MK MP150mkII Speaker Review & Comments

The s300's in your room Rich are just plain over kill not to say that know doubt they perform well and sound good!! But it's a little like using a Porsche turbo around a kart track? Yes it will perform well but no where near its potential.

Advising someone to do the same just because they can afford it imho! Is just plan wrong when a lower price point mk system would do the job just as good! A certain size room can only take a certain amount of spl level! But you can increase the rooms headroom by adding acoustic treatment as even room eq can not do this as yet.

My mk 850 LR are 9' apart and I sit 10' away in the mlp , there a foot from the side walls and I have four corner wide band bass traps with no first / second reflections really addressed? When playing music films as certain high levels , you can start to hear the room reflections making the sound more of a wall of sound rather than what each speaker should sound directly .

The s300's are obviously a good performer there is no doubt about that but I would had preferred to use the mk s150 mk2 on wall versions would have been my first choice in that room or possibly the 950thx's would have done an equally v-good job too imho

Well that just shows how little you know sir. What a silly comment. Please explain because I'm bamboozled????

And Rich I'm totally astonished that you've used the s300's in your lounge of said size and could / can you explain your thought pattern behind it thanks!

And Rich I'm totally astonished that you've used the s300's in your lounge of said size and could / can you explain your thought pattern behind it thanks!
Please explain what the issue is with me using a higher fidelity speaker is?

Last edited:
Sorry to interject, but I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with AVforums thanks to every thread descending into personal attack and options that are all too commonly presented as fact.

The op has asked for some simple advice as to the placement of his front speakers. Opinion has varied slightly but the long and the short of it is for the op to experiment between 6ft and 9ft between channels and for him to decide what sounds best in his room. Let's not sour his enjoyment having to endure lengthy bickering unrelated to his original post.

The s300's in your room Rich are just plain over kill not to say that know doubt they perform well and sound good!! But it's a little like using a Porsche turbo around a kart track? Yes it will perform well but no where near its potential.

Maybe I am just a little sensitive and frustrated this week following the EU departure and the embarrassment of England's defeat at the hands of the mighty Iceland, but to presume to know what sounds best in Rich's own room is rather pretentious. Rich clearly has experience with his own space and has undoubtably experimented with different speakers and placements.

The Porsche analogy I also feel is slightly inaccurate. I would say that a go kart would wipe the floor with a Porsche on a go kart track as it is not suitable for the tight corners and task at hand. A more accurate analogy would be a Porsche on the road against say a VW golf. We don't live on a racetrack or autobahn so will rarely be able to enjoy the full performance of the Porsche, but even within the confines of the speed limit I know which one would be more enjoyable for my daily commute!

Now let's all try to get back to enjoying our hobby as it is supposed to be fun and forums are a place for friendly debate and considered advice.

Right, rant over. I'm going to try to find some children to tell off!

There is actually an argument to suggest that better speakers are more important in a smaller room

As you are sat near field better quality can be more easily discernible - particularly at the higher frequency range where of course these speakers would take over from the subwoofer from.

Smaller rooms are often harder to get bass correct in due to the length of the sound waves in bass notes

Also smaller rooms don't need the power grunt behind the speakers to pressurise the space in the same way either which can be an advantage.

This means that upgrading the quality of the speakers in a smaller space can have just as much effect as in larger rooms.

Like most installs there is always some comprise and a balance between amongst other things budget and space. Doesn't mean you can't upgrade and that better speakers won't sound better! Your personal choice with diminishing returns of course.

Most people are happy to accept differing opinions and discuss, but the comments made did come across as rude

The beauty of a sub/sat system is that it is far easier to position and implement into a room compared to floor standing speakers.

This allows them to be placed in smaller and large rooms. The subs can be chosen to suit room volume and the desired end result. I've chosen to run X10's which are great in this room. I didn't spec X12's as they weren't needed.

The 300's are an exceptional loudspeaker. They are not large by any means, having only 6.5" drivers.

Comments that they are too good for this space are nonsense. They are a different speaker to the 150 and produce a noticeable step up in performance at ALL volumes. They do not need a big room with loud volumes for this to happen.

With 400W to each 300 there is a huge amount of headroom available. The system never sounds stressed even on the biggest blockbuster scenes at reference.

I'm now off to see the new products coming from MK.

Rich

The op has asked for some simple advice as to the placement of his front speakers. Opinion has varied slightly but the long and the short of it is for the op to experiment between 6ft and 9ft between channels and for him to decide what sounds best in his room. Let's not sour his enjoyment having to endure lengthy bickering unrelated to his original post.

Now let's all try to get back to enjoying our hobby as it is supposed to be fun and forums are a place for friendly debate and considered advice.

Good advice. I am going to set them up this week (taking shipment of them tomorrow) and will report back on my experience in order to bring us back to the topic of this thread, which is the MP150 Mk2.

I'm looking forward to experiencing a kind of revelation compared to what I'm used to!

Good advice. I am going to set them up this week (taking shipment of them tomorrow) and will report back on my experience in order to bring us back to the topic of this thread, which is the MP150 Mk2.

I'm looking forward to experiencing a kind of revelation compared to what I'm used to!

You are going to be suitably impressed. [emoji106]

I setup the MP150 Mk2's yesterday and LOVE the midrange and highs. The imaging is wonderful.

8' separation between Left and Right created an awesome, wide soundstage, but panned effects were awkwardly disconnected from the picture. I'm testing them at 7' separation now.

Wish they had more midbass slam, but oh well, can't have everything! Having a good time with these speakers!

I setup the MP150 Mk2's yesterday and LOVE the midrange and highs. The imaging is wonderful.

8' separation between Left and Right created an awesome, wide soundstage, but panned effects were awkwardly disconnected from the picture. I'm testing them at 7' separation now.

Wish they had more midbass slam, but oh well, can't have everything! Having a good time with these speakers!

So it doesn't sound like a sound bar? [emoji33]

You will get the "slam" from the subwoofer.
What have you crossed them over at?

Would using pivoting wall mounts that would bring the MP150 Mk2 away from the wall perhaps 4" degrade audio quality?

If not, any recommendations for pivoting mounts?

Would the s150 mk2 out perform the monitor audio Platinum pl300 AV 5.1 package in a similar setup ?

I have a plc350 unopened which I was hoping to get the fronts and surrounds to match, or just go for the full mk sound s150 mk2 but with a different sub, maybe velodyne

Any views welcome

I did a demonstration with a pair of MK IW950's speakers and an X8 subwoofer against a pair of Monitor Audio PL500 11's last month and everyone agreed the sound was much clearer and more focused and that the bass was more detailed.

The real issue is not which speakers are better but which speakers will give better results in you room and with the locations that the speakers will be placed in.

Most people in the UK have relaitvely small, solid rooms where the speakers will be placed close to a wall or corner. In this scenario a good sub/sat system will outperfom full range speakers everytime.

The sub/sat system will also be cheaper and more discrete.

Please, please, please, get a demonstration and trust your ears!

Hi Phil,

I tried finding an answer on google but could not find one.

1) What is the ideal positioning of the MK Sound MP150 mkii given the angled baffles?

2) Are there any issues mounting it in room away from the wall?

3) What is it that I am hearing when I am standing up vs sitting down? I seem to like the sound I get standing up. Anyone share this experience?

Attachments

• MP150.jpg
    MP150.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 186
  • home theater setup.jpg
    home theater setup.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 202
Hi Phil,

I tried finding an answer on google but could not find one.

1) What is the ideal positioning of the MK Sound MP150 mkii given the angled baffles?

2) Are there any issues mounting it in room away from the wall?

3) What is it that I am hearing when I am standing up vs sitting down? I seem to like the sound I get standing up. Anyone share this experience?

Looking at the couch etc, just right under your TV. Mounted on the wall - is what they are sitting on now permanent?

Matey, why are you tripole surrounds up that high?

They are not permanent i can mount them on the wall but it will have to be above the projector screen- which then may be too high. reason is my projector is ultra short throw so mounting the speakers under the screen on the wall obstructs the image.

the tripoles are that high because any lower may obstruct doorways etc. they are sitting 2.2m from the floor and about 1.2m above MLP.- no other choice as this is my living room.

Cheers.

I've just been having a look at the MP150 MKII's as i'm on the look out for something new that could work well in my room below my projection screen.

However my room is usual, the rear speakers are stand mounted and one has a very large space behind it as a separate room no where near a wall - I'm i right in thinking that tripole speakers need to be quite close to a wall to work correctly? If thats the case is there anything smaller that MK do for surrounds that is monopole?

Hi everyone. I have the possibility to buy 3 mp150 for LCR.

It is correct for you to place them
above the TV, as in the photo, in the perspective of the dolby atomos?

Is it better to choose normal bookshelf speakers positioned at ear height?

thank you

Attachments

• 85565F13-3880-4AB0-8612-DB0B73C44469.jpeg
    85565F13-3880-4AB0-8612-DB0B73C44469.jpeg
    504.7 KB · Views: 84
Hi everyone. I have the possibility to buy 3 mp150 for LCR.

It is correct for you to place them
above the TV, as in the photo, in the perspective of the dolby atomos?

Is it better to choose normal bookshelf speakers positioned at ear height?

thank you

You could install them under tv like this @Seriously Ltd

imageuploadedbyavforums1447972683-148199-jpg.647619

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom