MJ or REL?

mr. shr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can advise?

I'm looking to buy a sub to go with my Wharfdale Evo 20 Fronts, Evo Centre and Pioneer 812 AV amp
I've had a home demo of the REL Q150 and Quake. Both have impressed me but not sure if I should go for a REL or MJ.

Haven't played with a MJ so can't really compare. Is it worth sampling them or should I go for a REL?

I like what I read about the MJ from their website (i.e. the power on/off switch and the relay delay on initial power up) but is that enough to make them better then REL? (I'm considering the MJ Ref 100 or 150)

Room size is about 5.8m * 3.75m

The Quake had no problem in filling the room musically. Would rather go the the smaller of two units as they are cheaper, but would appreciate any advice on which manufacturer to buy and what size I need (given my room dimensions)?

Any advice is useful.

Many thanks

shr.

mr. shr said:
I like what I read about the MJ from their website (i.e. the power on/off switch and the relay delay on initial power up) but is that enough to make them better then REL? (I'm considering the MJ Ref 100 or 150)

Don't bother with manufacturers' websites as they are full of meaningless marketing blurb that means nothing in the real world.

The only thing that really matters is what it sounds like. I have heard a Quake at an exhibition and didn't think much of it. I also heard the MJ Pro 50 at the same exhibition ad it sounded much better. See if you can arrange a demo of an MJ as many here seem to prefer them although most dealers seem to stock either / or and very few seem to sell both so it may not be easy to arrange

Thanks for reply Ian,
I agree that Manufacturers will go on about how good their product is (suppose can't really blame them) and yes I've also found that everyone wants to deal with REL. Haven't found a hifi store near me that stocks MJ. They can all get them in but if they order it, I have to have it. I'll keep hunting. May even drive over to MJ directly. There only about 30 mins away from me.

How do I go about determining the size of unit to go for based on my room dimensions?

cheers

shr.

mr. shr said:
How do I go about determining the size of unit to go for based on my room dimensions?

You can't really as size of the unit is just one parameter in manufacturing a sub. Your room is an average sized living room and if you are looking at the MJ Acoustics range I would look at anything above the smallest model just to be on the safe side.

I am not sure that B&W make anything of interest in the same price range but try and have a listen to the Mordaunt Short MS309 as well as that is a good alternative

Ian J said:
Don't bother with manufacturers' websites as they are full of meaningless marketing blurb that means nothing in the real world.

Does that include the SVS website ;)

SamirP said:
Does that include the SVS website ;)

most especially :D fooled me :thumbsup: mind you Im a sucker for anything vaguely tube shaped as I was a hamster in a former life..........squeak

I'll perhaps give the Mordaunt Short a listen. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Cheers

shr

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom