1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJ Acoustics Ref 100 - Bargain???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Gizmo 76, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Hi all,

Have purchased Monitor Audio BFX Rears, and a MA Silver Centre speaker. My next purchases are MA S1 or S2 Fronts(depends on how they audtion!!) and then a new Sub.

In 'Home Entertainment' Magazine that came out today they reviewed the MJ Acoustics Ref 100 Sub, stating a price of £350 in black or £400 in a wood finish, does anyone know how this would compare to the REL Quake and Rel 150?? I would be using it for both music and movies though!!

I know they are loads of theards about Subs, but if this price is correct!!, surely it seems like quite a bargain??

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Giz.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Neither the REL Quake nor Q150 seem to be well liked on these forums whilst in general the MJ Acoustics products fare better.

The prices that you have quoted are pretty standard and include Forum sponsor hifibitz unless you buy it today whereupon there will be a 5% discount. Full details here

3. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Out of interest how well did the MJ Acoustics ref 100 sub fare in the review?

I used to buy HE (from the first issue) but have no idea how reliable their reviews are these days. Any opinions?

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The MJ sub did very well in the Home Entertainment review. I have to say I feel they might have been being a little on the generous side myself... still, it's a better bet than the REL Quirk.

5. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    So do you all think that this Sub would be a better buy than either the REL Quark or 150E??

Why is the PRO 50 in the same price bracket?? would have thought this was the better buy?? :confused:

Does anyone actually own this Sub?, if so how have you got on with music and movies??

Thanxs again all

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Gizmo
    Wilber off the forums has the mj pro 100 and he rates it highly .
    Gonzo.

7. jaesun

jaesun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine a few weeks ago from creative audio. came with spikes and a QED subwoofer cable, plus it arrived at my flat the very next day. All for the same price as every place else.

The digital LED takes the guesswork out of setting the frequency cut-off. I don't know much about hifi, but I know what I like and perfectly happy with it.

8. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As did I. I am totally blown away by Creative Audio - superb service, friendly staff and great prices. Highly recommend them.

I am still in the process of trying to position mine. So far the best place is in a right awkward bloody position. So far I am very happy, however I have no basis for comparison really. Apart from hearing a mates Pro 50 and liking it.

As for the bass performance, I'd say that for a small box it plumbs some pretty substantial depths. The flyby sequence from AOTC scared the s**t out of me 1st time I played it :) I need much more time to evaluate it - but I'd say its keeper.

Now to rearrange the furniture around the sub.

BTW Gizmo, this is the Ref 100 rather than the more substantial PRO 100.

9. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Thanks for all your advice so far, but i'm still not sure what sub to go for?? here's my new list of candidates:-

Velodyne CHT 10, MJ Acoustics ref 100, BK XLS 200, REL Quake or REL 150E(over budget really!!)

The sub would need to be suited to music and movies, so would a high and low connections be needed for this??

My Sub at the moment just has one connection method, while it sounds ok(only ok mind) for movies, it just sounds boomy and messy for music, doesn't go very low either!!!

Thanks again peoples for any help received
    :smashin:

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That is one of the problems with cheap subwoofers as it is easier to engineer them to sound good with movies than it is with music where a little more precision is required.

My money would go on the BK XLS 200 over the MJ Acoustic sub for reasons that I will explain in a PM - so check your inbox please ;)

11. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Cheers Ian:smashin: , thanks for your advice.

12. Matata

Matata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a cheap subwoofer and have been reading up to get some suggestions.

The MJ Acoustics gets good write ups as do the Rel subwoofers but I find they don't get good reviews here, presumably from people that own them?

I haven't heard of the BK XLS 200, but I can't work out from the above whether you prefer it or the MJ Acoustics? Have you heard them all?

I have also read high praise for the Velodyne VX-10 and CHT-10, which Gizmo 76 mentioned, both of which come at around my £300 budget. As I only want the subwoofer for watching films, would these suit me better? (I have read they're better for films than music). Thanks for your help.

13. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this helps but i've heard the Rel 150 and it goes very deep with tonnes of grunt, much more than my Kef 20b which Uncle Eric likened to a MJ pro 50. I would be surprised if the MJ Pro 100 beat it in terms of depth or output, in fact I didn't buy it mainly because it would have upset my neighbor it is that powerful!

However on the downside it can become a little fatiguing. But if you want depth in a small box then i think it would be hard to beat.

But the BK electronics sub (can't remember name) at £275 is very interesting.

14. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it were my money I think i would go for the BK XLS 200!! Agree with Ian. I would be interested in knowing your reasons Ian!

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Both MJ Acoustics and REL subs also get good write ups here as well by some people. It is human nature to praise the equipment that you own, especially if it is your first subwoofer and was bought without demonstrating what the competition has to offer so it is frequently of more use to read what the dissenters have to say and the REL Q150 seems to have a few of those.

If your requirement is for movie use only, probably any one of the subs that you have mentioned will work well, however if you want to listen to music with any degree of rythm I like the offerings by MJ Acoustics, as do most of the hifi and AV press who consistently award them 5 stars.

16. Matata

Matata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't help that very few shops seem to stock competing subwoofers. Most carry Rel or MJ Acoustics, but not usually both, and I've not seen any BK or Velodyne in any shops.

It doesn't make life easy for the consumer - or maybe that's the point!

Are BK and Velodyne only available through their websites?

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    BK are only available direct from the manufacturer and whilst REL are available from hundreds of retail outlets, Velodyne seem only to be carried by half a dozen which is perhaps an indication of their lack of popularity in the UK.

18. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got the Velodyne CHT-10 since last Friday. And all I can say, you will not regret it a single bit. Quality build with an absolutely superb sound.
    I was going to go for a SVS PCI+ 16-46, the idea was put on hold as there is some talk about more substantial discounts. As I was subwoofer less I thought I buy the relative 'cheap' CHT-10 which should be easy to resell or alternative use as a dedicated sub for the centre channel....
    My room is 16ftx28ft and this is all the bass I need. Absolutely no need for any more.....
    Get it you won't be disapointed...

19. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After a little more time (and one viewing of The Two Towers) - plus a bit more faffing about with positioning AND giving the sub time to run in, I would say the folowing about the MJA Ref 100:

Lacks punch / slam in some movie sequences, specifically with quick successions of explosions etc. (this seems to be getting better the longer I use it however).

Shows its limitations with real low end stuff.

However, having typed both of those, I can honestly say that I am very happy with its performance. The sound is controlled and tight, and really does go very low when you consider the size of the driver. Also the unit it superb with music, from classical to dance and with rock. The digital display is very handy for crossover tuning, and the power indicator is useful for gauging how the unit is handling the levels you have set.

One of the minor reasons I went for it over the CHT-10 was the size of the unit (an unfortunate consideration when living with a member of the fairer sex). My estimation is that for movies the CHT-10 would be a better bet, but by reading user reviews and comments if you want both and be able to tuck it away easily - the MJA ref 100 would suit nicely.

With reference to pricing, if you buy this unit from Creative-Audio (as I did) they are throwing in a £40 QED 6M sub cable and some £15 quid spikes plus free delivery at the moment.

20. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ah... looks like one of those horrible situations where the cheapest product is the best. ;)

MuFu.

21. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Yep looks that way MuFu, i've email my interest to both BKE and a Velodyne CHT 10 dealer. So it's between these 2, at the moment, i'm more swayed towards the BK XLS200 at the moment due to size and recommendations.

Not easy this AV lark, but these forums are great for giving your an insight into products before purchse, cheers all.:D

22. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  23. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    May I suggest the Paradigm PW2200 costing £350 from Richer Sounds? details here

Yes, I know I have one, and I am aware of the points Ian made above about people praising their own equipment. However, I have heard the MJ pro50 and the REL 150/200. I can honestly say that the PW2200 is a far better sub than all of the under £400 subs that I have heard (and plenty above £400) for both movies and music. The only drawback is it's size, which is not much smaller than a Servo15.

Russell

24. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My lord, if you guys think the CHT-10 is big I had to think how small the other subs must be. I find the CHT-10 quite compact and compared to my floor standers quite small (And they are only AE Aegis 3's...)....
    The only thing I noticed with some of the other subs is that height wise it seems taller, but as you don't (shouldn't) put anything on top it does not really matter does it....