1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJA Pro 50 & Marantz 4200

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Huggy, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I asked this question in a previous thread, but that thread went off on a different tack, so I'll try again.

A Sevenoaks salesman was less than supportive of my proposed solution of:

Marantz 4200 Receiver
    MJA Pro 50 sub
    2 Kef Egg Fronts (to please Mrs H)
    Mission M7C1 centre
    Mission M7ds rears

To my ears the strange speaker set up works fine, and visually Mrs H is happy. However, while the sub with music is great, I feel the need for more oomph with movies. It's not terrible, just a reason for upgraditis in the future ;) .

To his credit the salesman had said that my Marantz 4200 wasn’t powerful enough to do the MJA justice.

My question is - is he right? Is it the Marantz or is it the MJA that's lacking? I know alot of you have this combination. What are your views?

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Sounds a suitable setup to me ... might be worth considering a third egg though for your centre to keep the tonal balance constant accross the front three channels.

Do you already own a Marantz SR4200 btw ... cause if not you might find it difficult to get hold of one.

3. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I went against the Sevenoaks guys advice and have this set up.

The 3rd egg in the centre is not an option - Mrs H didn't like it sitting on top of the telly - the Mission centre is more streamlined, and to be frank, I really am happy with that arrangement.

No it's the sub/receiver combination, I'm worried about.

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    To quote MJ Acoustics - "if it makes a sound add a sub". Your Marantz is a capable piece of kit and so is your sub so really it's a question of setup I would guess - i'm certainly no expert on setting up subs (and I got shown that in five minutes talking to the MJ Acoustics guy in Bristol today) But what I do know is that there's a lot more to subs that just plugging them in and connecting them to the amp. mjacoustics.co.uk has a section about setting up your sub and the guy at the show today (Phil Mason - the M in MJ) said if I had ANY questions about my sub I was to give them a call and if necessary he would talk to me (you won't get an offer like that from Mr Kef I dare say).

Perhaps those with more knowledge can answer your question this time. :suicide:

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hang on a second what has the receiver got to do with the sub? unless its a passive sub the amp will send a signal to the sub's own amplification so its the sub that decides its own ompph, the reciever's power output has nothing to do with it.

6. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Honest to God, this is what the salesman told me. Was this all sales bull**** to try to get me to buy a bigger and better receiver???

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

7. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it was, salesmen:thumbsdow

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    No, not necessarily bigger nor better but one in which they had a higher profit margin :rolleyes:

Respectable dealers try hard to persuade people that the service they provide is worth the extra cost of buying from them over an internet box shifter and then a dork like this opens his mouth and ruins all their hard work in a minute of stupidity.