MJ Acoustics Reference 100 settings

Moldiver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ive had this sub for a while now but never set it properly, just wondering if somone could help with the settings.

Basically it has the Gain knob and then the Frequency contour knob that goes from 30Hz to 120Hz then clicks and goes to LFE. What should my sub be set to for music and movies?

it is part of a 5.1 system with the front L&R being floorstanding Eltax 8i 120 Watt, Freq Responce 40- 20.000 Hz. All being powered by aHarman Kardon AVR 255

usually i just set it to the LFE position and turn the gain up and down when it needs it, would this work or should it be fine tuned?

Turn the frequency knob all the way round til it clicks then leave it there. Turn gain to halfway. Set receiver to LFE. Run autosetup on your HK to detect speakers and levels. If sub trim on receiver is positive, then turn down the sub gain and rerun setup. Ideally you want it to be close to 0 after setup has run because then the amp doesnt have to boost or reduce anything. If it's negative, but a lower number than -12, then it'll be fine. I personally adjust mine so it's about -3, so I can adjust the sub level up slightly through the receiver if I want, without ever going into positive trim. Set crossover to 80hz. Enjoy.

Also when i set the sub to LFE and play music on my pc i got no bass from the sub, but L/R + LFE worked.

Ive done the EZ setup on the HK reciever and it has chnaged the sub from LFE to sub and set the size to present so i changed it back to LFE. When i go into control panel and sound setting the Sub works when i test it in LFE but nothing when playing music

I also tried different programs to see if it was just winamp that gave no bass, the rest produced no bass also.

Any idea on where to go from here?

Last edited:
Set up now and think everything is ok, sub mode on my reciever is set to Sub which i think is L/R+ LFE not sure if i should keep it at that but sounds ok the now.

i think one of my problems was i had the level set too high, it was well above 0 closer to 8 lol, it's currently set to -3 and the gain is set to half and it's there working but not overpowering which is good.

Any more input if this seems ok would be great.

That sounds like you have it set up right then. If you want a bit more bass, you can always increase the trim level on the receiver. I found that when I first got a sub, I set it really high to start with for a good bass boom, but over time I brought the level down and down and now I just run it slightly hotter than the auto set up sets it. To my ears 1.5db higher is just right, but for real accuracy you shouldn't budge the level the receiver sets it to. I just like it tweaked a tad. Enjoy it. :thumbsup:

iwas wondering this too, I'll also give it a go

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom