1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJA pro 100 sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by astonbilla, Oct 15, 2002.

1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Folks i need some advice asap please

How does this sub compare to the 50 and is it worth £500??

many thanks

Bill

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's interesting to see the latest turn in your "sub urgently needed" saga as you seem to have enquired about almost everything except M&K :D

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I really like decisive people.......or do I??

astonbilla, you must be a hifi dealers worst nightmare :)

4. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Guys, I thought the purpose of this forum was to help one another and provide advice. If I had not discovered this forum I would have purchased a sub months ago. Probably a REL. Thanks to the forum I have been put off every sub that I have looked at, be it due to possible dead units (servo 15); poor sound quality/distortion (REL); or simply cannot afford (velodyne).

All I want is information if someone possesses it, I think you are being a bit of a sh*t Ian and I must take from this that you have been a HiFi genius from conception.

I on the other hand am very new to this and have never considered a subwoofer until recently.

Why don't you take a leaf out of Uncle Eric’s book and provide incisive info without having to patronise or publicly ridicule.

Thank you for previous info, I hope that you will provide advice in the future.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    No, that would be me.

REL Q150E is a tolerably good buy in that sort of price bracket.

6. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Sorry astonbilla, you are clearly being a bit sensitive. Ian put a smilie in his post to show this was a bit of good natured leg pulling. The forums would be pretty boring otherwise and it was quite funny.

Now I'm going to give you some advice. Nobody is going to tell you the best sub to buy. Every sub has its good points and bad points. As with every other piece of equipment, use the forums to draw a shortlist of contenders and then go and listen for yourself. Simple as that. If you cant find a piece of kit to demo, ask on the forums, I'm sure somebody local to you may be able to help.

Everybody will tell you their bit of kit is pretty good. I've just bought a 2nd hand REL Q100e and think its cracking but that doesnt help you at all. Make the list, go and listen, then decide.

Peace :)

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I pressume by your original post you are looking at a sub in the £500 range, as described by Uncle Eric as a Rel Q150 eater is the Velodyne CHT10 @ £325 well within your budget, to me it would be an easy choice to make between the CHT10 and others out there in the same price bracket or even higher. They are class subs. You will also have some change left to take Ian out for a meal. :D

8. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    if you read what i said, i just wanted to know if its as good as the 50?, i have heard the 50 and its great. So, if the 100 was anywhere near as good then i would finally have a decent sub and i could leave you guys in peace to rub your banana plugs.

9. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    bob007, i would buy a velodyne today if i could, but i need to pay by Visa and Eric understandably wants cheques

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Who do you bank with? These days most Visa companies issue credit card cheque books with their cards too. Call your bank & ask for one.:)

11. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Or cash the money from VISA and ask a friend to send a cheque if you don't have one?

12. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use your Visa in cash machines as well, just draw the money out and have one of your friends/family write a cheque out then you give them the cash. ;)

13. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ^
    ^
    Damn, this 1meg connection is slow today. :D

14. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Astonbilla if you have heard the 50 as far as I know the 100 will sound the same just with more output. Think pro50 but with 5/6dB more headroom.

If you like the mja subs as much as me then just go for it, you won't be dissapointed.

You will have to put up with grief from members here though, while the mja subs get praised no end by the owners (and there are quite a few here now) it gets slagged off considerably because of its size. You see a sub is an extension of ones manhood, you may have noticed them being referred to as 'the beast' etc. on here.

I take it you have read this

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't recall anyone mentioning that they had heard the MJ Pro 100 but I have read a couple of mag reviews and both mags thought very highly of it.

If I remember rightly the reviews are reprinted on MJ's web site

16. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thankd Dom, i need a smallish sub anyways. I just worry too much about magazine reviews etc and because i have never seen this one reviewed, i thought i might leave it. Then i got offered a great deal hence my interest now.

I always have a few subs in mind, namely the REL 150(or 201), the veoldyne cht10, the Servo 15 (though the absence of the x30 put me off) and now the 100 pro.

And recently, i've thought about jacking my missions and buying the gallos and sub.

Decisions are terrible, and guys i'm sorry for being tetchy (Ian i'll get you a guinness mate), i am soon to recieve my 5th TV in as many months and i am really tired of trying to get decent AV without any hassle.

sorry folks,

Bill

17. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    read the reviews here

18. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the 50 is reaching 16Hz then you should get round about 8Hz from 100. :eek:
    *Inukjuak raises his little finger and waves it at the pro50*
    Nope can't say I have, unless it's in the Friday Joke Thread in the General Chat Forum. :D

All joking aside demos are best but home demos are even better, you can see how the sub reacts in the enviroment it will be listened to. Good luck.

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Delphi - is that you :)

20. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry it's not, but I can still send you a provocative photo of me posing against a eucalyptus tree. :)