1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJ Acoustics Ref. 200 Vs. Rel Stampede

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Timbo21, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi everyone,

Went down to 7oaks in Weybridge yesterday (highly recommend them) & tried
    the MJ Ref.200 & the Rel Stampede. Demo was with music only & using low level
    inputs via phono & using some MK satellites.

Started off with Rel just briefly, sounded OK from off axis where I was standing,
    however not very powerful. Then transferred to the MJ. Immediately you could hear there was more power available, thanks to the 200w amp as oppsed to the Rel's 100w. Bass drum on the MJ sounded very clean. I tried diff. music
    styles from guitar bands to dance and no matter what I did with the crossover
    I was getting very boomy bass frequencies & a real lack of distinction on bass guitar. It did give a good bass drum sound, but there were all sorts of holes
    which didn't seem to become filled with adjusting the crossover. I must say the boominess seemed to be below the 50hz range and this was so even when moving the
    crossover freq. up to 100Hz or more. Additionally I was not very impressed with
    the wood finish on the MJ, which seemed like it had been quite roughly sanded
    with very little varnish.

Transferred back to Rel & what a difference! The Mk satellites sounded like complete floorstanders with no holes in bottom-mids with all bass frequencies being nicely controlled & no boominess. I would like to add both subs were demoed in same room position. The Rel sounded great on all types of music I tried.

However...The Rel doesn't go b***dy loud enough! I mean it sounds great, but
    when I turned it up over no.6 I think it's protection circuitry compression-like effect
    started to kick in, so it always sounded better taking it back to no.6! :(

I haven't tried the Strata V, which seems to be the same except with 150w amp.
    But this is £150 - £175 more, depending if you're opting for wood veneer, and according to reviews you still don't get that much power, which is terrible if
    you're spending £800!

I think Rel really should give more power for the money they are charging.

Anyways, I'm going to try a Quad L sub. Only £75 more than the Stampede's wood
    veneer. It's bigger & has 300w amp. :D

T.

p.s. Hope I haven't done injustice to MJ. It may be possible to get better results
    by running both Hi & Lo level inputs simultaneously & adjsuting the two independent xovers & gains of the two inputs. However, I believe you may only be able to do this with movies (but don't hold me to that).

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I hear that MJ Accoustics have quite poor crossovers, allowing considerably higher frequencies through to the sub driver. Perhaps this will account for the lack of definition? Depends on how it was set up, mind. If the processor/amp is doing the filtering, then this isn't the problem.

I would be intersted in your thoughts on the the Quad sub, though.

Russell

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'll let you know about the quad.

I was really surprised about the MJ since it's
    had such great reviews. Perhaps there was something I was missing on it, but I
    can't think of anything off hand. I didn't try it on movies, so that might be a different story & maybe it isn't great at handling all the lower frequencies when
    using satellites?

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    This is exactly what I have experienced from MJ subwoofers. Before you start moaning about the price of the REL subs you should realise that if they produced subs at the same price points as MJ with the same power there would be compromises elsewhere in their designs like the crossover in the MJs. I would also recommend you audition the REL Storm 5 if you are looking for a bit more grunt, I think Russraff would also agree with this recommendation.

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    If you can try and get a demo on a Velodyne SPL-800 mkII it might be what your after,I have never heard one but used to have a deco which was more or less the same as the SPL-800 mk1 a great sub with all the power you could want ,the mk11 can only be better as it as a 1000w amp compared to the old 600w.

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Yes, I would love to audition the Storm 5. I read the post of the forum member you demoed one for. I'm sure it would be just the ticket.
    Unfortunately, since I think it's £1000 or thereabouts, it's £350 too
    expensive. :( boo hoo

I think the max. will be £700. I'm going to try a quad L sub. I'm getting 11L's
    & a centre L so I'll see what it's like. I would be happy with the Stampede,
    but I think I'll just want that bit more power.

T.

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hmm. I know that the Stampede is a bit of a letdown, but I can't believe that the Strata 5 will be any worse than the Strata 3, and the Strata 3 was pretty good. If you haven't listened to the Strata 5, then do so. I will probably demo it and the Quad sub myself, but I want the ability to connect high and low inputs at the same time which the Quad can't do (I think).

I know what you mean about the Storm 5 price, though. I would rather have a grittex cabinet and some off the price, thanks.

I hope that it is the bird's eye maple finish you are geting the Quad's in?

Russell

8. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    No, I thought I would get the humbug ebony for £50 extra. :smashin:
    ....maybe not.

No, I am getting the bird's-eye maple.

I phoned Quad about the simultaneous connection of hi & lo inputs. They told me you can connect both at same time, but you don't have independent gain control. However, if it blows the Strata V away, then I won't be worrying too much about it.

9. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    What's this?? Check out the banner for BK Electronics! The Monolith looks like something to savour indeed. Especially at that price.

Russell

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Indeed. Bob1 started a thread about it earlier this afternoon. :)

11. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263

Yeah, I think lot of people have good things to say about BK stuff.

I def want a downward firer, so the kids don't kick the cone in!

12. esquire415

esquire415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's interesting to note that here in the US, the MJ Acoustics is actually pricier than the REL. So I really don't see how MJ can even compete with a more established brand this side of the continent. For example, the REL Q108 MKII (Quake) costs $749 while the comparable MJ Reference 100 costs $900! Granted that the REL is only available in black and silver, the price of the MJ plus the additional cost if you want a wood finish (extra 15%) is not worth the switch.

13. Arian

Arian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody,
    I'm planning to buy a subwoofer that would add some bass to my Magnepan's.
    I've roaming the Net and read a lot but I'm curious what you might think.
    Please give me your opinion.
    My main speakers are Maggie's type MG12QR, I just love my Maggie's but they seem to lack some weight, so that's why I'm going to buy myself a Sybwoofer.
    I'm thinking about puchasing the REL Quake, the MJA Reference 100 or the Velodyne SPL-800 type II.
    What is your opinion.
    I'm drving these speakers with my DENON PMA 1500 MKII and DCD-1450 CD player my speaker interconnect is QED-350XT and I use van den hull interlink between CD and Amp.

14. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you looked at Velodyne?

Fish

15. Arian

Arian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did looked at Velodyne.
    The SPL-800 is really expensive.
    So I guess I stick to REL or MJA.
    I prefer REL, have no good reason why, it's just a feeling.
    I'm planning to get both the Quake and later in september the Stampede for an audition at my place.
    (Got to safe enough money first :D )
    The CHT type from Velodyne is probably not fast enough to match the Maggie's.

16. chazzbo

chazzbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't heard MJ so it's disapointing that these guys who left REL to start MJ came out with less as opposed to more refined product.I'd say if you tilt to music stay with REL if you need "Boom in Room" get MJ.Me I tilt towrds tunes so when I go 5.1 fro my 2 ch. I plan on getting either a REL Storm III or might check out new series.I sold Velodyne in States for 6 years and they are great if pricey.Best option would be to get fast tunefull sub like REL,MJ (I also like Marin Logan because of multi drivers like REL very fast and seamless for Qauds and Maggies) and add a $450 Velodyne SVS remote equalizer.Another product that got great reviews at 6moons is TBI Magellan which you can oder without amp and than hook second bok parralele and get more output.Smooth enough that I knowsome body who replaced his much more expnsive Avantegarde B225 subs with a pair.No trick ingetting thud but with refined speaker you'd like loudnes AND speed.
    Chazz[:thumbsup:-][/-]