MK MP150mkII Speaker Review & Comments

The MP300's here really don't sound anything like a sound bar, masses of separation across the front soundstage
ImageUploadedByAVForums1466974038.293878.jpg

Your MP150's are an excellent choice. No I wouldn't have them too far apart with a TV, especially with 8' to MLP.

Last edited:
No but neither are you going to hear them anywhere near there best having them so close!! In fact I would have suggested to the client that if he insisted on having said speakers! that I would have insisted that he go for much larger TV or and on + screen to make more sense of his new purchase sonically

No but neither are you going to hear them anywhere near there best having them so close!! In fact I would have suggested to the client that if he insisted on having said speakers! that I would have insisted that he go for much larger TV or and on + screen to make more sense of his new purchase sonically

I've heard the 150's/300's in more systems than I can remember. A bigger room would indeed be better but not everyone has that luxury. I can assure you that the 300's in the picture sound stunning in that room. In fact so good I've heard few home cinemas that sound better. Overkill?, absolutely not.

To insist to a client that they go for a bigger screen to make more sense of their purchase is ludicrous. Btw not my client as he lives in the US.

Fact: The MP150's are designed primarily to be installed around a flat wall mounted TV.

I've heard the 150's/300's in more systems than I can remember. A bigger room would indeed be better but not everyone has that luxury. I can assure you that the 300's in the picture sound stunning in that room. In fact so good I've heard few home cinemas that sound better. Overkill?, absolutely not.

To insist to a client that they go for a bigger screen to make more sense of their purchase is ludicrous. Btw not my client as he lives in the US.

Fact: The MP150's are designed primarily to be installed around a flat wall mounted TV.

Yeah I wondered about the comment to insist someone go for a bigger display to fit the placement of the speakers.

That's nice if it's a custom install where everything is on the table, but that's not my situation. I'm not changing my display for a while and just want advice on the best placement for my speakers around the display I have.

as i keep saying, try it for yourself and let your own ears be the judge

I think it will ultimately come down to that, but having a good idea of where to start is an important way to cut down on time spent making simple mistakes.

I'll try between 7-9' and see what works best.

Thanks!

The MP300's here really don't sound anything like a sound bar, masses of separation across the front soundstageView attachment 730810
Your MP150's are an excellent choice. No I wouldn't have them too far apart with a TV, especially with 8' to MLP.

I'm sorry but that set up looks ridiculous. You have a very small room and have just tried to sqeeze in as many big speakers as possible.

Is that really meant to be an example of how you 'install the worlds finest home cinema and music systems?

If I could afford to have the 300's in my lounge I wouldn't even entertain the idea! Mainly because they just wouldn't be needed , and Rich our rooms are pretty similar in size.

For me it's more about balance and if I had a room similar to ideal av's dark room then it would be more of a no brainier , and then there's the added bonus in performance in using them in a dedicated room over using them in a lounge where room treatment is usually out of the question plus you could argue that the Mk MP150's are about 90% of the same ilk .

If I could afford to have the 300's in my lounge I wouldn't even entertain the idea! Mainly because they just wouldn't be needed , and Rich our rooms are pretty similar in size.

For me it's more about balance and if I had a room similar to ideal av's dark room then it would be more of a no brainier , and then there's the added bonus in performance in using them in a dedicated room over using them in a lounge where room treatment is usually out of the question plus you could argue that the Mk MP150's are about 90% of the same ilk .

I get what you say Steve, but the 300's are a far better speaker than the 150. Much more detail, more revealing etc etc.

The room is very compromised in many ways but don't think for a minute it sounds anything but good.

I've had most of the MK range in there and the 300's beat everything and in that room.

You make a good point Rich of the room being very compromised which then doesn't really lend itself to evaluating speakers of this calliper! To do this you really need a room that's very natural such as a dedicated room unless you were only ever going to sell to those that wanted to setup with in a similar environment .

You make a good point Rich of the room being very compromised which then doesn't really lend itself to evaluating speakers of this calliper! To do this you really need a room that's very natural such as a dedicated room unless you were only ever going to sell to those that wanted to setup with in a similar environment .

Not at all it's good to evaluate equipment in a normal room. If you can get it sounding great in this room then it will sound great in any room. [emoji6]

Let's not be so snobby about this eh, no one is hungry or dying because of room size.

I wish more of you were happy that someone like me decided to experience M&K quality, even in--or especially in--a modest room, instead of trying to keep people with rooms like mine out of the M&K family.

Last edited:
Talking of modest rooms.....this has been and remains to be my current view for the next 10 days yet I still can't wait to get back to my new MK setup lol

ImageUploadedByAVForums1466992831.542617.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1466992915.135941.jpg

Ps. Rich I'd gladly swap front rooms with you!!! Ha ha

Let's not be so snobby about this eh, no one is hungry or dying because of room size.

I wish more of you were happy that someone like me decided to experience M&K quality, even in--or especially in--a modest room, instead of trying to keep people with rooms like mine out of the M&K family.

I think you're gonna be v happy mate.

I'm sure those speakers can't sound anything but incredible!!!!

I had a M&K system years ago that I ended up selling to help raise funds for a wedding - just finally got a new MK system and couldn't be happier!!!

I had a M&K system years ago that I ended up selling to help raise funds for a wedding - just finally got a new MK system and couldn't be happier!!!

Thank you friend!

I'm stoked to put them up and get the system dialed in. Can't wait to experience the difference they will make to our movie watching enjoyment!

Btw, what M&K setup do you have now?

Btw, what M&K setup do you have now?

Baby system compared to yours ha. :)

I got the LCR 950's, surround M4T's and I've now just added front heights which are also M4T's.

Though I literally put up the front heights the day before leaving to Mexico and whilst I'm loving being away, also can't wait to put on some Atmos movies to really hear how it's all sounds!!

What rears do you have with the new 300's?

Baby system compared to yours ha. :)

I got the LCR 950's, surround M4T's and I've now just added front heights which are also M4T's.

Though I literally put up the front heights the day before leaving to Mexico and whilst I'm loving being away, also can't wait to put on some Atmos movies to really hear how it's all sounds!!

What rears do you have with the new 300's?

That sounds like a heck of a good time when you return home!

I just ordered 3x MP150 Mk2's for the front stage. They should arrive sometime next week. I think I'll be in a similar boat as you were because by the time I get them mounted I will be leaving for NY and then Montana on vacation.

For now, I'll be using my existing DefTech ProCinema 1000's for surround duty until I move up to the S150T. But that may be a while because I'm planning to upgrade my receiver and subs first.

Step by step!

That sounds like a heck of a good time when you return home!

I just ordered 3x MP150 Mk2's for the front stage. They should arrive sometime next week. I think I'll be in a similar boat as you were because by the time I get them mounted I will be leaving for NY and then Montana on vacation.

For now, I'll be using my existing DefTech ProCinema 1000's for surround duty until I move up to the S150T. But that may be a while because I'm planning to upgrade my receiver and subs first.

Step by step!

well you're doing it right by getting the very best in stages rather that a complete system but a lower quality!

I'm sure those front 3 speakers will sound amazing.

I probably have mine around 7ft apart and the sound stage was excellent from what I've listen to so far. Much wider than I was expecting.

These holidays get in the way of our movie watching ha ha :)

sunPinn,
Welcome to the poison filled MK threads. [emoji56]

I'm sorry but that set up looks ridiculous. You have a very small room and have just tried to sqeeze in as many big speakers as possible.

Is that really meant to be an example of how you 'install the worlds finest home cinema and music systems?

The room isn't anything else but a dedicated media room. It's not attempting to be discrete. Maximum performance is the goal.

It's where speakers and equipment get evaluated, demonstrations take place and the family watch movies. Could I build a baffle wall? Yes, but speakers are left on show for folk to see and for speakers to be swapped out when required.

Horses for courses Indus, but I can assure you that it outperforms most home cinemas and clients love what it does. I will refrain from making personal comment and just let your post speak for itself for all to see and judge as they see fit.

I'm off now to meet with another client who happens to love what my business offers.

Here's another pic of the ridiculous room[emoji849][emoji8]
ImageUploadedByAVForums1467004180.292479.jpg

Last edited:

This is a bit of a cheap shot and one without any sound logic behind it. I wouldn't go and tell the Adernal guys that their speakers are too big/ridiculous - I've seen those big JBL's crammed in a few places but the only thing I took away from that is they looked like a PA.

I could very well say your room is horribly compromised Indus (by your own admission) but I'd not presume it sounded rubbish, but you've put some nice kit in there, right?

Exactly what is the problem with him using the best MK speakers he can get his hands on for the room and how is it not good enough to evaluate 300 series, I ask because..

His room size has no relevance to the fidelity of the speaker.

Having heard MK 150 and 300's in this room, it compounded the fact for myself that the 300's do indeed sound better and consistently better in every room I've heard them in - it helped with my decision making process and I gave the MK stuff some serious demo time, they were not bought on a whim.

I've seen full sized 8x10 rigs and 1x12 combos used in the studio - all the good stuff comes with it's own sound and is picked on that principle, not once was it ever a size issue. It's not like he has the PA for Glastonbury shoehorned in there, right?

I also don't see anything in any review saying 'you shouldn't put these in a smaller room' I think you guys seem to forget that they are an exceptionally good speaker used by professionals and regular joes alike in all incarnations with the pedigree and peer review to back it up.

Maybe a read of this very review is in order.

This is a bit of a cheap shot and one without any sound logic behind it. I wouldn't go and tell the Adernal guys that their speakers are too big/ridiculous - I've seen those big JBL's crammed in a few places but the only thing I took away from that is they looked like a PA.

I could very well say your room is horribly compromised Indus (by your own admission) but I'd not presume it sounded rubbish, but you've put some nice kit in there, right?

Exactly what is the problem with him using the best MK speakers he can get his hands on for the room and how is it not good enough to evaluate 300 series, I ask because..

His room size has no relevance to the fidelity of the speaker.

Having heard MK 150 and 300's in this room, it compounded the fact for myself that the 300's do indeed sound better and consistently better in every room I've heard them in - it helped with my decision making process and I gave the MK stuff some serious demo time, they were not bought on a whim.

I've seen full sized 8x10 rigs and 1x12 combos used in the studio - all the good stuff comes with it's own sound and is picked on that principle, not once was it ever a size issue. It's not like he has the PA for Glastonbury shoehorned in there, right?

I also don't see anything in any review saying 'you shouldn't put these in a smaller room' I think you guys seem to forget that they are an exceptionally good speaker used by professionals and regular joes alike in all incarnations with the pedigree and peer review to back it up.

Maybe a read of this very review is in order.

Jeez, are you two related or something?:D

It wasn't a cheap shot, there was a reason I made the comment. I'll refer you back to post #47 made by IdealAV who I believe has a long history with MK speakers.

Having speakers like that so close together is a waste imho. IdealAV said it was akin to having a soundbar.

Re: your comment about JBL speakers crammed in to small spaces is meaningless. Go visit the JBL synthesis site and they categorically give the minimum size a room that their different pro cinema speakers should be used in.

Now you can ignore their advice and try and install one of their ÂŁ50k set ups in your toilet if you want and claim it sounds wonderful....but their advice is there for a reason.

Re: your comments about the room size having no bearing on the fidelity of the speaker. That's not strictly true is it? If we are talking about the sound quality that is finally produced then the room size and shape have a massive influence as well you know.

So you may not agree but I'm happy with my opinion that the room in question is massively and needlessly over specced. And that the over speccing will not yield results in line with the cost.

How Rich spends his money is of course his affair and he says that it was done for maximum results. If the both of you believe maximum results are achieved by

1) Sitting that close to speakers that are that close to each other as well as being up against side returns

and

2) Having rear back speakers that are virtually by your ear hole and that have one driver up against a wall.

and

3) Having height speakers that also have one driver up against a wall

then I'll leave you both to it.:smashin:

And for the record, you don't need to defend your reason for buying the MK speakers to me or refer me to the review. I never said they weren't good speakers, I'm sure they sound wonderful and I mean that genuinely.:)

Hell, I might even consider some one day, though I might struggle to find someone who'll sell me some;)

It wasn't a cheap shot, there was a reason I made the comment. I'll refer you back to post #47 made by IdealAV who I believe has a long history with MK speakers.

Having speakers like that so close together is a waste imho. IdealAV said it was akin to having a soundbar.

Re: your comment about JBL speakers crammed in to small spaces is meaningless. Go visit the JBL synthesis site and they categorically give the minimum size a room that their different pro cinema speakers should be used in.

Now you can ignore their advice and try and install one of their ÂŁ50k set ups in your toilet if you want and claim it sounds wonderful....but their advice is there for a reason.

Re: your comments about the room size having no bearing on the fidelity of the speaker. That's not strictly true is it? If we are talking about the sound quality that is finally produced then the room size and shape have a massive influence as well you know.

So you may not agree but I'm happy with my opinion that the room in question is massively and needlessly over specced. And that the over speccing will not yield results in line with the cost.

How Rich spends his money is of course his affair and he says that it was done for maximum results. If the both of you believe maximum results are achieved by

1) Sitting that close to speakers that are that close to each other as well as being up against side returns

and

2) Having rear back speakers that are virtually by your ear hole and that have one driver up against a wall.

and

And for the record, you don't need to defend your reason for buying the MK speakers to me or refer me to the review. I never said they weren't good speakers, I'm sure they sound wonderful and I mean that genuinely.:)

Hell, I might even consider some one day, though I might struggle to find someone who'll sell me some;)

Having the 300's in this room does not compromise their performance in any way compared to any other speaker that could be used. I get better results in this room with a higher fidelity loudspeaker. In the same way you would if used in your own room which isn't exactly huge but far more ideal than mine.

This room does indeed have compromises. What it does do is show interested parties that a compromised room can sound fantastic if things are done properly.

1. MLP is 8.5'. Why would this be an issue? It's can actually be of benefit. Near field monitoring. This has been discussed with MK and the 300's are designed to work at distances shorter than this as they are studio monitors. They have additional foam guides that can be added but MK feel that at my MLP distance not necessary.

Sitting at 8.5' allows for separation to be clearly heard between LCR and its is exceptionally good in this respect.

Yes the side walls are not great, but they can't be moved. L&R are EQ'd with RoomPerfect which resolves any obvious side wall issues. They do however have huge benefits for the subs.

2. Tripole surrounds that are just above seated head height work really well. Tripoles were picked so as not to be distracting. Tripole side dipole drivers on both surrounds fire at back wall at an angle allowing sound to wrap behind MLP. Sound great. The other dipole drivers face down side of room in filling any gaps down length of room.

3. Rear height speakers again each have a dipole driver firing diffused sounds into beams which don't cause any negative issues.

So before you start publicly berating my knowledge, experience and particularly my business, would it not be better to come and have a listen for yourself and then publicly post your thoughts?

Drop me a pm if you want a demo.

Regards

Rich

No. We are friends among others from the forum and while don't agree on everything there's a fair bit of knowledge and experience shared collectively.

Yes, it was a cheap shot and that's why I responded to it, because you were categorically wrong with your statements.

You're inferring that first of all it's a squeeze and not necessary. Since and I repeat myself again, that there is a difference between the 150's and the 300's in that room, then I don't see what the problem is?? - Also the listening distance is roughly the same as their distance apart - that's standard text book stuff. Allan's history with MK has absolutely nothing to do with Richards install.

Based on what? Do you have any data or experience or even heard both sets of speakers in this room?? And since you're so fond of quoting Allan, maybe you should check what he actually posted as again, the soundbar reference was in regards to a completely different install in a completely different room in a completely different country for a completely different user.

No, it's not - I made the point that I've heard them and seen them crammed into rooms and all i took from it visually was that it looked like a PA - it does, I know this because I've worked with many of them, even ones made by JBL - what they write on their site and what people do are not the same thing - do you think somehow everyone is following the dolby guidelines for Atmos religiously? of course not, don't be ridiculous.

In this case and an in overwhelming amount of home users, yes it very much is. The room can only have dramatic effect if the source can excite certain aspects of said room, they work in tandem and are not mutually exclusive, I know this from many hours of studio and live work. But this was a never a chicken / egg debate on room acoustics because the lunatic fringe your talking about doesn't apply here.

I don't agree and your opinion doesn't make you right, you are in fact quite wrong. When it comes to which speakers sound better, you're somehow under the impression that lesser speakers will yield as good results - it's just not the case in this sceneario. Debating diminishing returns and room compromise isn't what's on the table here - most people without fully dedicated rooms have to do this - go try and tell them what gear they should buy, see how well that's received..

and

and

Well, sure it's his business but again that's not the debate here - you're trying to say that due to the positioning of the speakers, they are redundant. If his 300 series set up in the same places sound better than the Mk2 150's then he's achieved his goal.

That's not what's happening here tho - no one is talking about my room or my kit. I only drew a parallel to demonstrate that the 300's sounded consistently better from room to room and they do - from the Rives Room at Gecko Home Cinema to a living room like Richards to I guess and half and half room like mine.

Look on the MK site, there's a list of authorized MK dealers on it. I think your comments were cheap and lazy

The s300's in your room Rich are just plain over kill not to say that know doubt they perform well and sound good!! But it's a little like using a Porsche turbo around a kart track? Yes it will perform well but no where near its potential.

Advising someone to do the same just because they can afford it imho! Is just plan wrong when a lower price point mk system would do the job just as good! A certain size room can only take a certain amount of spl level! But you can increase the rooms headroom by adding acoustic treatment as even room eq can not do this as yet.

My mk 850 LR are 9' apart and I sit 10' away in the mlp , there a foot from the side walls and I have four corner wide band bass traps with no first / second reflections really addressed? When playing music films as certain high levels , you can start to hear the room reflections making the sound more of a wall of sound rather than what each speaker should sound directly .

The s300's are obviously a good performer there is no doubt about that but I would had preferred to use the mk s150 mk2 on wall versions would have been my first choice in that room or possibly the 950thx's would have done an equally v-good job too imho

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom