MK sound speakers (part 2)

Pulse1

My understanding is the current 750’s use the same tweeter and woofers as the 150’s. I’m not sure if the 950’s were updated in the time that i’ve owned mine. (Mine are 3 years old) The 950’s and 750’s measure slightly different in the highs. I’ll attach graphs.

The cabinet of the 950’s is definitely nicer. The tweeter is different. No angled tweeters in the 950’s.

the first graph is the measured response of the 950’s (green graph) and the second is the 750.
As i said earlier the 950s were upgraded last year in line with the the latest versions of the s150s and the new 750s,. They all now have the same badges, drive units, but the crossovers were also upgraded along with the speaker terminals so is a substantial upgrade. So the newly upgraded 950s sound different to the original 950s that have the pro tweeter and the new 750s sound different than the original 750s also. The 950t Tripole surround speakers were not upgraded, so if you want an all Satin finish and want the newly upgraded 950s then the 150ts will match the 950s Satin finish. I had the upgraded LCR in room versions of the 950s and the current 150ts along with a V12 subwoofer in my living room and the timbre matching and blend was great.

BlairH

My understanding is the current 750’s use the same tweeter and woofers as the 150’s. I’m not sure if the 950’s were updated in the time that i’ve owned mine. (Mine are 3 years old) The 950’s and 750’s measure slightly different in the highs. I’ll attach graphs.

The cabinet of the 950’s is definitely nicer. The tweeter is different. No angled tweeters in the 950’s.

the first graph is the measured response of the 950’s (green graph) and the second is the 750.
That's significant, thanks. I knew there was something amiss about the 950s. I'd likely have been better with the 750s for that room; but -as you say- the cabinet of the 950 is much cooler looking.

Pulse1

That's significant, thanks. I knew there was something amiss about the 950s. I'd likely have been better with the 750s for that room; but -as you say- the cabinet of the 950 is much cooler looking.
The measurements and graphs from oledurt are from the original 950s and not the new upgraded versions of the 950s remember. But at the end of the day the both current 750s and 950s will be different from each other anyway. I found the sound of the new upgraded 950s to have a very open and detailed sound in my living room and even at high volumes they never sounded strained to my ears. I judge a speaker by how it sounds to my ears and not by graphs as it's my ears that are doing the listening and not a graph. The bottom line is it doesn't matter what anybody says about any speaker, if your ears don't like it then thats what you should go by especially in your own listening room. Clearly if the 950s didn't sound right to you in that room then no one can argue with you anyway mate.

oledurt

Standard Member
The measurements and graphs from oledurt are from the original 950s and not the new upgraded versions of the 950s remember. But at the end of the day the both current 750s and 950s will be different from each other anyway. I found the sound of the new upgraded 950s to have a very open and detailed sound in my living room and even at high volumes they never sounded strained to my ears. I judge a speaker by how it sounds to my ears and not by graphs as it's my ears that are doing the listening and not a graph. The bottom line is it doesn't matter what anybody says about any speaker, if your ears don't like it then thats what you should go by especially in your own listening room. Clearly if the 950s didn't sound right to you in that room then no one can argue with you anyway mate.
Agreed. I’m sure I would love the 950’s in my room too! It’s bet the upgraded 950’s sound awesome! If I had the money to afford both the 950’s and s150 tripoles I would have gotten them. Thankfully i’m happy with the 750’s.

Last edited:

Furnace Inferno

Interesting, although not sure how much I trust Audssey’s accuracy but that’s not too relevant. I have got 3 older 950’s (3 years old too) and one new 950 (as I couldn’t find any older ones) and reusing them for atmos so I’m really hoping they don’t sound noticeably different!

Would have loved to get the IW950’s for the ceiling for many reasons but had the tighten the budget.

BlairH

Probably just the room. The lounge they were in is a bit of an odd layout.

They sound significantly better in my computer room in a semi-near field application. I always wanted M&Ks for that room and they seem to do really well in that environment.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom