1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mix'n'match vs whole new system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mike W, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Mike W

Mike W
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The time has come, following a house move and new kitchen, to finally get my priorities right and sort out my HT.

My existing Pro-Logic system was made up from a Technics AV500 processor driving the rear and centre channels with a Cyrus One amp (now sadly departed this world) driving the fronts.

Speakers are Mission 761i at the front, something Yamaha as the centre and Mission 731 at the rear.

The room in which all of this is installed is about 12' wide by 24' long, with the TV and front speakers arranges along one of the 12' walls and the main seating position about 13' away from the screen.

Usage is about 70:30 HT:Music.

I've more or less decided on a Yamaha 750 as an amplifier, but I'm struggling to decide what to do about speakers.

Option 1:
    Build upon the existing Missions by adding an m3c2 centre, m3as subwoofer and m3ds rears to give a 7.1 system. This is the cheapest option - and the one I'm edging towards - but I'm concerned about the level of integration between the aging 761is and the m3c2. Also a little concerned whether the 75 watt rated 731s will be man enough for the Yamaha - although I don't tend to wind the volume up excessively.

Option 2:
    Keep the 761is for 2-channel listening and add a set of Mordaunt-Short Genies for HT - perhaps with a pair of MS 903s for surrounds to give 7.1.
    This possibly gives me the best of both worlds but does mean that I've got 9 loadspeakers around the room and kind of negates the benefit of a sat-sub setup.

As an aside - what's anyone's opinion of using exising full-size speakers as 'stands' for sat speakers - i.e. placing the front Genies on top of the 761is?

Option 3:
    Replace the whole lot with a full-size setup - probably one of the AE Evo 3 packages in either 5.1 or 7.1 configuration.

I'd be very happy to hear any opinions on this to either help me make up my mind - or even confuse me more!

Thanks in advance from a struggling newbie.

Cheers

Mike

2. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The received wisdom is to have matching fronts and centre to provide
    right tonal balance with rears less critical
    I cant comment on Mission since havent heard them
    Sitting one speaker on top of another would be a no no
    I have QUAD 11l front and centre with yamaha would highly recommend these.
    I asked and got a discount £60 off fronts and bought centre second hand
    the new Wharfedale diamond 9.1 is highly thought of maybe could form part of a set up

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I would do what fama says and try to keep the front 3 from the same manufacturer and range. Tonal differences can unbalance the sound stage if this is not the case. Ideally the rear's should be the same too but they're not as important as the front three.

As for putting one speaker on top of the other, I wouldn't advise it. I imagine there would be problems with resonance if you did.