Mixing Tannoy Fronts with Paradigm Rears

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bassbin, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've picked up a pair of Tannoy R3s and matching centre recently and will be trying them in place of my existing Paradigms (Monitor 5 and CC350 centre). I'm going to try them with my existing rear speakers (Paradigm ADP150 sides and Paradigm Atom rears). The Paradigm rears all use plastic tweeters and mid range drivers as do the Tannoy should this make them reasonably compatible?

I could buy some Tannoy rears and let my ears decide but Tannoy don't inspire much confidence with their rear designs.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    In generela it doesnt matter to much if the front and rear speaker makes are different as its the front 3 that do most of the work with the rears doing suplementry work. Try it and let your ears decide I say :D

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Hello, i replaced my mission fronts with some tannoy r2's (wifey wanted woody speakers :rolleyes: )and they seem to blend in quite well with the mission centre and rears.The only shure way is to let your ears decide if they match or not.

4. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for the pointers. That's sort of what I thought and I'm loathe to spend a couple of hundred quid just to experiment with what would be much lower spec speakers. I'm away from home for a while so I'm gioing to be setting it all up in a couple of weeks.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,011
    I have a center which is totaly different to my main stereo pair, yet when a movie is playing, I can't tell that the speaker is tonaly different. Put some test tones through it without any video to distract, and then I can hear the difference.

Taking that into account (and the fact I may have cloth ears) I think you'll be fine with the rears. :)

Gary