1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJ Acoustics subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by perry ferrit, Jan 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perry ferrit

perry ferrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about buying a mj acoustics pro 50, has any one got one ? Are they any good , with music ? with movies ? Where is chepest place to buy a mj sub from ?

Thanks alot...

2. Joe Abbeywood

Joe Abbeywood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a MJ Acoustics Pro 50 and can only say that all the reviews are spot on. Take a look at their web site (www.mjacoustics.com) and read some of the testimonials. I auditioned almost all subs in the price range from £200 to £700 and found the MJ Pro 50 to be the best value for money. Its cheaper by almost 50% than that of the REL Q150 and it sounds better too. The finish is true class in satin black. Better than the impossible to wipe clean REL rough finish. Also the REL had some unwanted HUM on the output - Not good and ts £500- not for me.

Auditioning I found was best done in the sought of setup found at a Sevenoaks Store and your ears will lead you together with the sales staff. Beware though that salesmen always try to impose the addage that the more you pay the better it is. NOT SO with the M J Acoustics Pro 50. Unless you have a really large room the Pro 50 is just perfect.

Go Buy an MJA Pro 50 and I know you will be as happy as I am. Or if bigger turns you on then audition a MJA Pro 100 which has twin 8"drivers and blows the Strata III away and its £599 WOW!.
    Good Luck!

Joe Abbeywood

3. perry ferrit

perry ferrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help jo, what is mj sub like with music, is it fast enough and is there much over hang.

Thanks alot....

4. Joe Abbeywood

Joe Abbeywood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perry,

The Pro 50 is a sealed enclosure type which I was told by the salesman gives rise to much more tighter bass. Certainly I would concur as the fast bass LFE sequences in some DVD movies prove. Whats more exciting is the fact that this little sub goes down so low. they say it reaches 15Hz and from what I can tell it certainly does. With music in a stereo listening session it adds such addditional warmth and extension that I don't feel i could ever be without it.

Some friends of mine said that you can't beat a REL but now after auditioning my unit in my home setup they say that they may well be moving to MJ for there next purchase. I made my decision to buy primarily on the strength of the reviews in What HiFi and Granphone. All I can say is that the reviewers comments are all just as they say.

I wish I could explain it better for you but honestly the value for money this unit has given beggers belief.

Treat yourself and let me know how you get on.

Good luck
    Joe

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There Superb, Fast, Accurate and far better than there small size may suggest. I bought 2 after reading a review in What Hi-Fi (As there Inexpensive) and boy I am well pleased. They took a bit of fine tuning but having 2 of them really brought out the dynamic range in my existing speakers.

I mainly use them for Music, but on Movies they really perform, I have read posts that small sub woofers are no good as they dont move enough air, but the 2 MJA 50 Pro's that I have out perform my old REL Q100E Easily and in every department. After all the recent Q150 posts Im more than pleased that I bougtht the MJA's

If you get the chance audition them. You wont be dissapointed

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Rel Q150 recently and had some problems (see Q150 batch problem??). The second one I've got still has the same problem, although not the humming everyone else is talking about.
    When I went back to Audio-T to test the sub with them I then compared it to a KEF PSW2000 and an MJ Acoustics Pro 50. These were the only small subs they had that were less than the price of the Rel. The KEF just didn't compare at all but the MJ Acoustics wasn't bad. However, there were a couple of shortcomings with it which has lead me to keep hold of the Q150 for the time-being until Rel sort it out.
    - Firstly, it just didn't seem to have the power that the Rel did. Not a huge difference and certainly a lot closer than the 50 Watts compared to 150 Watts would suggest, but enough to notice.
    - I would also be very suspect about any quotes of how low it goes. The Rel had everything shaking in the test room but the MJ didn't appear to have quite the same effect, even at the same volume levels. Also, the Rel's cut off goes down to 20Hz but the MJ only goes to 40Hz. If it goes down to 15Hz why stop the cut off at 40Hz?
    - The third thing (which won't affect many people) is that I have a wooden floor and the MJ fires downwards rather than forward. I haven't tried it at home but I think it would be more advisable to have a forward firing speaker. I can see the downward one, whatever make, getting unwanted reflections off the wood.
    - The most important thing I also noticed was that there were no mode switches. This means you can't set it up one way for music and another for movies and then leave it alone. As far as I could see you'd have to keep moving the cut-off frequency whenever you went between the two as the cut off affected the low and high level inputs.
    - Lastly, the MJ doesn't have spikes. Until I put the spikes on the Rel it was moving across the floor with the vibrations! I know this wouldn't happen with carpet but it's still something to bear in mind.

Finally, what I would say was that I didn't take it home to test and that I didn't try it for very long. These are just my initial observations during my short time with it. If I'm wrong on any of my points then let me know. If Rel don't sort out my problem the MJ currently seems to be the best alternative. As you say it's a lot cheaper and isn't too far off in terms of performance. Maybe the 100 would see it off.

Anyone else tried it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.