MK Sound MP9 PassiveSoundbar

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sims, Aug 28, 2013.

1. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Does anyone have any opinions or experience of this speaker bar?

Can't seem to find any MK retailers near me (Birmingham).

Need a passive soundbar to wall mount below my TV and this seems to fit the bill.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    What amp do you have and what is your budget?

3. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I have currently have a sony dh810 but will be changing it at some point to a sony dn1040 (sony amps work well syncing with my sony tv). I'm looking to spend as little as possible really but need to balance aesthetics with improved sound quality, I've seen that the MK soundbar is around the £500 mark which really is the far upper limit of what I want to spend.

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,890
    It might not be a lot of help, but since the M9 is essentially three M5 speakers in one box perhaps I can give some indication of how it might sound. I run a 4.1 system in my conservatory using the older M&K K15 speakers at the front (M&K K4 as surrounds) which aren't a million miles away from the M5 in sound terms. I run it with an old Denon AVR3805 amp and it's not a bad set up in a smaller room (4 x 4 metre conservatory), even without the sub, though it does sound better with it on (BK XLS200). It's a whole lot better than the TV speakers and I'd say it's better than most of the active soundbars I've heard in places like John Lewis, etc...a more 'grown up' set up if you will, even though it goes without surround effects. It's easy enough to add some small surrounds if you can run the cables discretely anyway.

I was looking at getting an M9 perhaps for a bedroom TV, but I'm trying to avoid having a TV at all in our bedroom (the OH gets up earlier and the TV wakes me up ;) ).

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    You could also look at the Wharfedale Diamond LCR speaker as another option.

6. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    that wharfedale looks like a good speaker but my only issue with it is the size. its a great price but at 168mm deep it sticks out too far beyond my tv (HX853 with the front 70mm from wall) so the wife will never sanction the purchase!

Kelvin I plan to use a sub with it as well like you have, so I guess it could work quite well with the M9.....on a side point is it the M9 or the MP9 as the MK page says two different things!

MK M 9 Soundbar

I can't find a single review or opinion on it anywhere on the net so I'm finding it hard to make the plunge and buy one. There's also a new monitor audio radius soundbar (MA R One) coming out mid september but they seem to have put the LR channels more central in the bar which seem a ridiculous thing to do.

I only need this soundbar for TV watching and occasional movies in the lounge and some music as well, I'm in the process of planning converting part of my garage to a home cinema so most movie viewing will be in there.

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,890
    The only thing you could do (apart from listening to one of course) is to read reviews of the M5 speaker.

I recently reset up my conservatory system (I got a new TV and had to rewire some connections). I rechecked all my speaker levels and put a new disc on I'd bought (The Eagles 2004 concert in Melbourne FWIW) to have a quick listen. I ended up virtually watching the whole concert, so I think that says a lot about the K15s which shouldn't be too dissimilar to the M9. Especially when you consider that I could have gone into my living room and listened to my main system (Arcam pre/pro and PMC speakers). :smashin:

8. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    wow that's high praise indeed considering your main system, sounds like it might be the soundbar for me. any reviews of the M5 that you know of? so far my searches have come up with nothing!

9. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    If you can make it to a Gecko meet they might be able to set one up for you if they have one in stock :)

10. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Where do Gecko meets take place?

11. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Gecko HQ is based near Headley, West Berkshire.

There are usually a few people coming to the meets from 'oop north' so it may be possible to arrange a lift share with people either local or passing your area from further away, to reduce costs if you were interested :)