Mk 950 thx

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Olorin, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd ask the question. How good is this system? I'm talking purely for home cinema purposes. Some people tell me that it's close in performance to the MK 150s.

Other people tell me that it's basically close to what is being used in the recording industry and that these specific speakers are extremely revealing and accurate. But then I read a review by Russel, in which he states that the 950's produce colouration. So I'm confused now. These speakers are THX certified and I would imagine colouration would not play a part in their design process.

So anyone hear demo the speakers, what were your impressions? I've got a Paradigm Studio 100 system and I'm thinking of downsizing. This is purely for cinema use. Would I be making a big mistake, or would the 950 system be an upgrade in fidelity?

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    Another review here worth reading:-

MK Sound LCR950 Monitor Speakers, SUR950T Surround Speakers, and MX250 Subwoofer

Not heard the MK950's but I have M&K LCR851's with transmission line tweeters which are very similar to the newer MK950's. Performance-wise they're about 90% of what you'd get from S150's (which I've had previously).

Certainly don't think you'd be disappointed but as with everything I'd suggest a demo to see what you think.

3. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you find dialog clarity on your MK speakers? One of the qualities I'm looking for in a HT system is very clear vocal clarity. Even my Paradigm cc590 center doesn't give me that, on a wide range of material dialog sounds somewhat muffled. I've heard mostly good things about the 950's for dialog, but then again I hear conflicting reports here. So I don't know if the reviewer had a bad system for review or something.

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    Vocals and dialogue is one of the areas where they excel. Absolutely not muffled in any way, shape or form.

5. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering why the conflicting information from the reviewer. Apparently he frequents this forum.

6. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any 950 owners have pics of their system they can post? It would be appreciated. Just wondering how it's going to look in mine. Whether to wall mount, or to put on top of a cabinet. I also heard MK have released a floor standing version of the 950's.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  7. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    Russell writes great reviews and I respect what he says but we all have different rooms, ears, equipment and opinions. That's why you really need to hear any speaker yourself (preferably at home with your own kit if possible).

8. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem is that I can't demo the equipment. : ) It's a special order item in S.A. So I either bite the bullet or I look for another option. So in my case user input is going to persuade me (or not) on this package.

I've read most of the reviews. Some suggest it sounds close to the MK150 and I've heard the M&K 150 personally and I thought it sounded unbelievably good.

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you are going to listen at near reference levels the 950's maybe the best option for you, I remember when talking to the original M&K engineers and we were discussing how good the 850's were and how similar to the S150's they sounded and they did but when stressed that's where then the S150's shined and the extra power and dynamics kick in but we are talking very loud volumes.

just my 2p worth and I have had quite a few M&K speakers in my time including 850's and S150's.

10. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,081
    I can watch a movie at around -10db, and that's blummin loud in my room, anything more and it would certainly be a serious assault. I'm also in the camp of 950's or 150's ?

I'm leaning toward the 950's at the moment

11. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    For the extra, we always felt that 150's were worth it, even if Reference levels weren't quite reached. They just sounded so much more effortless than the 950's. I don't think anyone who came to us ever bought 950's - they all went for 150's instead. The main advantage for 950's was that they suited smaller rooms, but then again, I used my old 150's in a relatively small room without issues. I may well be going back to to 150's once Ken Kreisel releases the updated versions of his original designs. That'll be in the same room :)

12. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,081
    Thanks for the comments, but small room, relavely small room, means nothing without the size expressed as a measurement. ;)

13. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    Usable space, roughly 4m by 3.5m - average living room size :)

14. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How well does a 950 work as a centre, when horizontal?

Are the dispersion characteristics suitable for that orientation?

Thanks

15. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,455
    Here you go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won`t post what I think of them as it would seem to be self promotion but they aren`t too far off the 150`s

great with music and have fantastic dynamics for movies, sorry I said I would post that :D

yes they are :thumbsup: thats how I run with 950`s when doing a demo with the center on its side and no one has ever said that it sounds any different to when its vertical

16. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    The dispersion of any upright speaker is drastically changed when it is laid on its side. This is the drawback of that type of speaker. It'll sound ok on its side, but it will sound quite different compared to standing as it should do. This is one reason why the 150 setup is better than the 950's or 750's, because even though they're a cube, they're designed to sit one way.

The whole point of an LCR set up is that the front three are exactly the same so that they can produce a soundstage like the speakers used in the studio.

17. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been told that the 950's, like the 150's, sound very open, as if the reflections in the room don't affect the sound of the speakers due to the design.

From the owners, do the 950's extract every bit of detail from movie soundtracks? I remember watching The Patriot on the M&K 150's a long time ago and how crisp and clean the delivery was. Every detail, every effect was reproduced with such amazing clarity, I couldn't believe it.

As I said, I own the Paradigm Studio v5 speakers which are pretty darn good, but the center speaker isn't the best. Dialog sounds muffled no matter where it's positioned and it's a friggin big center speaker. How is the dialog clarity on the MK950's? I'm hoping the 950's will sound more detailed with movie soundtracks and have improved dialog clarity.

I don't know if I'm asking for too much, but then my Studio system isn't a dedicated cinema package, it's more of a dual purpose system so I don't know. Keep in mind I listen to music occasionally but not all the time. It's mainly TV shows, Blu-rays and that's it. :)

18. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Just to give you an idea, the speakers in the cherry finish are the Studio 100's (my speakers), the center speaker is the black one on the right (cc590). Since I don't have pics taken yet, these will have to do for reference.

19. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    MKSound are kind of hedging their bets about horizontal centre placing. On the one hand they show diagrams on their website of this being bad and on the other they say this:

I guess this is why coaxial drivers can work in any orientation, but going back to the 950's, it seems very difficult to get a dem to hear for ourselves, unfortunately.

20. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    If the 950's were as good as 150's, there'd be no need for 150's... :)

21. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 950's aren't as good, but apparently they sound almost the same, since they use the same drive units (or so I'm told). Dynamically the 150's are a completely different kettle of fish, so I can understand people going for them, especially for bigger rooms. My room is very small, so the added dynamics wouldn't serve any benefit for me.

22. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    Dynamics are nothing to do with volume, so that's a quality that will benefit any size room, however small.

23. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We can all agree the MK150's have much higher volume capabilities. You are saying that has no bearing on the dynamics? I can't say I agree with you on that.

I'm sure the 150's can play much louder with less distortion but in a very small room, I can't see how the added volume capability would improve the sound significantly. I guess the same could be said for the 950's. If they are running at 40% of their capacity they'll sound great I'm sure. But if the 150's are running at 30% of their capability, not sure it's worth the added expense. The laws of diminishing returns and all that.

Again, if the drivers in the 950's are the same as in the 150's (correct me if I'm wrong here), then the quality of sound should be similar. The big difference being the number of drive units in the 150 which should improve dynamics and volume.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  24. jason1wood

jason1wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    You mentioned in another thread about the dispersion of the S150s being great for the hot seat, but not good for other listeners, do the 950s have a wider dispersion?

25. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    What I'm saying is that volume and dynamics are two completely different things. Yes, the 150's are capable of higher volumes, but that's something that benefits larger rooms. The 150's are also better in respect of their dynamic capabilities, which is a quality that will benefit any size room. The 150's will play at any volume with less distortion because the HF load is shared between three HF units rather than one.

26. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave, thank you for your comments. Have you heard the Paradigm Studio's? Do you think the 950's would be a good step up for purely home theater? I'm thinking of possibly changing the MX250 for the MX350. I don't think the MX250 is THX certified.

I'm currently running my Studio system without a subwoofer. But for home cinema, would the 950's be more accurate/superior ?

27. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    Sorry, not heard the Paradigms.

THX isn't really a necessity for home cinema any more. To take full advantage of that, your processor and amplification needs to be THX too, and the room also needs to comply with THX requirements, otherwise the THX advantage is pretty much null and void.

There are many speaker packages and subwoofers out there that will reach THX requirements, but the manufacturers don't put them in for assessment as it costs money, which bumps up the retail price.

Having said that, THX guidelines can still be followed in domestic situations.

28. Olorin

Olorin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX isn't a necessity, but I would sure feel more comfortable knowing the system was THX certified, otherwise what is the point? I don't think if you have one component that isn't THX certified that the whole benefit of THX becomes void. Plenty of people have THX equipment without a THX certified room. You'll still benefit from the THX equipment.

29. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    As I say, many products would reach THX requirements if they were put forward, but some manufacturers choose not to because of the high costs involved.

You won't get the full benefit of a THX speaker system without a THX processor and power amp, and vice versa. And even if both are, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the full benefit of THX anyway. Many of the THX requirements are for much larger rooms than the average living room.

30. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Part of the 150 design is also to achieve a certain crossover point between the tweeters and mids, this is obviously not possible on the 950's.