MK sound speakers (part 2)

Hey shah1,

Crappy pic but I have them mounted about 3' above head height either side of the sofa.

Lovely shutters on the windows rich :thumbsup: the S150t's look fairly discreet considering they are satin black on a light wall,especially as you have that print up with the bold black lettering :cool:

I currently have xenon 26's as rears with m7's at the front. As the m4t's are sold with the m7 package would i be better changing the xenon's for m4t's?

Lovely shutters on the windows rich :thumbsup: the S150t's look fairly discreet considering they are satin black on a light wall,especially as you have that print up with the bold black lettering :cool:

Thanks Jason. I will get round to sinking the cables into the wall.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Today I tried the M4T positioned less than a foot above seated ear level as per Allan's recommendation. This was a big improvement in the sense of envelopment compared to near ceiling placement. Still not as good as my column surrounds but I could imagine the S150T positioned just above ear level being even better.

I currently have xenon 26's as rears with m7's at the front. As the m4t's are sold with the m7 package would i be better changing the xenon's for m4t's?

the M4T`s have better improved drivers in them so i`d have thought their are differences/improvements to be heard :smashin:

Today I tried the M4T positioned less than a foot above seated ear level as per Allan's recommendation. This was a big improvement in the sense of envelopment compared to near ceiling placement. Still not as good as my column surrounds but I could imagine the S150T positioned just above ear level being even better.

Hi Henry

I thought you`d like the differences when having them about 1 foot above seated ear height

the S150T`s of course would be even better than the M4T`s simply due to their having better drivers/tweeters in them

I used to think there would never be a better tripole speaker ever than the SS150`s but these new S150T`s surpass them in every way :smashin:

Allan

Hi Henry

I thought you`d like the differences when having them about 1 foot above seated ear height

the S150T`s of course would be even better than the M4T`s simply due to their having better drivers/tweeters in them

I used to think there would never be a better tripole speaker ever than the SS150`s but these new S150T`s surpass them in every way :smashin:

Allan

It was a great recommendation, thanks. Do/did you have them at 90 degrees or further back? I'm quite tempted by the S150Ts. Do you know of any sturdy tall (1m +) stands other than the Atacama ones? I can wall mount on one side but not the other.

Hi Henry

when using my tripoles I have them at 90dgs, but have had them as far back as 110dgs but no further, I do use surrounds backs as well but monopoles

Apollo also do 1 mtr stands as well and I know that Atacama do split pairs if only one is needed but they add 10% onto the per stand price :(

the S150T`s really are the best tripole out their at the moment as far as i`m aware and have heard :smashin:

i`ve got a full 11.2 Audyssey DSX setup now and its bloody marvellous :clap:

behind the screen are now 3 x MK2 150`s and 2 x M5 extra height channels

extra width duties are 2 x M7`s

surround sides 2 x S150T`s

surround backs 2 x IW95`s

i`m running dual JL Audio Fathom f113`s in master slave configuration

we watched Jack Reacher loud on saturday night and it rocks :devil:

Ideal AV said:
i`ve got a full 11.2 Audyssey DSX setup now and its bloody marvellous :clap:

behind the screen are now 3 x MK2 150`s and 2 x M5 extra height channels

extra width duties are 2 x M7`s

surround sides 2 x S150T`s

surround backs 2 x IW95`s

i`m running dual JL Audio Fathom f113`s in master slave configuration

we watched Jack Reacher loud on saturday night and it rocks :devil:

Nobody likes a show off but I guess you have good reasons to be smug! I'm in the 'less is more' camp with a 4.1 system. Haven't used a centre speaker in years!

Last edited:
Godfather said:
It was a great recommendation, thanks. Do/did you have them at 90 degrees or further back? I'm quite tempted by the S150Ts. Do you know of any sturdy tall (1m +) stands other than the Atacama ones? I can wall mount on one side but not the other.

Apollo will make stands to order. Not expensive either. I got some made for my dads rears. 1.3m.

richmagnus said:
Apollo will make stands to order. Not expensive either. I got some made for my dads rears. 1.3m.

Cool. 1m may not be quite tall enough but 1.2 or so could be perfect for a little tripole. But at the moment I still feel I couldn't possibly part with my column surrounds...

Me too. The V8 engine noise is excellent, but i thought the movie was a bit meh, all that fuss over what exactly??

to be honest we thought it was really good, so much so we were going to watch it again last night but got watching something else

can`t wait to see Oblivion though down here, should be good watch effects wise

Hi Rich

is their a reason for having them at that height, is it room contraints or just preference

Ideal AV said:
Hi Rich

is their a reason for having them at that height, is it room contraints or just preference

Hey Al,

I went with MK's recommendation and my old Apex A10's were just above head height and fairly distracting. I sit about 1.8 m from the sides. They do sound marvellous at this height,completely enveloping but pin point accurate and directional too.

Yes I have wondered about lowering them but they sound great so have left it. Do you think there would be big benefits in lowering?

Hey Al,

I went with MK's recommendation and my old Apex A10's were just above head height and fairly distracting. I sit about 1.8 m from the sides. They do sound marvellous at this height,completely enveloping but pin point accurate and directional too.

Yes I have wondered about lowering them but they sound great so have left it. Do you think there would be big benefits in lowering?

I always say if it sounds right to you then leave it alone

if it ain`t broken don`t try to fix it

but what if.............. :devil:

I know what if ha ha. I may experiment watch this space!

My wife now wants to know why I didn't go for the on walls. I tried to explain that there wasn't a MK11 version at the time.

I know what if ha ha. I may experiment watch this space!

My wife now wants to know why I didn't go for the on walls. I tried to explain that there wasn't a MK11 version at the time.

If you were buying now would you change your mind.

Darkstar_surfer said:
If you were buying now would you change your mind.

Possibly. Only to keep my wife happy. With the S150MKII's I get to have them at the same hight so sonically better. If I went with the MP150MKII's they would look nicer in the room but the centre would have to be mounted above the LCD so a sonic compromise.

Then again the S150MKII's sound so spectacular and they are easier to position that I will put up with the comments of how our room looks like an AV store and we can't use the fire place anymore!

Oh to have a dedicated room.

I took a trip down to gecko today on the sunniest day of the year to sit in a dark room listening to speakers :facepalm: fortunately it was worth the trip & thanks to Rob for his time today.

I visited to listen to the MP150Mk2s and S150Ts & to discuss/try out different positions for the surrounds. Rob's small room is not that dissimilar to my lounge with respect to dimensions (his room is maybe 15-20% bigger on each dimension) so one might think the experience will be at least somewhat comparable to how they might sound at home. I have previously listened to the S150Mk2s and found them v enjoyable for both films & music, there's just no way they can fit though. As a result I found evaluating these quite straightforward, they were indistinguishable to how I remember the S150Mk2s sounding. The clarity of the sound they produce is what really sticks in the mind for me which seems to reflect the other comments in this thread so little more to add there.

More interesting was the surround placement. I changed my room setup last year from tripoles (M&K Surround 55 Mk2) in pseudo column surrounds mode to higher up on the wall, initially 1/4 room width from the side walls about 8' up (in a 10' ceiling room) on the rear walls with listening position directly underneath and subsequently slightly closer to the side walls at the same 8' height but now in line with, or slightly forward of, the MLP (which is currently slightly inset into a recess). Over the last year I realised I erred badly when making this decision as there has been something missing ever since (aka the surround soundstage :thumbsdow) which tends to only really reveal itself in particular dynamic scenes (which generally means a war film with bombs and bullets flying everywhere).

Rob had the room setup initially in the classic 110 ish degree splay for the rears at about chest height and we ran through some scenes/tracks that stress the surround sound stage. From memory; a chase scene from early part of avatar, apocalypse now opening scene, a track from police certifiable which involved lots of cymbals, some swedish multichannel radio demo called "the run", assorted acoustic tracks, king kong when jane is first taken by kong. We then moved them to round to 90 degrees and repeated a few scenes/tracks.

The discussion beforehand had been around the relative importance of reflected vs direct sound for creating the surround sound stage. In my setup, it's purely reflected (and doesn't really work). In Rob's, it is predominantly direct & augmented by reflected.

I think 3 things really stood out; the consistency of the quality/timbre of the sound, the sense of envelopment, the added fine detail.

I think jason (shep) made the 1st point in a recent post and I can definitely see this. The standout moment for this was in one of the The Police tracks when the drummer is busy playing a set of little cymbals, the way the highest notes pinged all around me was both completely consistent all the way around the soundstage and consistent with how I'd expect such a high pitched ping to reflect around me. There was no hint of brightness here, just a v crisp, v realistic ping.

I suspect the last 2 points are closely related and a function of placement and speaker quality. I just don't get that from my setup atm.

Next steps are a home demo & playing with placement in my room (which may struggle to accomodate the SL speaker in that position) which hopefully will happen in early May if schedules go to plan. My position is currently biased towards getting the onwalls (as these will fit perfectly from a room function/aesthestics perspective as well as sounding great) but somewhat sceptical about the tripoles as I think the placement options in my room may compromise them to the extent that it's not worth spending the money. I look forward to being proved wrong (or not!).

mattkhan said:
I took a trip down to gecko today on the sunniest day of the year to sit in a dark room listening to speakers :facepalm: fortunately it was worth the trip & thanks to Rob for his time today.

I visited to listen to the MP150Mk2s and S150Ts & to discuss/try out different positions for the surrounds. Rob's small room is not that dissimilar to my lounge with respect to dimensions (his room is maybe 15-20% bigger on each dimension) so one might think the experience will be at least somewhat comparable to how they might sound at home. I have previously listened to the S150Mk2s and found them v enjoyable for both films & music, there's just no way they can fit though. As a result I found evaluating these quite straightforward, they were indistinguishable to how I remember the S150Mk2s sounding. The clarity of the sound they produce is what really sticks in the mind for me which seems to reflect the other comments in this thread so little more to add there.

More interesting was the surround placement. I changed my room setup last year from tripoles (M&K Surround 55 Mk2) in pseudo column surrounds mode to higher up on the wall, initially 1/4 room width from the side walls about 8' up (in a 10' ceiling room) on the rear walls with listening position directly underneath and subsequently slightly closer to the side walls at the same 8' height but now in line with, or slightly forward of, the MLP (which is currently slightly inset into a recess). Over the last year I realised I erred badly when making this decision as there has been something missing ever since (aka the surround soundstage :thumbsdow) which tends to only really reveal itself in particular dynamic scenes (which generally means a war film with bombs and bullets flying everywhere).

Rob had the room setup initially in the classic 110 ish degree splay for the rears at about chest height and we ran through some scenes/tracks that stress the surround sound stage. From memory; a chase scene from early part of avatar, apocalypse now opening scene, a track from police certifiable which involved lots of cymbals, some swedish multichannel radio demo called "the run", assorted acoustic tracks, king kong when jane is first taken by kong. We then moved them to round to 90 degrees and repeated a few scenes/tracks.

The discussion beforehand had been around the relative importance of reflected vs direct sound for creating the surround sound stage. In my setup, it's purely reflected (and doesn't really work). In Rob's, it is predominantly direct & augmented by reflected.

I think 3 things really stood out; the consistency of the quality/timbre of the sound, the sense of envelopment, the added fine detail.

I think jason (shep) made the 1st point in a recent post and I can definitely see this. The standout moment for this was in one of the The Police tracks when the drummer is busy playing a set of little cymbals, the way the highest notes pinged all around me was both completely consistent all the way around the soundstage and consistent with how I'd expect such a high pitched ping to reflect around me. There was no hint of brightness here, just a v crisp, v realistic ping.

I suspect the last 2 points are closely related and a function of placement and speaker quality. I just don't get that from my setup atm.

Next steps are a home demo & playing with placement in my room (which may struggle to accomodate the SL speaker in that position) which hopefully will happen in early May if schedules go to plan. My position is currently biased towards getting the onwalls (as these will fit perfectly from a room function/aesthestics perspective as well as sounding great) but somewhat sceptical about the tripoles as I think the placement options in my room may compromise them to the extent that it's not worth spending the money. I look forward to being proved wrong (or not!).

I enjoyed reading that, thanks. When you say chest height, do you mean chest height when standing, i.e. like 5 foot from the floor? Did you prefer 110 or 90 degree placement? 90 works better in my room as 110 places the tripoles too close to the rear wall.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom