1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mj acoutics pro50

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bob1, Feb 17, 2003.

1. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hello i'm thinking of the pro 50 because of the small size as anybody got this sub what do they think and would it fit in with the rest of my system.Also its seems like its had its priced fixed(299)i havent seen it any cheaper as yet.

2. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned one for about 6 months now & it runs rings round my old sub :smashin: despite others here commenting on it being a 'Midwoofer' it suits my needs & is ideal for small rooms or if you are pushed for space.

As for discounts, I believe there is a special offer (20% off it's product range to show visitors) on MJ products
    at the Bristol Hi-fi & AV show this coming Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Bob.

Can i say that a friend and i (the only other "believer" local to me) borrowed both a Pro50 and a Quake for a few days just to see what they were like, we had no intention of buying i simply borrow alot of stuff from my local Sevenoaks just to play with and the chaps in the shop seem to value our opinions (or perhaps it's a no hassle run in of kit for them!) anyways,
    In physical size the Rel was almost a joke, the very opposite of a subwoofer as i like to understand them it looked rediculously small next to my friends Tosh36" and you would imagine someone picking it up and handing it to you saying "have you dropped something?" The Pro 50 "looked" marginally bigger but still the very epitome of "small".
    Both were nicely finished.
    Here's the crunch and i am aware that alot of people feel differently about it but all i can say is i have heard ALOT of sub's and i have experience of both of the above with music and movies.
    To me the Rel was by far the better sub, hands down. I must admit to being somewhat dubious of it and adopted an attitude of supreme superiority towards it until we played with them. there was very little between them in absolute extension terms nor anything to get upset about with regards to absolute spl's but what the Rel did (and don't all Rel's?) is just sit so beautifuuly seemlessly into the existing package, full stop really. Whilst the pro 50 will go as loud and low we simply could not get it to integrate anything like as seemlessly as the Rel, no matter what we did (for reference my friends kit is super stuff and in no way a weak link here) the Pro 50 stood out like sore thumb in terms of seperate entity within the soundfield.
    If it were my money there would be no decision to make, i would take the Rel in supreme confidence.
    I am not by any means a Rel fan, infact i have had several and sold them on.
    Hope this helps (or perhaps not)
    nothing here to upset pro50 owners this is just MY findings

Regards

Steve

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I could make a living out of disagreeing with Steve.E as I have also heard both of them and prefer the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 by far.

What this should prove to you is that everyone's hearing is slightly different so the best way to ensure that your money is well spent is to listen to whatever is on your short list yourself.

If you live within easy reach of Bristol I would suggest a visit to the Hifi show next weekend where you can hear the MJ sub for yourself plus a few others that are in the same price and size range.

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yes Ian, oddly enough i had wondered if you worked for Snap-on or something?
    I have been involved in several threads of late and have missed your "contributions".
    Perhaps you would do me the service of a quick search to keep up your good work with my latest posts.

Steve.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The one that concerned me most was the "I am going to the show on Sunday thread". It's a fairly big place and I am sure that we can manage to avoid one another.

7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    (Laughs!)

Indeed so, or perhaps we could agree to meet up for "a little chat - like".

Steve

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Thanks for the quick replies i haven't got the money as yet and will try and get a demo at home if i can. Seems like normal that people disagree on which is the better and are you comparing with the rel quake.I have never heard a descent sub so any would probbily sound good to me so any advice is welcome and have i missed any subs out for the price and size or is it a choice between the 2.

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    When I began my search for a sub recently, I had the quake in mind.

I was quickly persuaded by Sevenoaks that the baby rel was not the way to go and the the MJ Acoustics pro 50 was a far better bet even though it was much cheaper. Alternatively they suggested the B&W 675, but they weren't convinved that it was worth £300 extra.

Demoed the MJA at home and was very impressed, even though I haven't had time to set it up "properly" & am now trying to persuade sevenoaks to price match the 20% offered at the Bristol show this week - I'm quite hopeful on that one.

BTW my lounge is approx 20x15 & the MJA produces more than enough to fill the space.

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Wilber
    I owned the relq150e before i changed it for the B&Wasw675 and i can tell you the asw675 is worth the extra' for the performance you would get over the mj pro50 and rel quake that is in the small sub context.If size is'nt an issue you could go the cht15 servo 15 route but as small subs go the B&W asw675 is very competitive.
    Gonzo.

11. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Gonzo, but size & WAF are well in play here. Velo may make good sounding subs but they won't be allowed through the door at Chez Wilber (and those new ones that Uncle Eric has posted pictures of just look awful i'm afraid). So It's down to the small subs & realistically a shoot out between MJA & B&W. 100% difference in price is too much for my piggy bank at the moment so the 675 is out of the question, leaving the lower spec 600 model which 7oaks don't even bother stocking!

Will be picking brains & listening to stuff at the Bristol show on Friday, but I don't expect to come away with anything other than the MJA.

12. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

Wilber said:
    I auditioned the Quake against the MJA at a branch of Sevenoaks a couple of months ago and the shopkeep was adamant from the moment I walked in that I would prefer the Quake!

To be honest, I couldn't tell a great deal between them (hardest demo I've ever had - trying to compare subwoofers). I bought the MJA on the basis that I could upgrade within 14 days if not happy (and it was £50 cheaper!). I paid the £299 for it but Sevenoaks did throw in a £15 IXOS lead.

Took it home and I'm very happy indeed. Just make sure that you're able to demo before you buy. Do you have a Sevenoaks anywhere near you?

Best of luck.

Regards

Richard

13. Wingnut

Wingnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Pro50 last week (over the REL Quake). Although I did have to spend the weekend tweaking it to get it to sound just right, there's 3 controls: Volume, Crossover frequency, and Phase (you'd be surprised how much difference the phase control makes when the sub is moved in the room).

It's difficult to sum up the differences I found over the Quake, I think it had a bit more warmth to the sound, and the Quake was more direct, still good, and probably a good ice breaker when you tell people where the bass is coming from!

Unlike Steve, I couldn't get the REL to integrate as good as the Pro50 with my speakers (Linn Kan IIs), so perhaps theres more to it than just producing bass, maybe the Pro50 integrates better with smaller speakers, I dunno.

What I can say is a week down the line i'm very happy with the Pro50, and would heartily recommend it to anyone. And if it's 20% off at the Bristol Show it's a must.

Wingnut

14. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Nothing to add to what's already been said except to say that I too got the Pro 50. I'm very happy with it... it integrates perfectly with my existing kit, sounds great with both music AND movies, costs very little and it is a tiny box.

Give the space, money and my own way, I'd have a bigger beast - probably a high-end REL ST-series or a Velodyne HGS series. But for what the Pro50 is (small, cheap and high WAF!), I don't think you can do much better. :smoke:

15. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Interesting.

Something tells me that the Sevenoaks sales people are on to a better bonus when they sell Rel Quakes. I would say that the forums probably go 4 to 1 (or more) in favour of the MJA, yet I too was subject to a Sevenoaks manager vigorously promoting the Quake over the MJA.

He did say something, which makes me think. He felt that my Marantz SR4200 wasn’t powerful enough to do the MJA justice. My own experience is that while very happy with it with music, I feel a need for lower, meatier bass with my bangs in movies. Is it that the 4200 isn’t up to it, or is that the MJA isn’t a real sub?

16. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Is it a coincidence that the Quake and MJ50 and also the Strata and the MJ Ref 1 look very similar?

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that it is not a co-incidence but there is a member who probably knows the answer but seems to be a little shy. :D

18. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi Iam

I thought you were a mod. Have you hung your spurs up then?

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Fraid so. I only read whatever looks interesting now and not every single "Should I buy a Yamaha or Sony" thread just to make sure that there's no swearing in it

20. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you guys think of the MJ Pro 100 and the Pro 1650?

Nathan

21. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Huggy.
    I was not not going to say that my thoughts were exactly the same re Sevenoaks and MJA's but now you have, when taking the 2 sub's home my Sevenoaks dealer "reliably" informed me that the Pro50 was "by far the superior box".
    Despite all that has gone before on this thread i still will tell anyone who will listen that on our extensive listening test's we found the Quake to be the better box. (as indeed do all the serious hifi press! - for what that is worth).

Awaiting.

Steve

22. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's bullsh1t.

See here

Not that hifi mag reviews are any great arbiter of a good product. However, when Gramophone magazine, which is principally a classical music rag rates it then you know they're doing something right, espcially in the musicality stakes.

Michael.

23. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

Me thinks you mean me. I have had a little influence on the design of the early RELs and the new MJ's.

I haven't heard the Quake so can not comment on it. It will be like the Pro 50 in as much as it was not designed as a heavy weight contender. They are made small to make them more acceptable to the wife, because of this they are not going to get to 20Hz

Best way to decide is to demo them, I think this thread has shown up the benifits of this, as some of you swear by the Pro50 others by the Quake. After all we all have our own preferences and what may sound good to me would sound awfull to others.

The Bristol show will be a great place for initial assesments as Rel and MJ are next door to each other. Also, I had this wierd dream last night that MJ had two new subs on show

24. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Michaelab

What hi-fi, FHM ???????????
    Do me a favour.
    I would add that you left out the recent (i'm pretty sure) HiFi world's glowing review of the Quake and how about HiFi news?

Steve

25. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Selective quoting is great isn't it? You forgot to mention HiFi World (possibly the least ad influenced mag) and Gramophone (as I mentioned before, no hifi advertising axe to grind either). There are only 2 other UK HiFi mags I know of: "HiFi Choice" and "HiFi News" neither of which has reviewed or rated either the Quake or the Pro50 so of all those that have reviewed it they preferred the Pro50. Your statement that "all the serious hifi press" rate the Quake the better box is therefore simply not true.

Even if it were it would be of little interest. You could look through the UK HiFi press and probably not find a single mention of Velodyne subs despite the fact that a lot of people here rate them very highly. Most people here (and in other forums) also prefer the MJA Pro50 over the Rel Quake and I prefer to go on what real users say than mag reviews. That's not to say that anyone is right or wrong, it's all just a matter of preference.

Michael.

26. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Will get back to you on this one later on if possible.
    (re - reviews)

Steve.

27. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129

so you think they will be moved on the price then anyway just another point to make is the quake mag sheilded as its got to go next to the tv thanks

28. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    BOB1 my friendly 7oaks manager agreed to the price match, cos i'm such a good customer. Mag shielding is not an issue for me as the sub will be at least 3 feet from the tv and maybe as far as 15.

29. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  30. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my MJ pro 50 sitting next to my TV with no ill effects.