1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJ Acoustics Ref 200

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Joe Abbeywood, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Joe Abbeywood

Joe Abbeywood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Posted this on a thread which was closed- not sure why but here it si again.

I thought I would just tell every one who is considering a subwoofer to take a very serious look at the MJ Reference 200. I have had a Pro 50 since it was launched and use it for movies and music. It is a very solid performer and has made enjoyment of music take on a new dimension.

However I have always felt that the slam and extended depth has been an area which could be bettered. Don’t get me wrong, for its size it is outstanding and I almost upgraded to the Ref 100 due to the digital display but when I auditioned it I felt it was not much if at all better than my pro 50. The sales guy said it would most likely be because I have truly loosened up the driver in my Pro 50.

I took an interest in the Ref 200 because it seemed to come with almost all the valued features on my wish list. I saw a review of this model published in Home Cinema and they rated it a 5 stars in every category. To be honest I picked up a copy of the reprint which MJ were dishing out at the last Heathrow HiFi show and I also had a chance to talk with the owners of the company. They seemed right nice people who are passionate about all their products and particularly about the 200. Since that time I have been saving up for the upgrade because I was staggered that such a small subwoofer could produce such a fantastic sound with all the additional slam and punch I wanted to go with my movies. Something which my Pro 50 just cannot match. After all it is a 10in driver verses an 8in.

I now have a new Ref 200 sitting in my living room and have used it for a couple of weeks. I cannot put into words how happy I am with it. It has features which I did not fully understand to be beneficial until I got it – the main ones are as follows:

It has 2 independent xovers which are totally independent from each other and enable a completely different xover and gain setting to be applied to 2 separate input sources.

It has remote control with the use of a nifty remote eye. I thought this would be a gimmick but it’s very clever and enables me to place the sub out of sight and still control the settings and call up memory settings from my listening position. It also enables me to hide the subs rear panel and cables leaving the wooden cabinet finish to enhance the appearance of the room. My wife even says she likes it because it is not too big and looks like a quality piece of furniture.

It has 4 memory settings to store settings for all adjustments in the menu. It did take me a few reads of the manual to get a full grip on the settings but its really quite easy to use after the initial scare from all those knobs on the control panel.

It has auto shut off, 12v trigger(not really useful for me)

There are many other features but these are the ones which I think make it a users delight.

MJ told me at the show that the driver used has been specially designed from the ground up and that this is the key to the sound output. I know I should’nt but I am going to take mine apart to see what the driver looks like. If any wants to see it then I will post a pic.

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    If you do take it apart you can wave bye-bye to your guarantee.
    Is that a risk you are willing to take?
    If it ain't broke, don't mend it!
    Contact MJ for a picture if you are desperate to see the driver.

Nimby

3. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes please :smashin:

Edit..crossed with Nimby there. You should be able to pull the driver out enough to see with out anyone knowing you've done so....although Nimby is quite right :lesson:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Others may risk their warranty if they tried to take their speakers apart but I think that "Joe Abbeywood" could just pull a replacement off the production line.

A quick review of every one of "Joe's" previous posts spaced over the last two years should prove interesting in both content and style and leads one to wonder why the company feel that this type of underhand promotion is necessary.

Normally this type of spam would just be deleted but on this occasion I will leave it here so that all of the members can make their own minds up.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,402
    Joe Abbeywood has assured me that he doesn't work for MJ.
    I asked him to therefore consider posting about other components of his home cinema system rather than barking on about his sub and giving everyone the impression he works for them.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My apologies Joe. I noticed in your profile that you worked in computers and after a quick search, came across Abbeywood Computers in Wisbech which is co-incidentally just 2.5 miles away from MJ Acoustics in Wisbech.

The co-incidences don't stop there either as Abbeywood Computers is run by one John Jeffries as is MJ Acoustics.

Applegate entry is here

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hey Ian

What about getting Joe to supply us with an in-room frequency response graph for his sub....? :devil:

Nimby