1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJ Nightmare

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ROBERTT, Oct 29, 2003.

1. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just unpacked my new MJ Acoustics Reference 150 subwoofer to replace the KEF PSW2000 sub. Thought this would give me more slam and controlled bass. However I cant get it to output anything!!!...its connected to my Pioneer VSX-2011 amp via the LFE input. I know it is turned on as the LED reading on the back says LFE. Played T2 on DVD but nothing!!....Tried changing the crossover point on the amp but still nothing. On this model there are LED'S for the otput of the sub..ie 10 watts 15 watts 50 watts etc but none of these are lighting up!!

Is the internal amp F****d!! or am I doing something wrong. Cant believe ive spent £550 and got a dud!!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Robert

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    It might be worth making sure you have the sub connected to the Right Channel input which is the one MJ use for mono inputs, although it shouldn't make any difference. Try swopping the cable for a different one. Try using the High Level input. Make sure the sub out on the amp is on. All simple suggestions but worth checking anyway. It is worth establishing exactly where the fault lies before resorting to more extreme measures like taking it back to the retailer.

3. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks Ill try using the high-level inputs......other suggestions already investigated. This is a really strange prob. Hooked back the KEF sub and now there is no LFE from that either!!!....This would suggest that its the amp in some way not sending a signal. (The kef sub has an auto on when LFE is received but it is not coming out of standby) Tried re-setting up via MCACC setup but still no luck. Went to 'expert' setup and played around with base output levels but nothing!....Im going to bed very depressed.:( :( :(

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Check the cable you're using from the amp......................... if the Kef was working before you tried out the new sub, it sounds too much of a concidence that the LFE channel would go belly-up at the exact time of switching subs........

Sean G. (from bitter experience of dud leads of one kind or another !)

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    theritz is right. It's either the cable or the amp that's at fault, and more likely to be the cable.

6. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange one. Have you altered the "peak Bass Level" or something like that in the expert menu? You could check that this is not set to zero

7. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Guys..

Thanks for all the suggestions....much appreciated. I took this afternoon off work to have a play....who can concentrate when your AV setup is playing up!!

Dazed......you hit it on the head.....Somehow I had set the Peak base level to Zero in the Expert setup :rolleyes:

Anyway, pleased with the MJ....the LFE has a lot more depth to it :) However I dont think there is an auto on feature which is a bit of a pain as I now have to turn the sub off after every viewing....well at least it works
    :smashin:

Thanks again

Robertt

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most of us leave the subs on all the time. I certainly never switch mine off