1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJ Acoustics PRO 50 Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by pwoody, Nov 12, 2002.

1. pwoody

pwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant afford an REL and was wondering if anyone could comment on how good they are especially with music.

2. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a HT forum the Pro 50 seems to get a lot of stick because of it's size, not having the output of some of the bigger velodynes/servos etc.

Now while I watch alot of films (rent at least 4-5 a week) my Pro50 spends most of it's time occupied with funky basslines from old hip hop tracks which is where it excels, it's musicality. It's very tight and controlled, with none of that 'overhang' or one-note boombox that subs can suffer from.

In short I'm thrilled to bits with it's musical abilities.

That's all in my un-experienced, humble, soon-to-be-corrected-by-someone-older's opinion.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dom..

Sounds like you're describing a HGS unit!!!!!!!!!.

Dom, You're entitled to your opinion mate....
    My mate has one of these along with the MJ Pro Accoustics Cinema 1 package.

No-one expects it to 'hang on street corners' with the bully-boy subs of this world..........scaring old ladies like an Aphex Twin video.....For my mate....size is a factor..(typical women eh!!!!!!)

Adzman..

4. pwoody

pwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I will unfortunately don't have a detached house so Massive Bass volume is not an issue. A friend has a Mission sub with two 8" drive units and loads of power but sounds awful with any music in fact he turns it off when playing CD's, so its good to hear MJ 50 can hold down a tune.

5. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having a pro 50 myself & not having heard any Velodyne subs I concur with Dom H. A good little Sub ideal for small rooms that does not dominate a room physically.

Having said that, I probably would have bought a Velodyne If I had the chance to hear one, but I have not a lot of space in my HC room so I bought the pro 50 instead, very pleased so far.

6. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yep, me too...

Didn't have the cash, space or the understanding wife necessary to get a bigger/better sub, but I'm dead chuffed with the Pro 50. I use it loads with music and have found it to be very musical. Don't expect it to rattle your gonads with Dudley-earthquake levels of sub-bass, but for it's size and cost you really couldn't do better....

See if you can get a home demo of it before buying... but I doubt very much if you'll be disappointed ;)

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about a second hand REL, the Q50/Q100 are very good units.