average of 19mpg so that may be the cause of the poor fuel return

It has a lot of tech stuff on it ( heated/cold front seats, bluetooth, )
Does this stuff make a difference to fuel consumption ??

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
just got back from the dealers , all sorted apart from the mpg issue , they are still saying give it another thousand miles or so , i fear i am going to have to do this just to let them see what they say about it in a bit , time as they say will tell i reckon :rolleyes:

Steve.J.Davies

Novice Member
sounds like a the brush off - modern engines much better built than in days of yore. "running in" is a physical thing - the electrics and sensors don't need it. to get better consumption from the figure you have now to the claimed mpg would mean that the engine was currently very 'tight' indeed and the physical resistance of the engine is eating the fuel (absorbing all extra the fuel energy you are burning IF the car behaving according to spec). Compare mpgs (actual and claimed) on a percentage basis.. thats a lot of extra fuel energy being burned if the dealer is correct..

For it to loosen up enough in the next thousand miles to reach the claimed mpg would need a lot of 'wearing in' to happen. So much so that I would call it 'wearing out' and get shot of the car.
have never had a new car that gave me that duff an mpg, am used to slightly lower mpg for the first thousand miles or so but after that...

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
completely agree with your thoughts , if it does not improve i have one course of action that should stand me in good stead , the car is a motability car , so it is in effect a 3 year lease car , i might just make some enquiries as to what their thoughts on the subject are , thanks for the help :thumbsup:

zircon3035

Paul,
I bought a Focus CC3 last month and have just completed 1500 miles. It's the 2.0 litre Duratec 145 petrol version (same engine?). Comparing the Ford figures, my car is 40 to 70 Kg heavier than the Mondeo, but I've managed to get 33 mpg right from the first week. That includes motorway driving and being stuck in traffic jams daily. So yes, your fuel consumption does look excessive.
Ian

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
thanks for that , it is i believe the same engine , i know this is going to sound distinctly bizarre , but bare with me , would you mind rubbing a finger around inside the tailpipe of the exhaust and let me know if it is really manky black or not :rotfl: , told you it was bizarre :hiya:

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Paul,

Just been out and done the "finger test". The tail pipe is slightly sooty, definitely not "manky".

Ian

hi, would you mind doing another test for me , this ones clean though :rotfl: , do you have an OK button on your sterring wheel , it might be for trip resets etc , if you do , could you hold it as you start the car and keep on holding it to see if the digital part of the dashboard goes into a diagnostic mode , if it does then keep tapping away on it till you see an engine temp display , if you have got that far can you comment on how long the engine takes to warm up , what happens if you use the cabin heater etc , i would be well interested to know if you can help :)

Steve.J.Davies

Novice Member
Black exhaust soot on a new car and crap fuel consumption - car definately has problems. Don't do anything to it that may invalidate warranty !!
Dealer has crapped out - time to Contact Ford HQ ?
Maybe a PM to Daddy K ?

A post on the Honest John forums ? (the 'Back Room' link on his website main page)

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Black exhaust soot on a new car and crap fuel consumption - car definately has problems. Don't do anything to it that may invalidate warranty !!
Maybe a PM to Daddy K ?

A post on the Honest John forums ? (the 'Back Room' link on his website main page)
a bit more info , via the digital dashboard diagnostics i am seeing the car taking 4 miles to get upto 90 deg c , without the heater being used , put the heater on full and the temperature drops back to mid 70's and then over another 4 miles wont regain the temp to 90 , now in days gone by i would have put that down to a faulty thermostat , is that the case nowadays , i would have thought so to be honest , this is leading me to believe the engine management is seeing a cold engine so therefore adding more fuel , seems logical to me , and no i wont do anything to the car :)

edit -- if i run the car from cold with the heater on full it does not achieve 90 deg c over 8 miles :(

Steve.J.Davies

Novice Member
I tak ethat 90 degress is the standrad operating temperature..Obvious fault 4 miles to warm up is ridiculous. Engine pumping too much fuel (too rich) would explain the mpg AND the sooty pipe - can't tell you exactly what is wrong though...

Maybe a PM to Daddy K ?

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
I tak ethat 90 degress is the standrad operating temperature..Obvious fault 4 miles to warm up is ridiculous. Engine pumping too much fuel (too rich) would explain the mpg AND the sooty pipe - can't tell you exactly what is wrong though...

Maybe a PM to Daddy K ?

yeah , in the 90's is the normal operating temperature and i am going to follow the thoughts above about Daddy K and the honest john site , thanks for your thoughts :thumbsup: