1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MJ Accoustics Reference 1 OR REL Storm III

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Tracey, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard both the MJ and REL subs? I was thinking about getting the REL Storm III as I liked it when I had a demo but it's £900 and if I got one it would cost more than that as I want it in maple which would be a special order. However I've noticed some good reviews about MJ Accoustics and the Reference 1 sub seems has quite similar specs to the REL Storm, but it's cheaper £800 for a maple finish. I want to use my sub for music and movies and liked the idea of the REL as I was told that I could have it set up at one level for music and another for movies without having to keep changing the settings, obviously I'd want it turned up a bit when I'm watching a film. I'm really seriously thinking about the MJ Ref1 as I'm not interested in a sub that is really loud, I just don't want the boomy bass I have now with my PDR10, also I need a downward firing sub so I can put it nearish the corner of the room.

so has anyone got any opinions on either? The extra £200 I would save by getting the MJ Ref1 would go towards the cost of my speaker cable.

2. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They come in a special black maple finish and if you tip them up onto their fronts they will be downward firing :D

I haven't heard the Ref1 but I have had a couple of Storms and they are really hard to beat for any application that includes a lot of music

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're primarily looking for a music system I would go a Storm.

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think Sevenoaks carries both brands (my local branch has a Reference 1 on permanent dem, plus several REL models on the shelves); maybe they could do you a comparison?

Dunc

6. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I never did a back to back demo as I didin't have the time, the MJ Ref 1 is slightly smaller than the Storm which was a key consideration at the time.

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, so are you happy with your Ref 1 any pros and cons? It's difficult for me to get out and demo stuff at the moment, I did like the REL Storm but it's lots of money. As I said before though I want it primarily for music so I'm not after something that will sound like an earthquake.

8. hindutimes

hindutimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracey,

I suggest go for REL Quake for £425 in cherry a lot cheaper and superb sub-bass experience as I owned one. Ask yourself do you really need that much for bass frequencies? The QUAKE will meet your needs for sure at really nice price. I got mine for £370 cherry real bargain.

QUAKE is small and really good sub and still have extra ££ to buy a new Pioneer DVD 656 player. What ya think?

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hindutimes - the Rel Quake does not even perform to the likes of the Storm. Trying to put down the Storm by lifting yours higher is not the way to do it.

I've heard it going; terrible. I would only use the Quake for a budget sub/system configuration, or for a bedroom system.

Considering you can buy a second hand Storm for £400- I would rather do this (or buy a MJ Referecence 1) than buy a Rel Quake new.

10. hindutimes

hindutimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as I said this is depends on Tracey's requirement not yours ;o)

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Tracey wants a high quality subwoofer- she's starting at a Rel Strata or better.

Not the bottom of the range Rel subwoofer.

Tracey, if your AV amp has seperate stereo & AV settings (DD/DTS) -it'll be alot easier to setup. I have a Rel Storm V1- only using low level; but my processor does have individual settings for subwoofer. So I can ramp up movies subwoofer channel to +3, and stereo -4dB.

Unless you can do this having a subwoofer for music/av system (and you want seperate AV/music settings) can be a bit more tricky.

I would say the Storm is a very good subwoofer in a medium sized room, although if you need a high output subwoofer for movies you could look for something else, as it tends to struggle a bit on certain DVD's. It's great for music though.

I haven't heard the SVS's but a few people have changed over from a Rel Storm to SVS and seem very happy.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/

oh looking at your processor- yeah that should do seperate stereo & AV settings. So any decent subwoofer will do then.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I heard the REL Quake at the Practical Hifi Show in Manchester last year and it sounded dreadful. It was so poor that the music sounded much better when it was switched off.

13. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracey,

This is my first sub so I don't really have much to compare to. I have also moved so it is now in a room about 10m x4mx3m which is only one leg of the L shpaed room so I am asking for it to do a lot. Originally I had it connected via speaker level as well as LFE but it sounded too boomy so I now only have it connected at LFE.

The sub is nicely finished and the guys at MJ were helpful with advice on how to set it up.

I can't say that it is better than any other as i didn't demo subs when I bought it - a bit like you no time as i was moving again.

14. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, well thanks to everyone for the advice (didn't want to start any arguments). I suppose as usual it's the money and the size and look of the sub that means I just can't make up my mind. I admit when I heard the Storm it didn't blow me away for movies but it was very good and it sounded excellent for music, if I had a sub that didn't then I would only use it for movies which seems like a waste of money to me as a good sub really did improve the sound of the system. Also, even with my PDR10 I find myself switching it off frequently as I mostly watch a film at night and I doubt my new neighbour would be that impressed when I move in if they can feel the floor rumbling every night so that's why I'm not really interested in something that will shake the entire house! I have soundproofed the lounge as best I can, put a stud wall in with amw and two layers of plasterboard but bass will always get through and I don't think my neigbour is deaf yet (the other side isn't attached so they're not a problem). I must admit I'm seriously considering the MJ Accoustice Ref 1 as it's slightly smaller (more boyfriend friendly) and cheaper and it comes in a maple finish, if I went for a Storm or Strata I would need to get a special order which will cost extra. Hmmm decisions decisions.:confused:

15. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    does this mean we need a new acronym? BAF/HAF maybe? :rotfl:

i thought all men liked anything that was large and made a big noise? i swear i'm just attracted to anything with pretty lights or that makes a cool noise :p

16. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it does!!! My boyfriend loves loud music (and good quality music at that, he moans if it sounds terrible) but he thinks I'm mad spending so much on hi-fi, but then he says my friend's system sounds terrible, so he can't have the best of both Worlds can he!! I think what annoys him is when I spend loads of MY money then tell him we can't go out cos we've spent to much. well it's only fair, I buy the hi-fi and he pays the mortage! :rotfl: