MK MP150mkII Speaker Review & Comments

Not specifically related to this review, but some pictures of the speakers alongside something of known size, would be good to get a better idea of scale of the speakers and how likely they would fit into a room. Numerical dimensions aren't always great for visualising size.

In the 'old days' you wouldn't buy before demoing, but that is getting progressively more difficult as AV stores vanish.

I see a price of £995 but what is that for? Each? So LCR would be nearly £3000??

had a look on the m&k website quickly and at the review....not seen any photos of the MP150 2s in white with the grills on.

anyone seen them in the flesh fully clothed?

but some pictures of the speakers alongside something of known size, would be good to get a better idea of scale of the speakers
mkBD.jpg

had a look on the m&k website quickly and at the review....not seen any photos of the MP150 2s in white with the grills on.

anyone seen them in the flesh fully clothed?

grille.jpg

How do AVForums stand in terms of independence of review? I believe XTZ and MK Sound distributors are Assured Advertisers.

And to put you on the spot - which are better?

How do AVForums stand in terms of independence of review? I believe XTZ and MK Sound distributors are Assured Advertisers.

Our reviews are completely independent of any advertisers and any influence from manufacturers, distributors and so on. We write them for members here and free from the usual PR waffle etc. We take our independence and ethos seriously.

As to which is better, I guess it depends on what you want and your budget. We have now reviewed 3 similar but different packages, each doing their own thing. The MP's are wall mountable and living room friendly, the M6 offers a different way of using the tweeter array and they can be vertical or horizontal in placement and the S150's are the full cabinet original in black for a cinema room in the dark. The budget element also comes into play with the M6 slightly cheaper. Honestly they all sound very close with the XTZ's having a little warmth against the MK clinical sound. Hard to pick a best as they all have plus points for slightly different reasons and needs. I really wanted to get the KK's in for review to add to this run of Mk and XTZ, but there just aren't any available from the distributor.

Interesting to read your comparisons against the 'full fat' version Phil. I've heard similar said before that there wasn't really much between the two versions and as it happens I'm running at 100Hz crossover myself. No point in changing mine for anything else now either, but the XTZ seem to compare very well against them judging by your comments and they are much cheaper too.

In the 'old days' you wouldn't buy before demoing, but that is getting progressively more difficult as AV stores vanish.

I demo'd mine at Gecko HQ during various forum open days and also solo. Then I took a pair of MP150 (and matching S150T) home to try there on the understanding that if not satisfied I could return them. I had to run with a phantom centre a while as I saved up for the third MP150, but I still have them today.

I know that IdealAV also stocks them and I believe he has them on display/demo too.

I think you might just be getting confused with some of what IMHO is fiction writing that appears in a well known magazine. Yes the two brands come from AAs on here. However, I own the MK S150s and have had plenty of demonstrations of the XTZ speakers and the reviews by Phil are spot on.

As always, your own eyes and ears are the best way to review but with the proviso that the best possible review will be in your own environment with your equipment, cables etc and a loan of your prospective new purchase if you can negotiate it.

Does this image help in terms of scale? The TV is a 46" Panasonic, the table below is 1890mm long and 370mm high. The sub is a V12. Xbox One controller on the surface for sense of scale.

Attachments

• IMAG0386.jpg
    IMAG0386.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 513
Does this image help in terms of scale? The TV is a 46" Panasonic, the table below is 1890mm long and 370mm high. The sub is a V12. Xbox One controller on the surface for sense of scale.

Cheers for all the photo's gents of the speakers in white. Still not sure of the black/white or xtz for my update to my speakers. Need to get a demo

Another fantastic review Phil.

For comparison here are some pics of my original MP150 LCR system and another with the MP300's and the MP150's used as object based audio front height speakers.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1435262762.684607.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1435262846.709857.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1435262948.338455.jpg

They also come in black

I plan to add a PJ and hopefully a 100" AT screen next year so the speakers will be hidden from view including the heights if my plan comes together.

The only thing that limits my system is the room itself.

Last edited:
Thanks Rich, all going to change next year though, with the AT screen and more MK speakers (Atmos/DTS:X). If I can get what's in my head into the room then I think it will be even better than now.

Rich, I'm only powering a Jamo concert 5.1 set (with rear tannoy 603 for native DTS/Dolby 7.1 STs), but when I set up my 1st Pioneer sc-lx receiver (lx72) I was using a 46" TV & the leap in SQ (ootb) Vs. the vsx lx70 straight away had me saying to herself: We need a bigger screen or projector to go with the sound perspective I had just heard/observed.

You obviously hear how good your MKs are but you will place all the dynamics & power of the MKs in a much bigger soundstage in your mind due to a big sound match with a big display that just seems to suit the huge sound the MKs are obviously capable of.

One of the best A/V decisions I ever made was to try match the big sound with a big display. I'm sure you have seen demos & set-ups before, but when its yours its different. If you have had a big 80"+TV/Projector display before you know where I'm coming from anyway. (or rambling about):)

Wee bit off the mp150s but anyone know if the IW150's are the mk2 version or have they still to be updated?

Rich, I'm only powering a Jamo concert 5.1 set (with rear tannoy 603 for native DTS/Dolby 7.1 STs), but when I set up my 1st Pioneer sc-lx receiver (lx72) I was using a 46" TV & the leap in SQ (ootb) Vs. the vsx lx70 straight away had me saying to herself: We need a bigger screen or projector to go with the sound perspective I had just heard/observed.

You obviously hear how good your MKs are but you will place all the dynamics & power of the MKs in a much bigger soundstage in your mind due to a big sound match with a big display that just seems to suit the huge sound the MKs are obviously capable of.

One of the best A/V decisions I ever made was to try match the big sound with a big display. I'm sure you have seen demos & set-ups before, but when its yours its different. If you have had a big 80"+TV/Projector display before you know where I'm coming from anyway. (or rambling about):)
I agree 100%.

Wife has agreed to PJ and screen and I know that adding the screen when funds allow next year will make all the difference in the world.

I have watched systems with mediocre sound but a good big screen and it made all the difference.

Hi Phil

Thanks for another lovely review. I can honestly say I think the reviews I’ve read on the AVForum of products I’m very familiar with are the most in depth and balanced I’ve read anywhere. Like MK’s you do really get to the bottom of what’s there, “warts and all”.

As you pointed out the main benefit of the flat MP150 Mk2’s is that they give superb music and surround reproduction while fitting in discretely into a room either under a flat screen TV or behind an acoustically transparent projection screen.

The real problem most film lovers have is producing the best sound and vision without leaving a room that looks like a hifi showroom. It does when you look at the total solution the flat MK speakers provide that their benefits come into their own.

Keep up the good work and let me know when you want to try the scary MK 300 system?

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom