MK sound speakers (part 2)

A quick photo to give a better, dont panic the cables will be dealt with shortly. The TV can be dropped a fair way without having to change the mount on the wall.

Yeah they are at a dog friendly height, can't really take the risk of having them too low unfortunately as she is rather "bouncy" at times! The instructions seem to suggest all at one height or the centre over the screen so it's a possibility. I could just drill some holes and see what I think, I'm not sure it will go down very well if I change my mind though.

They sound good, different rather than worlds apart from the XTZ's because of how good the ribbon tweeter's are. The 2510's are definitely a step up but being in a smaller room obviously impacts how they sound and I won't be getting the best out of the MP150's from my Arcam AVR350.

I forgot about the K9 Chris,I dare say putting the centre above will be fine as long as it looks ok ?
I think they do need a bit of juice to sound their best,possibly due to the very small sealed cabinets,the rotel rmb1575 I had on them sounded awful,total transformation when I switched to the XPR-5.

You didn't waste any time enjoying the sunshine today then Chris :smashin:

Yeah someone else made that comment earlier, took the dog out when I had finished to make up for it.

A think an additional amp could result in divorce, it is my "second" setup after all. Im going to prop the centre on top of the TV shortly to see what I think.

It's going to look really tidy once you put the cables through the wall,I wonder if an AVR with room correction would slip under the radar & help get the best from them,don't tell Mrs ChrisNic i suggested that though ;)

Got any pictures of you're "first" system ?

jason shep said:
It's going to look really tidy once you put the cables through the wall,I wonder if an AVR with room correction would slip under the radar & help get the best from them,don't tell Mrs ChrisNic i suggested that though ;)

Problem is the rack it sits in is a bit tight for most receivers so its a bit of a non starter :(

The other room is a pig to photograph, black black and more black!

actually Rob they used my chopper for the drop, just to clear things up :rotfl:

nice one Nick :smashin:

I know it's early days, but has anybody yet done direct listening comparisons between the S150 MK2's and MP150 MK2's? I have been performing industrial-level lurking for months, but can't recall seeing anything direct, although Rob has make the odd comment.

A few people's direct comparisons would certainly help me with my decision making process - I need all the help I can get! Obviously my own listening would be key but the thoughts of those more experienced would help back up what I can (or can't) detect myself.

I know it's early days, but has anybody yet done direct listening comparisons between the S150 MK2's and MP150 MK2's? I have been performing industrial-level lurking for months, but can't recall seeing anything direct, although Rob has make the odd comment.

A few people's direct comparisons would certainly help me with my decision making process - I need all the help I can get! Obviously my own listening would be key but the thoughts of those more experienced would help back up what I can (or can't) detect myself.

I would just go with what works best in you're room,the MP's probably need a little more power at the lower end of their frequency range than the S150's due to the smaller cabinets/greater air pressure.

The trouble is that my (dedicated) room is under construction. If I were to go with the MPs (behind the screen) I would need to bring the screen wall forward. For the S150s the screen will be on the front wall, with the speakers below/to the side. So by the time I will be in a position to listen to speakers in my room (with carpet etc in place) it will be far too late too to make a decision. Hence the need for as much experience (mine + others more expert) prior to purchase.

The trouble is that my (dedicated) room is under construction. If I were to go with the MPs (behind the screen) I would need to bring the screen wall forward. For the S150s the screen will be on the front wall, with the speakers below/to the side. So by the time I will be in a position to listen to speakers in my room (with carpet etc in place) it will be far too late too to make a decision. Hence the need for as much experience (mine + others more expert) prior to purchase.

It's a no brainer,speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen is the only way to do it properly

It's a no brainer,speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen is the only way to do it properly

I 100% agree with this, if its doable and you don`t then its a crazy decision

The difference between the new Mk2 MK S150's and the flat MP150's are much smaller than those between the MK1 versions. Technically I would expect the frequency response between 80 – 110Hz to be much more even on the in room speaker than on the flat speaker but whether you can actually hear this with most content and the volume levels you listen at is doubtful and only you can say.

If you are having a dedicated cinema with an acoustically transparent projection screen with the speakers behind it and room length isn't an issue, I'd definitely go for the in room S150 speaker as they will have more output at 80Hz and so will be easier to integrate with your subs.

If you don't have the luxury of a dedicated cinema room, I'd go with the flat MP150. If you want to use the MP150's in a large room at reference volume levels, this will work brilliantly provided you raise the point at which they stop playing sound and the subs start.

Jason has an incredible 8 x 15” IB bass system and since changing to the flat MK 150's from far larger, more expensive Reference floor standing loudspeaker system gets a much more detailed and open system that is comfortable playing much louder than with his previous speakers.

Typically the crossover point between any of the MK150 series and the sub would be 80Hz, but provided you use a sub or subs that work well at higher frequencies and that you cannot in your room, you can cross them over much higher so your speakers and amp do less work and the subs do more. This will give the whole system a lot more headroom – ie power in reserve which when you get to the special effects in a movie will bring a smile to your face.

In our dedicated listening room we use the active MK150's and they are crossed over at 130Hz because we are using a pair of very high quality 8 x 18” 12,000w sub bass system placed either side of the screen that has incredible power handling. This system has been measured by Adam Rayner as producing 136db with no audible distortion. If a cinema played at this level it would get shut down by Health & Safety bods. In our room this system is completely comfortable to listen to for long periods without any sense of strain of fatigue.

As your room is under construction I think you need to get busy now and visit a dem room where you can audition both speakers back to back in a completely silent room as this will make hearing any differences between the two options very easy to spot.

The new MK Mk2 speakers are way better than the Mk1 speakers and as they are still so new you are going to struggle to find anyone who is familiar with the differences between the S and MP versions.

What seems to impress me the most about the S150MKII's is the detail. Not just with movies but music. I listen to most stuff streamed through Spotify @320kbps so not CD quality but the detail these speakers give is amazing. Things sound real rather than hi fi. Drums snap percussion instruments sound tactile and have texture. Voices have no coloration at all which is a first for me to say. These will def IMO show many high end hifi speakers a clean pair of heels. Obviously a sub is required.

A strange side effect I'm noticing since switching to the mk2 MP's last week is that I'm now enjoying my S150t's more, the sound field seems to gel together better & they are standing out less than before :)

The original speakers designed by Ken were always superb for film but many people found them too brash for music. The new MK team have been aiming for speakers that are easy to drive with real world electronics and that sounds great with music as well as film.

They'll be very glad to hear you comments.

Thank you.

Jason Shep

Having pro tweeters at the front as well now in your MP150 MK2 will no doubt help the S150T blend into the background a little more.

Jason Shep

Having pro tweeters at the front as well now in your MP150 MK2 will no doubt help the S150T blend into the background a little more.

That seems to be so Slingo :thumbsup: just goes to show,even when using room correction that helps to blend the surrounds,it still makes a difference to have speakers that are designed to go together :)

I personally would swap this round. Speakers below the screen.

My MK's are at ear level and the LCD screen is above a fire place. Yes the screen is high but we have no issues with it. It's been in this position for 5 years. The sound is phenomenal and viewing is very comfortable. The screen is only 42" and will be replaced with a 50" which will be mounted about 5" lower. .picture taken whilst seated on the sofa about 3.4m away.

Hi Rich, you got any pics of your rears S150T's?

just in case Shah

there are some here and you saw them at mine as well :smashin:

Hi Allan, I just wanted to see how Rich had mounted them. I'm sure you had just sold yours when I visited if I remember correctly.. BTW I need to book another visit sometime soon, I'll be in touch :smashin:

shah1 said:
Hi Allan, I just wanted to see how Rich had mounted them. I'm sure you had just sold yours when I visited if I remember correctly.. BTW I need to book another visit sometime soon, I'll be in touch :smashin:

Hey shah1,

Crappy pic but I have them mounted about 3' above head height either side of the sofa.

Attachments

• image-2823811574.jpg
    image-2823811574.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 481

so I did Shah, my mistake

i`ve got a new set now though :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom