MK sound speakers (part 2)

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I have had most of the Triad range and even their Gold Monitors which are a far more expensive speaker don't provide the same quality. I still have a set of these Triads here if you would like to hear the difference.

Have you compared the triad gold or platinum LCR,s to the 150mk 2's. The gold LCR,s are very good, the plats are priced to perform and they are awesome.

Yes, I have been to the Triad factory in the USA for training and demonstrations and owned both these Triad speakers and a number of the rest of the range. The Gold LCR's are efficient and are a very competent speaker. The platinums are about 10 times the size of the MK 150's and use a horn loaded tweeter which I'm not fond of. They are intended for very large cinemas.

If you pick up either of the Triad speakers you will see they are very well made and use good drive units but I could never get anything other than good sound from them. I think they are a competent range for custom installers but if you are looking for the best sound quality, IMO the MKS150Mk2's are a far superior speaker in terms of detail, openness and imaging while also being a fraction of the price and much easier to place.

I currently have some stand mounts for my surrounds (5.1) and I'm looking to go on-wall so I can have them mounted above my listening area. They can only go on the back wall so in this case would a pair of MP150 or S150T work better?

I currently have some stand mounts for my surrounds (5.1) and I'm looking to go on-wall so I can have them mounted above my listening area. They can only go on the back wall so in this case would a pair of MP150 or S150T work better?

If wall mounting 150's please pay attention to making sure they are angled directly towards the listening area and preferably your ears.

The 150's are pretty directional vertically and you will get the best out of them if this advice is carried out

My own S150 MK2's are mounted on 600cm stands which places the centre tweeter at seated ear height and they really do sound very very good

Allan :smashin:

I will be installing my SW150s into a new wall soon... if any of you would be kind enough to offer any advice, I would really appreciate it, - I have created a thread here with my plans: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...y-set-up-lots-advice-needed.html#post18830691

Cheers

My last post doesn't apply to SW150's as the dispersion characteristics are quite different between the 2 speakers

I would if poss try to mount them at ear height if possible but it isn't as critical to have then toed in to the listening position

My last post doesn't apply to SW150's as the dispersion characteristics are quite different between the 2 speakers

I would if poss try to mount them at ear height if possible but it isn't as critical to have then toed in to the listening position

Cheers Allan. TBH, i'm completely baffled as to where to fit the speakers :( :confused: LCR all in one height seems to be favourable, centre on top of tv too high, centre below too near floor, - if i have LCR all at same height they'll all be too high or too low.

So what you're saying is have the centre either above or below, and the L & R at ear height, - so I wont have the benefit of having them all the same height? :smashin:

Cheers Allan. TBH, i'm completely baffled as to where to fit the speakers :( :confused: LCR all in one height seems to be favourable, centre on top of tv too high, centre below too near floor, - if i have LCR all at same height they'll all be too high or too low.

So what you're saying is have the centre either above or below, and the L & R at ear height, - so I wont have the benefit of having them all the same height? :smashin:

all I'm saying is, you have to do what's available to you and if your room dictates that that is the only option then you have to do it

I'll add to that, when I first built my house and installed my inwall 150's, the only place to put the centre was below the screen, the screen came to the top of my then lighting pelmet so no room above

The only place left was below the screen, literally their was a gap of 10mm more than the height needed for the 150 so I had to get the placement perfect so it fitted in, this put it 105mm off the floor

It was their for 3 years and still would be if I hadn't gone for an AT screen and never once was I or anyone else for that matter disappointed with its placement and the sound it produced

So it's not crucial but whenever possible have them at ear height across the front LCR's

That said now they are all at ear height behind the screen they are perfect and this is what I highly recommend anyone to do if possible

Allan:smashin:

I believe I have a fair amount of flexibility with my room, - the only thing causing the problems is the size of my plasma :) - if you have the time, I would appreciate any comments you might have on the thread i've created - link above, - no worries if not :)

This is my proposed room

Just listened to the Norah Jones album come away with me. Only meant to listen to a couple of tracks but it sounded fantastic. The detail and delicacy of these speakers is astounding. I had it at a lower than normal volume as kids in bed and it really drew me in.

I believe I have a fair amount of flexibility with my room, - the only thing causing the problems is the size of my plasma :) - if you have the time, I would appreciate any comments you might have on the thread i've created - link above, - no worries if not :)

This is my proposed room

That looks totally wrong. Your eyes naturally look up when sitting on a sofa. so move the screen up.

I personally would swap this round. Speakers below the screen.

My MK's are at ear level and the LCD screen is above a fire place. Yes the screen is high but we have no issues with it. It's been in this position for 5 years. The sound is phenomenal and viewing is very comfortable. The screen is only 42" and will be replaced with a 50" which will be mounted about 5" lower. .picture taken whilst seated on the sofa about 3.4m away.

Attachments

• image-944778588.jpg
    image-944778588.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,179
  • image-1679072022.jpg
    image-1679072022.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,155
Yeah, eyes do go up, it's a good point. Cheers Rich. For me personally, I would not like my screen quite as high as that, i'm of the opinion that the screen isn't a picture, and I find viewing more immersive when the screen is around eye level.

I would like to keep the LCR at the same height if possible, and I am concerned about reflections from my wooden floor. The dialogue from my centre speaker in the past always carried more clarity when placed at the top of the telly rather than the bottom.

What I think I will do tomorrow, if i get the time, is to arrange the speakers as near to proposed positions and see if it makes any difference.

What I have proposed, does look a little wrong however, it keeps the screen at an immersive level, it keeps the LCR at the same level, it keeps the speakers away from the floor, and as they're in-walls, placement isn't as critical, - that,'s my reasoning anyway :D

Last edited:
Sessen Ryu said:
Yeah, eyes do go up, it's a good point. Cheers Rich. For me personally, I would not like my screen quite as high as that, i'm of the opinion that the screen isn't a picture, and I find viewing more immersive when the screen is around eye level.

I would like to keep the LCR at the same height if possible, and I am concerned about reflections from my wooden floor. The dialogue from my centre speaker in the past always carried more clarity when placed at the top of the telly rather than the bottom.

What I think I will do tomorrow, if i get the time, is to arrange the speakers as near to proposed positions and see if it makes any difference.

What I have proposed, does look a little wrong however, it keeps the screen at an immersive level, it keeps the LCR at the same level, it keeps the speakers away from the floor, and as they're in-walls, placement isn't as critical, - that,'s my reasoning anyway :D

Do you already have the speakers?

Yes I get what you say about the seen,it actually looks higher than it is in the pic. Middle of the screen is about 5' high.

Yes have the speakers already. ..

Sessen Ryu said:
Yes have the speakers already. ..

Cool. I believe the vertical dispersion with the stacked tweeters shouldn't pose too much of an issue with the floor reflections or the ceiling for that matter.

That looks totally wrong. Your eyes naturally look up when sitting on a sofa. so move the screen up.

I agree with this,I prefer/find it more comfortable to look up rather than look down while relaxing on the sofa,the speakers would look much better running in a line below the screen too :thumbsup:

jason shep said:
I agree with this,I prefer/find it more comfortable to look up rather than look down while relaxing on the sofa,the speakers would look much better running in a line below the screen too :thumbsup:

Hello sir did you get your speakers up yet? Waiting for you thoughts ;)

So just picked up some MP150's from Jason (lovely setup you here there mate) and I am trying to figure out where to mount the centre.

The L&R are either side of my TV angled down to ear level and I am thinking that the centre mounted above the TV is going to look better but I have always had them below so I am concerned about how it might sound. It could potentially go below the screen but its going to be angled the other way and there are other cables which could prove a pain.

Any thoughts?

Hi Chris,great to meet you today mate,sounds like you have mounted the L/R already so not possible to have all three running in a horizontal line below the screen ?

Yeah they are at a dog friendly height, can't really take the risk of having them too low unfortunately as she is rather "bouncy" at times! The instructions seem to suggest all at one height or the centre over the screen so it's a possibility. I could just drill some holes and see what I think, I'm not sure it will go down very well if I change my mind though.

They sound good, different rather than worlds apart from the XTZ's because of how good the ribbon tweeter's are. The 2510's are definitely a step up but being in a smaller room obviously impacts how they sound and I won't be getting the best out of the MP150's from my Arcam AVR350.

Hello sir did you get your speakers up yet? Waiting for you thoughts ;)

Got them installed yesterday,they are only about 20mm deeper than the mk1's but that's enough to make it necessary to move my screen out to accommodate the extra depth,which is next weekends job.

I will run them for a while before doing Audyssey pro as I think I'm going to change my sub amp too & as Audyssey pro takes ages I'd rather cover both changes in one hit,first impressions after running onboard Audyssey are that they are even more "open" sounding than the mk1's :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom