MJ acoustics pro 50 or BK Gemini. compact sub choice- please help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Vilaubas, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All, I'm looking to add a sub to the system I have in the kitchen and can't decide between these two.

(I have a wanted ad in the forums but it looks as though I'm going to have to go for a new one as I've had no replies)

I need a really compact sub to fit under some shelves (around 300mm) and have read great things about both BK and MJ subs, i appreciate the MJ is £100 more than the BK gemini, my question is will I notice the difference and is it really so much better?.
    (I first started thinking of the BK Minotaur but thought it woud be just too small and underpowered, is this true?)
    I've got a couple of small sony satellite speakers up on the walls and listen to movies, cd's and DAB radio (mainly classical) using a teac DRH300DAB player.

out of curiosity how does the Monitor audio R360 sound compared to these two?

Any advice about these or any other compact good value subs for under £300 that I should be thinking about would be really appreciated to make sure I get the right sound and don't make the wrong choice.
    thanks
    Andy.

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    If you look really closely, you'll notice that the Minotaur is staggeringly similar to the Pro 50 Mk1. There's a good reason for this;)

How much room exactly have you got?

The reason?

Well, the £300 that the Pro 50 Mk2 costs, gets you the BK XLS-200 which will slaughter anything yet mentioned. The Pro 50 is 325mm high with the forward firing XLS at 295mm and the down firing version at 340mm.

Compare and contrast the specs (size/power/driver) between the XLS-200 and the MJ Ref 200 at a scarcely believable RRP of £750. Ignore the claimed frequency responses, they bare as much relation to reality as UKIP, but you'll notice an oportunity to score some serious performance for a lot less money. Or, if you prefer, a lot more performance for the same money.:smashin:

Russell

3. RugbyAl

RugbyAl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I bought my Pro 50 about 5 years ago ex-dem. I dont doubt the validity of Russ's comments as he sounds considerably more experienced than me, but I can say that I have been very happy with my sub. Absolute bass extension/volume is not critical for me as I have a 2 yr old sleeping when I get to watch movies, but I have found the Pro 50 to have more than enough power when I do get the chance to turn things up!
    I also play a lot of music dvds, and possibly because the subs driver is only 8" and its a sealed box design (not ported), I have found it to be very good with music, being tight and keeping good rythm.

4. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replies gents, as far as the amount of room I have goes I could really do with a sub less than 300mm wide, height about the same, length isn't so important (hence the question about the Monitor Audio radius 360 as its long and narrow) as it has to go under some shelves in the kitchen (wich has a hard laminate floor)

I don't have a budget as such but I'd rather spend £150 than £300 as it seems to be a bit over the top matching a £300 sub with a £300 DVD/ DAB all in one box player, I'm wondering if the TEAC has got the quality and guts to get the best from a top quality sub (hence the budget/ compact route) .

Don't want to get carried away but don't want to regret penny pinching really..... minotaur or gemini would be fine size wise, is the gemini £50 better, or am I just being mean??

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    If that's the case (given the system and situation in question) buy the Minotaur. For £150, you won't go wrong with a sub that would have cost you £300 (on the high street) a year ago.:smashin:

Russell

6. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info Russ, off to get my order in (as soon as I tell my wife the good news).
    Andy