MK MP950 on wall speakers

Azazael

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just brought some lovely MK MP950 on wall speakers and a V12 active sub woofer from Rob of Gecko AV.
Wow such a difference from my old AV speaker system. The clarity of these speakers is so good I am re-watching all my Blu-Rays again just to experience the fantastic sound.

Luckily Rob only lives 500metres from me so I was able to demo the whole system before I purchased them (Thanks Rob).

Now I just need to shoo out the wifey so I can crank up the volume :clap:

Just an update on the MK MP950`s. I've been running them for 3 days now (so they are not fully run in I guess) but their clarity is amazing. I am hearing all sorts of detail in my favourite movies that I never heard before.

My old system had the Ruark dialogue and prologue speakers together with 4x canon V100`s running from a Yamaha DSP A2 (my system was old).

Now I am running with 3x MK MP 950`s and 1x MK V12 and I am still using the 4 Canon V100`s running off the DSP A2. The change to M&K speakers is like night and day.

I am now ordering a Marantz 7011 to replace the DSPA2 and considering adding 2x MK S150T for rear effect speakers to complete the system, thus relegating the 4x canon V100s to atmos speakers.

The Canon V100`s are up high and I am not sure how much I will gain for changing them to 4x in ceiling speakers.

Just an update on the MK MP950`s. I've been running them for 3 days now (so they are not fully run in I guess) but their clarity is amazing. I am hearing all sorts of detail in my favourite movies that I never heard before.

My old system had the Ruark dialogue and prologue speakers together with 4x canon V100`s running from a Yamaha DSP A2 (my system was old).

Now I am running with 3x MK MP 950`s and 1x MK V12 and I am still using the 4 Canon V100`s running off the DSP A2. The change to M&K speakers is like night and day.

I am now ordering a Marantz 7011 to replace the DSPA2 and considering adding 2x MK S150T for rear effect speakers to complete the system, thus relegating the 4x canon V100s to atmos speakers.

The Canon V100`s are up high and I am not sure how much I will gain for changing them to 4x in ceiling speakers.
Glad you like the speakers :smashin:

I dont think you really need the S150T for your system though, the S95T is still hugely capable and the more natural match to the 950 series speakers. Save yourself a few pennies in the process as well.

How you getting on with the 950s??

I’ve shortlisted these so I’m interested to hear your opinion.

Hi Rick84
I last watched 4K version of blade runner (Dolby Atmos) and the M&K MP950s are amazing.
I have 3x MP950 as L,C,R , 4 x canon V100 as surround and a M&K V12 sub. The whole system runs thro the Marantz 7011 and is a really good Cinema sound system for my 14ft x 14ft lounge.

However for pure stereo music the system is too bright for my tastes but my system was designed for home cinema so I am really pleased with the result

Hi Rick84
I last watched 4K version of blade runner (Dolby Atmos) and the M&K MP950s are amazing.
I have 3x MP950 as L,C,R , 4 x canon V100 as surround and a M&K V12 sub. The whole system runs thro the Marantz 7011 and is a really good Cinema sound system for my 14ft x 14ft lounge.

However for pure stereo music the system is too bright for my tastes but my system was designed for home cinema so I am really pleased with the result

Morning, thanks for the reply.

I wonder how dissimilar they are to my Monitor Audio apex setup and if I would just be swopping out one for one.

Morning, thanks for the reply.

I wonder how dissimilar they are to my Monitor Audio apex setup and if I would just be swopping out one for one.

They are a completely different animal compared to the MA Apex. I’ve personally owned the Apex and think they are great little performers but don’t even come close to the performance of the 950 series.

The 950’s use the same drivers as the 150 series.

They are a completely different animal compared to the MA Apex. I’ve personally owned the Apex and think they are great little performers but don’t even come close to the performance of the 950 series.

The 950’s use the same drivers as the 150 series.

That cleared that up then :)

I am looking at getting some on wall direct firing surrounds for Atmos to replace some dipole/bipole pair, these look like what i am looking for, do these come in a Gloss Black ? I only saw them in Satin finish.

They come in a satin black finish.
If you would like a dem let me know
I am still looking at some options i did want to get some in gloss black, I could live with the satin finish what is the current price of these Thank you.

AT Azazael any chance of posting some pics of your set just to get an idea of the finish thanks

I am still looking at some options i did want to get some in gloss black, I could live with the satin finish what is the current price of these Thank you.

AT Azazael any chance of posting some pics of your set just to get an idea of the finish thanks

MP950 are £650 each. We do offer a discount to AVF members.

MP950 are £650 each. We do offer a discount to AVF members.
Thanks for the response. I Will be using them for surrounds so I think they are to good and overkill for surrounds. Also more than I wanted to spend on surrounds thanks anyway. I Will keep looking.

Thanks for the response. I Will be using them for surrounds so I think they are to good and overkill for surrounds. Also more than I wanted to spend on surrounds thanks anyway. I Will keep looking.

We often install the 950 series as surrounds and I use the IW950’s as surrounds in my own room.

Consider the M4T tripoles which are £700 a pair and are fantastic.

We often install the 950 series as surrounds and I use the IW950’s as surrounds in my own room.

Consider the M4T tripoles which are £700 a pair and are fantastic.
Thanks I Will look into them.

Hi Rick84

Hi Azazael,

Any chance you can post a photo of your LCR setup?

I’m looking to replace my PMC DB1 setup for something more discrete. Whilst I’d love inwalls, the age and construction of the property means the install would be far from easy.

Any photos would be appreciated, I’d just like to get a sense of how they look in situ.

Thanks in advance.

As requested
My MK MP950 on wall speakers and a V12 active sub woofer from Rob of Gecko AV.
Wife wanted discrete hence the gloss white versions and the Lg 65" LGE6
Amode space Base cabinet is ~6ft long holding Marantz 7011,Panasonic ub900,sky etc

MP950.jpg

I've just bought some 950LRC's and was going to build a cabinet to hold. I was thinking about doing something similar to you but have two questions.

Did you notice any real difference having them horz rather than vertical
Did you notice any difference having them sitting at the rear of the hifi unit and any effects of sound reflecting upwards. As I would be tempted to have them forward so the tweeter / sub are not effected by the cabinet.

Or, does it not really make much difference ?

I'm going up to see Rob shortly too. So would discuss with him as well... I'm after a sub to complement.

Being on wall speakers they would surely look and work better LR Vertical and centre horizontal all on the wall away from the cabinet. Either that or at least try and isolate them from the cabinet with some foam or something.

I agree that they should be mounted on the wall either side of the screen with the centre also mounted on the wall.

That said I have to accommodate the needs of the wifey who likes my 10 speakers !! to to blend in.

Even with the Marantz 7011 amp turned up to max I cannot hear the cabinet resonate, Stereo separation would be better if the L/R channels were further apart though. I cannot tell a difference with the speakers set at the back or front of the cabinet which is 55cm deep.When sitting down the speakers are at chest level but pointed slightly upwards.

I would like to add another sub to the left to add more punch.

I used to have a Yamaha DSP1000 and ruark dialogue + prologue speakers which were better for music IMO (which I hardly listen to) but this M&K set up blows them away in everything cinema especially with DTS.

Are this speakers good for listening stereo hifi mode? Seems frequency response is from 80Hz which i guess not so much low end and good sub is a must?

They are excellent for stereo use but all M&K loudspeakers require a subwoofer.
M&K offer the following subwoofers which are very tight and articulate:
V8
V10
V12
X10 dual push pull
X12 dual push pull

Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Did not check the list yet but do they have also wireless d class sub?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom