Mixture Of Old HiFi Looking For Help To Upgrade What to Keep What To Lose

Mark Merry

Novice Member
Hi Guys
Due to a change in Life moved out of my home and manage to put together a few bits of Hifi for my new place begged and borrowed.
I have a pair of old Rega Juras floorstanders,a NAD D 3020 amp and a very old Cyrus CD8 SE CD player. I listen to some CD's but mostly through my laptop and attached external hard drives playing mp3 via bluetooth, plus some Spotify and You tube. Music I listen to is mainly Soul & Jazz, CD player sounds OK but I don't think I'm getting the best of the rest. I have about £1000 to invest not sure what to change first. I live on the first floor have a 1 bedroom flat the lounge is decent size with high ceilings and is where i listen mainly. I've looked through the site and watched lots of you tube audiophile channels but I'm getting confused. Any help ideas etc much appreciated

muljao

You've a good amp, speakers and cd player. It sounds to me you would like it more convenient. I'd suggest looking at a modern streamer (blue sound node 2i springs to mind) to give you a good robust streaming option. I can't imagine your cds lacking sound quality through your system, you can pretty much get streaming to that sound level. Just a thought

larkone

Distinguished Member
The Juras are good speakers (used to own a pair) and if they still sound good then they could do with a better amp, something in the range 75-100W, 30W from the NAD is a bit underpowered for the Juras. If the CD player still works then you will not gain any significant improvements upgrading that.

Your best bet is to follow the s/hand amp section on here.

Mark Merry

Novice Member
Thank you Guys really appreciate your input i had read and heard so much about the Bluenode 2i as my nad amp i could bluetooth too i wasn't sure if it would make much of a difference but i definitely think i will spend part of my budget on that and then upgrade my amp for something more powerful and stick with the speakers for the time being

muljao

2 things to mention

There is also a powernode 2i that combines a 60w per channel amplifier with the node 2i. It's gets good ratings, obviously more expensive but amp is there and it's tidy. Might be worth a look

There is a classifieds here on this form. If you decide to change amp you'd likey offload your nad no prob if that's what you wanted to do

Jampot90

Is your collection of files really in MP3 or a less lossy format?

Frankly if they are MP3s and you have no plans to improve those, the Bluesound is grossly over specified / expensive and a very much cheaper usb dac will suffice.

If the files are better quality then try to deliver them other than by Bluetooth to derive the best from them.

The suggestion that the Regas will benefit from more oomph is valid so if you are tempted to upgrade the NAD there are lots of options for amps with streaming built in.

Jim

[email protected]

I’m not aware of any evidence that a more powerful amp will help unless you’re driving the current one beyond its limits. But it’s true that the Powernode 2i isn’t that much more expensive than the node 2i, so it’s a way to get more power if you want it. I have both the D3020 and Powernode 2i, in different rooms.

Last edited:

Mark Merry

Novice Member
Thank you guys as for mp3s i digitized my vinyl collection to 320 mp3's in early 2000 and its all gone now if i had known then i think i thought 320 was fine then. I have looked hard at the powernode with the built in amp only thing that puts me off if i decide to get a turntable down the road it hasn't got the inputs.I have been looking at the Cambridge CXN V2 streamer and the CXA 81 Amp and thinking about putting in a bit more money now and making the investment. So appreciate all the ideas Thank you.

athegn1

Novice Member
Thank you guys as for mp3s i digitized my vinyl collection to 320 mp3's in early 2000 and its all gone now if i had known then i think i thought 320 was fine then. I have looked hard at the powernode with the built in amp only thing that puts me off if i decide to get a turntable down the road it hasn't got the inputs.I have been looking at the Cambridge CXN V2 streamer and the CXA 81 Amp and thinking about putting in a bit more money now and making the investment. So appreciate all the ideas Thank you.

larkone

Distinguished Member
I’m not aware of any evidence that a more powerful amp will help unless you’re driving the current one beyond its limits.
I am having owned a pair of Regar Juras - they work far better with more grunt behind them. I moved form a Denon amp at 30wpc to an Arcam A90 (90wpc) and the improvement was substantial.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom