1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJ Acoustics Pro 50 VS MS 309 (Which one to choose??)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MeeR, Jun 16, 2004.

1. MeeR

MeeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie needs help to make decision... :confused:
    I'm in the process of buying a sub woofer, but I'm totally
    new to this. The sub will be use for 70% Music 30% Home Theater.

MJ Acoustics Pro 50 vs MS 309

My current set up is as follows:
    Denon 1803
    B&W DM602 Front
    B&W DM601 Rear
    B&W CC6 Centre

Any suggestions gratefully received.

MeeR

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    we have the Pro50 and the MS309 in where i work, at a hifi shop. I'm the first person (I believe) to say the MS309 sounds absolutely appalling. There is quite frankly not enough deep bass and the amplifier is nowhere near powerful enough. I actually thought the sub was faulty but the other unit we got in sounds the same. I was expecting high things of this because its bigger MS909 brother sounds fantastic.

The Pro50 on the other hand sounds sublime. If you have a small to medium room then you won't be disappointed. With some Mordaunt Short 902 standmount speakers, the Pro50 made the stereo image so much better and integrated perfectly. It doesn't extend as low as MJ promise (15hz i believe!!!) but it easily goes down to mid 20s and is perfect for all music tastes, from what i've found. If you can find another £50, up to £349 the MJ Ref 100 is quite a bit better for larger rooms, incidentally.

HTHs

3. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I have the MJ Acoustics Ref 100 and I think it is fantastic in my room size of 4 metres x 5.5 metres....I notice a great difference on music and movies and this sub can go low for the money i.e. around £349..I used to run a budget Tannoy MX 10 SUB on my Low Frequency Channel but now I run the MJ and the difference is much deeper faster tight controlled bass....highly recommended,,,

Good Luck with whatever you choose
    Regards
    swartzy :)

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would strongly consider the BK Electronics XLS200 and the sub under discussion, here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136091

The former wipes the floor with the Pro 50. I haven't heard the Ruark but it's likely at least as good as the BK, if not better.

5. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, sorry if I'm hi-jacking your thread here MeeR but I have a similar
    question. I'm also looking to buy a sub that will be used for 70% Music 30%
    Home Theater.

Just about to purchase 2 kef Q4s with 5005 for the surround using a Denon
    3805 amp. I was thinking about the MJ Ref 100 or a Kef sub as my speakers will all be kef, but the 2 stores I spoke to suggested I go for the REL Q150
    MKII. They are both small subs which is good as my living room is only just over 3m sq although a large part of the wall has been knocked through to the
    similar size dinning room.

I was wondering what you would recommend Rozzar (or anyone else) as I would rather go for the cheaper MJ.

Many thanks Eric2

6. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    MJ Ref100 or a 2nd hand Rel Q200. Not so long ago there were 2 haunting in the classifieds for around £300.

I've just recieved my Ruark Logrhythm btw. Allegedly a Strata III beater ( i don't know personally though) .Yes, it certainly blows all the subs mentioned away, but its a fair old motha of a sub, size wise. think its about 50cm cubed... The MJ Pro 50 is 30cm cubed, the Ref 100 is around 35cm cubed

7. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    oh, and i had a Tannoy MSub10 once. I agree 100% with above poster and his Tannoy sub. The mains transformers incredibly noisy and actually interfered with the movie! Hope their new subs are better.

8. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Wonder why both those stores recommended the rel?

9. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've heard the Q200E and an XLS10-based BK sub. Again, the BK is a far better buy (and it still would be at twice the price, IMHO).

How are they coping with demand of the XL200s at the moment? That'd be my only concern; that and resale value, perhaps. There might be a substantial wait after you order.

10. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yes, BK Electronic's isn't realyl a recognised brand outside of these forums so would be a bit tricky to sell on.
    I've never heard a Q200, but i just based my recommendation on it winning some awards a while ago @ £600 so presumably wouldn't be a shabby buy at £300. Would certainly see off Mission M3as, Wharfedale Powercube 10, Yamaha YSTSW320/315 etc etc

11. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    :) I run my MJ Acoustics ref 100 on low level phono and have my Tannoy sub hooked up via speaker cable i.e. cabletalk 3.1 to the centre speaker (as suggested by the MJ acoustics website and by phoning for advice)...The result is terrific as my centre channel has come alive as well as my music listening.......

system

Tannoy M3 Fronts (cabletalk 3.1)
    Tannoy MR Front Effects (Q.E.D. quodos)
    Tannoy MC Centre (cabletalk 3.1)
    Tannoy M3 rears (gale)
    Tannoy MX10-SUB hooked up high level to Tannoy MC Centre (cabletalk 3.1)
    MJ Acoustics Ref 100 Sub hooked up via low level phono to amp (Keene)
    Yamaha DSP-AX2 Home Cinema Amp
    Sony 905 MR dvd player (Ecosse ref producer digital coaxial to amp)
    Toshiba 37 inch dd tv (QED Sqart RGB from dvd player)
    Panasonic Video Recorder ( QED Sqart 21 pin to tv)

Listen to music in 8 channel stereo
    Listen to films in DD or DTS enhanced

12. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was wondering why 2, the Rel doesn't seem to have good reviews on these forums, yet the 2 shops tell me its much better than the MJ Ref 100. (Maybe better profit margins)
    Seems owners of the MJ Ref 100 are very happy with the musical side of the sub, so I'm leaning towards this.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is unusual to find shops that stock the full range of both REL and MJ subs as they seem to either sell one or the other and I suppose that it is human nature to knock the one that you don't sell.

The REL Q200 is quite a good sub and I have a couple of forum friends that have been quite pleased with theirs but they are expensive to buy new at full retail price.

The BK sub is probably the best value sub as it is only sold direct from factory to customer and therefore cuts out the retailers profit much as SVS do for the much larger subs and as your requirement is 70% music you may want to forgo the ultimate depth offered by some competitors in favour of timing.

For mainly music in a small room my vote would go for the BK XLS200

14. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not so long ago I was looking at which sub to buy and had pretty much made my mind up on either the MJ Acoustics Pro50 or Pro100.

Then What HiFI did a group review including the MS 309.

I thought to myself - I can get a proper wood veneer sub for £230 rather than the silver/black paint finish of the MJ subs at something like £350...

Sure it may not be quite as good (not that I've had the chance to compare the two), but for the price :thumbsup: and it whips my old sub into submission!

15. rd350ypvs

rd350ypvs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    same here, just bought the MS309, waiting on my Evo3's and just bought the NADC521BEE cd player, letting the stuff run in over a week period, but sounding excellant so far

andyw

16. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I beleive it is all down to the individual and their budget/personal taste sometimes.....I was happy with my Tannoy Sub now I am a good bit more happy with the performance of the MJ Acoustics Ref 100.....whose to say the MS309 isn't as good or not better to another listener....?

swartzy

17. Killahertz

Killahertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taken from a thread on Talkaudio...

Four days later, in this thread:

A 'reconsideration' of Blair-esque proportions.

18. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    well spotted Killahertz... we only got them in at work 3 days ago however... i heard one at a demo a little while ago and it certainly blitzed some Yamaha competition but treated in isolation against the MJ Pro50 it certainly wasn't up to the job imo