Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

MJ Acoustic Subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MrJubbly, Dec 16, 2004.

1. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone out there own, or considered owning, one of these subs? If so I would be intersted to know what you think.

I'm looking for a new sub at the mo and the Reference 200 fits my budget. Unfortunately I can't find much mention of this sub, or MJA subs in genreal, on this forum to get an idea from people who have first hand experirence of them.

Kind Regards,

Jubbly

2. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Jubbly,

I own an MJ Acoustics Pro 100. It's the twin driver downward firing version, and has been the subject of some excellent reviews (let me know if you need pointing to any of them) - I don't think there are many people on here who have them however. I found it always to be excellent with music and movies alike - probably doesn't give you the biggest 'slam' in the world, or certainly not compared to what I upgraded to (my Pro 100 now sits forlornly in its box :( ), but then we are talking different animals here altogether. The finish on them is very good, and they will (IMHO) seamlessly integrate into any sytem with no fuss. Don't know if this helps at all - anything else you would like to know then I'll try to help...

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    There's a review of the ref 200 in the latest Home cinema choice mag and it gets a best buy.

4. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Juniper,

I'm looking at spending no more than £650 on a sub and I'm finding it very difficult to narrow the field down to even just a few. In fact my list is expanding! Basically I'm after a sub that will be primarily used for HC, but I'd like it to be reasonably good for music also. The sub will be used in conjunction with KEF Q7s (which I hope to be buying tomorrow) and will be in a room that is 18 ft by 12.

My list currently looks like this:

REL Stampede
    Velodyne CHT-12R
    MJ Acoustics Reference 200
    B&W 675

I've removed SVS (too big and don't want to import) and various KEF subs plus a couple of other contenders.

If you've got any pointers or views on the above I'd be interested to hear.

Regards,

Jubbly

5. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi Jubbly,

I'm afraid that other than the B&W 675, I have no personal experience of the others and so therefore cannot compare. The B&W is a great speaker, plenty of slam for HC, but as I said I do not know how if fares against the others. Good luck with your quest - best thing to do is to get demos and see how they sound - I'm sure you won't be disappointed with any of those you list.