MK MP9 Soundbar and M4T surrounds

Per156GTA

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago having finished my living room remodelling, I treated myself to some new AV kit, including an MP9 soundbar with M4T surrounds and an SB12 sub. My new amp is an Onkyo 828.

I have never had a soundbar before, always favouring a separates set up (as per my signature below).

I am completely blown away at just how amazing this soundbar is with music and film. My lounge isn't big at 15ft by 12ft, but wow, the system absolutely fills the room with sonic superbness. The spacial separation is incredible when you consider the size of the soundbar. Going to stereo only for music, the clarity is equally amazing. I really can't believe just how these speakers do what they do. I think my Kefs would become harsh at around reference levels, but not these tiny little things.

If you are in the market for a living room friendly (and wife accepting appearance) speaker system, you really have to audition this sound bar.

Just my personal opinion of course, there are other soundbars out there, but I think these represent superb value per pound.

I'm considering one of these when I move later in the year. What do you make of the stero seperation compared to your Kefs?

Do you feel like you're missing out on anything by not having a wider LCR?

Not much info on the MK soundbar, so thanks in advance.

Sorry for not replying sooner - have been away for most of last week. Stereo separation is very very good, probably never as good as a dedicated stereo system due to physical width, but for most homes I can't fault it. Films so far have been a lot clearer and have had a bigger presence. For a living room, unless it is a decent size, I now am a big fan of a quality sound bar. to sum up, the MK one is nice and discrete in white, doesn't dominate the eyeline or room and sounds great. Hope this helps - if you're really keen arrange a visit to Gecko as Rob and Steve will no doubt be happy to demo one for you in a variety of real life situations (ie not in specific dedicated cinema rooms).

Hello...
I am here just to find some info about the M&K soundbar, 'cause its so difficoult.....to find something about it, so...please can you give me just 2 info?

First...is it a passive SB, right? So...what input it has? How can I connect the amp? (2 speaker stereo system...or...three...or....what about DTS for example?
Second...what do you think (listen to a movie) about the SB using without the subwoofer? I see the spec...100Hz to 20 kHz, sounds like (W/O sub) a "high frequence impact" without any bass: am I wrong?

Hi there - yes, its a passive sound bar - connects to your amp with normal speaker wire - just has the 3 pairs of left and right terminals for the LCR speakers. The speaker will output what ever the source material is via the amp - if you have a modern amp then it will obviously do the modern sound formats. All you need is speaker wire. You will need a sub though - this bar on its own won't be bad (a whole lot better than speakers on flat screen TV's), but just won't go low enough to give a better filling sound field. If your room is small, then a small sub would be fine - maybe an M&K V8.

Cheers

Per

Ok, so..."3 pairs" speakers connectors, means three speakers input. So no stereo amplifier but one A/V amplifier where I have to connect the "center output"...the "right main sp. output" and the left one. Correct?
I know that (I own some soundbar like...Yamaha's...) "any" soundbar is better than the internal speakers of the TVs, but.....on the M&K site, they write about the possibility to use the MP9 like the only device for watching the movies. I think this is not a "good advice" because the "100 Hz" is nothing about the bass and maybe the tv's speakers (with not enough quality, but...) will sound better. So, the MP9 without a subwoofer is not a good idea. Do you agree? Can you try to listen for a while this configuration? And...last Q. the MP9 has a normal input/output like "RCA connector" for subwoofer(s)?
Thank you again...you know...not so much info about this device and...even M&K site is...beautiful but "poor".

Luca

You could use a stereo amp to drive just left and right, but that would make getting a sound bar bit pointless. If you are saying you have an av amp, then yes, just follow the instructions with the amp on wiring the speaker connections. The speakers will give you a great sound but bear in mind they are designed to be partnered with a sub as the little 4" drivers won't move enough air to be properly thought of as bass. I could certainly listen to this configuration, but it is best that you try to do so, as it is you who would be the best judge. The reference to 100hz is I think the ideal cross over point. So much of normal TV listening is just from the soundbar - there isn't the same levels of bass as you ill find in a film, but I am happy with that for occasional use. For films, I like bass, so I wouldn't be without it. I would say that an MP9 on its own, in direct replacement for TV speakers has to be a good upgrade, just don't expect tons of bass - the speakers in most flat TV's are built to a budget - the MP9 is designed with home cinema in mind for those who don't want many separate speakers so how ever you look at it, without a sub, the MP9 will still be better. The sub will however help fill the sound that bit better. The connectors on the back of the MP9 are not binding posts or RCA connectors, they are spring loaded clamps due to space constraints I think. All you need is stripped bare speaker wires.

Hope this helps? All you can really do is try various sound bars out without using a sub and see what you think.

Cheers

Per

Thank you; now I have "all" the informations I need to................

L.

A few weeks ago having finished my living room remodelling, I treated myself to some new AV kit, including an MP9 soundbar with M4T surrounds and an SB12 sub. My new amp is an Onkyo 828.

I have never had a soundbar before, always favouring a separates set up (as per my signature below).

I am completely blown away at just how amazing this soundbar is with music and film. My lounge isn't big at 15ft by 12ft, but wow, the system absolutely fills the room with sonic superbness. The spacial separation is incredible when you consider the size of the soundbar. Going to stereo only for music, the clarity is equally amazing. I really can't believe just how these speakers do what they do. I think my Kefs would become harsh at around reference levels, but not these tiny little things.

If you are in the market for a living room friendly (and wife accepting appearance) speaker system, you really have to audition this sound bar.

Just my personal opinion of course, there are other soundbars out there, but I think these represent superb value per pound.
Hi there, hope this message finds you well!

sorry this is an old post but I am in the market for a passive soundbar and the M&k MP9 seems to be only one of a few that come in a nice white color.

I was wondering if you could give an update on how this unit has held up and if you would still recommend it?

Do you by chance have any photos of it you can share.
Appreciate any feedback you have
Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom