1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJ Reference 100 – Which lead and how to connect?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by astro, Apr 5, 2004.

1. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I've just purchased an MJ Acoustics Sub Ref 100, and with it i purchased a High Level Lead (10 meter Nuetrik to Solder ends cable). I purchased this over the phone directly from MJ Acoustics without hearing it (they don't usually sell direct, but they did with me because my local dealer was pi**ing me around!!). Now, although i can plug the main end of the cable into the sub, i don't know wher i should be connecting the three wire ends into (yellow, red and black) in a short set of instructions, it says to connect them to my speakers outputs on the amp, but should these not go to a dedicated sub-out part of the amp? My friend also seemed to thinmk that i'd be best to buy a coaxial cable to connect from the amp to the sub as well as this connection, because one connection would be good for music and one would be better for film – is this correct?

Please help!

AstroBhoy

P.S. It's a Pioneer AX3 amp i have – if anyone needs to see a small gif diagram off the back of the amplifier i can send this (just don't know how to attatch on this thread!?)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It will probably be easier not to use the supplied cable for the moment but to connect up only at low level with a co-axial cable from the subwoofer out socket on the amp.

Once you have got it setup satisfactorily you can think about adding in the speaker level cable that you have but most of us don't bother.

3. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If i were to connect the high level cable up, would i just connect the wires in with my front two speaker inputs on the amplifier?

I'll go ahead and order a sub cable from Mark Grant. :thumbsup:

Cheers

AstroBhoy

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes, but I can't remember which leads go to which speaker terminal since it's a few years since I connected mine up that way. No doubt the manual will tell you.

5. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As per MJ

The 3 bare end wires on the MJ Acoustics high level cable are connected to your amps speaker outs as follows:
    Red to Left + positive terminal
    Yellow to Right + positive terminal
    Black to either Left or Right - negative terminal - NOT BOTH. You have now completed cable connection and are ready to start using your sub.

Note: Can I connect both the high & low level inputs simultaneously?
    Yes you can connect both the high & low level inputs simultaneously. This question is asked by many music lovers who have the high level cable connection for music and want the added benefit from their sub with movies through the low level connection and movie buffs who respectively wish to use their sub for music. With respect to movies, connecting both the high & low level inputs simultaneously, starts to benefit when there is little or no LFE signal being sent to the sub from a dedicated sub out on an AV amp. Having the high level cable connected from the main or centre (recommended) speaker outs on an amp or wired off the back of the speakers, adds a full range signal into the high level input of your sub. Cleverly blended together using the independent volume controls, both the high and low level signals can give you the ultimate in depth reproduction throughout the entire movie, as well as exploding, thumping LFE (low frequency effects) bundled into one subwoofer for the ultimate listening pleasure.

Have both my Ref 100's wired to the LFE and one to centre chanel via Neutrik and one to front main speaker via Neutrik.

Regards,

Chris L.

6. astro

astro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for that. Have ordered a cable, and going to connect this one up as mentioned

AstroBhoy