Quantcast

MK sound speakers (part 2)

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Your home cinema isn’t a recording or mixing studio.

If you’re looking at reputable brands that are used in studios, then their are a number of reputable manufacturers (as Mr Danger has pointed out) amongst them, Genelec, whom are innovators and highly regarded across the globe.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Your home cinema isn’t a recording or mixing studio.

If you’re looking at reputable brands that are used in studios, then their are a number of reputable manufacturers (as Mr Danger has pointed out) amongst them, Genelec, whom are innovators and highly regarded across the globe.

Quite right - Yamaha NS10's are probably the worlds most common near field monitor and are intentionally coloured to make part of the mid band more distinguishable for engineers, it served very well for pop music back in the day.

You would never put them in your home, because you'd a: blow it up in about 15 seconds and b: it sounds awful for post mastered music.

MK Sound is one of several brands that will play back music and movies very close to the master recording which has gone thru several room systems as big as medium sized theatres before you get it and can even be masted again in another studio for the home blu ray disc before it's green lit.

It just so happens that certain MK speakers can be used for some aspects of commercial and all of domestic audio where a lot of other speakers can't, simply because of their design or quality. So whatever way anyone wants to try and slice, dissect or attempt to disprove something that they likely have very limited knowledge of, it's still a nice feather in MK's cap for past and future projects.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Yes we heard them in Amsterdam.
According to MK they will be available by April/May.

Bish

What did they sound like Rich, extra drivers in the sides make for a significantly better sound? Worth upgrading from current S150Ts?

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What did they sound like Rich, extra drivers in the sides make for a significantly better sound? Worth upgrading from current S150Ts?
Yes they are an improvement. They also have a nicer form factor. Until I spend more time with them I can’t say if an upgrade is worthwhile from the current models.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Any word on pricing of the new models? About the same as the current 150 range?

Cheers,
Mat
Hi Mat,

Pricing isn’t confirmed but hopefully similar to the present models.

As soon as I know I will post.

Regards

[email protected]

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Thanks, Rich

Very excited about these speakers. I’ll keep an eye on the thread.

Cheers,
Mat
A pleasure I’ve also sent you a pm.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hmmm have I succeeded in posting an invisible post:thumbsdow
Set the Low Pass switch to No Low Pass THX Mode. This bypasses the X10’s crossover.

Jesper79

Thanks. Its already at that setting:)

Is there a difference between turning up the bass level reference knob and increasing dB in the recievers setup? Isnt the result the same?

Jase

Distinguished Member

Is there a difference between turning up the bass level reference knob and increasing dB in the recievers setup? Isnt the result the same?
Same result but it's generally better/easier/correct to leave the sub alone and adjust it's output from the AVR/Processor. If it's initially been set via Auto EQ then you don't really want to touch the sub again afterwards. Use the AVR/Processor to adjust the SW level.

The rest of the settings on your sub look fine. You could try the THX setting rather than Variable but if you have Audyssey XT32 that may register it as being too loud when you first run it.

Last edited:

Jesper79

I thought so, but found following post on another site.

first used the Audyssey DSX software on the 8801 and set the X12 to “No Low Pass”
which should theoretically find the optimal crossover frequencies for my particular room and equipment. This did indeed provide a very nice sound, but I felt the bass was slightly lacking during some of the review scenes I used. Not that it was lacking in response, but lacking in volume. For whatever reason, the bass level knob was at ~11:00 on both units, and turning them to vertical (12:00) fixed this completely. While I did not have to turn the level up to the 3:00 position, this may have to do with A: the size of my room (L: 23', W: 15'10", H: stepped at ~8' and 9') and B: the fact I had two X12s rather than one.

DodgeTheViper

They are both technically different.

Post calibration, I increase the sub gain to taste.

Jase

Distinguished Member
I thought so, but found following post on another site.

first used the Audyssey DSX software on the 8801 and set the X12 to “No Low Pass”
which should theoretically find the optimal crossover frequencies for my particular room and equipment. This did indeed provide a very nice sound, but I felt the bass was slightly lacking during some of the review scenes I used. Not that it was lacking in response, but lacking in volume. For whatever reason, the bass level knob was at ~11:00 on both units, and turning them to vertical (12:00) fixed this completely. While I did not have to turn the level up to the 3:00 position, this may have to do with A: the size of my room (L: 23', W: 15'10", H: stepped at ~8' and 9') and B: the fact I had two X12s rather than one.
Sounds like that person doesn't know how to adjust the SW level outputs from the 8801.

DodgeTheViper

Sub gain is that on the sub or receiver? Dumb question but have to be sure
That’s on the sub itself. For ease you could call it the volume dial, although it’s not a volume dial.