Mixing Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by yoskiwoski, Mar 16, 2006.

1. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've always tried to buy the same make and range speakers so they all match. I originally bought a pair of Eltax Symphany 8's , the original ones that were 250 quid from richer sounds, always thought they are really good once warmed up and look like they are built better than the newer mnodels imho. Anyway got a Symphany centre and some symphany 4.2s to match once I went 5.1.

Always felt that the rears were lacking and are pretty big, this is possibly because they are to low to the ground.

Been thinking about getting some Monitor Audio Bronze BFX wall mounted high up for rears.

Also centre is lacking but think that might be the Marantz sr4300.

Should I just get a new system altogether or will mix matching speakers work?

thanks

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Mixing and matching is a bit suck it and see. IMHO keep the front three speakers as closely matched as possible and then pay attention to the surrounds. There are plenty of people on here mixing and matching and achieving results they are happy with. Multichannel audio is far more demanding of even tonal matching than DVD film watching, so your upgrading route depends on where your priorities lie. Without knowing the rest of your kit and assuming the speakers are the right place to focus your upgrade, I would look at the front three before committing money elsewhere.

Russell

3. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Agree with Russ. Most films/ TV "sound" comes out of the centre speaker (apart from the noisy bits).

4. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    thanks. surround only for DVDs. fronts are matched think I'll change the rears and take it from there. thanks for your help.

5. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I changed my rears from bookshelf (MS902) to bipoles (MS903) because I didn't like the directional nature of the 902s and am more than happy with the diffuse nature of the biploes. Doesn't really relate to your original question but more to a mix n match approach to rears.

6. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I have bfx rears and I think they are they are excellent VFM. I would urge you not to mount then up too high. Just above ear height is far more coherent.
    In an ideal world all speakers tweeters should be at ear height.

I have Ruark Talismans and a Dialogue 1 and changed my ruark epilogues for BFX
    due to room considerations of my new house. The square boxes were no use with a sofa almost across the back wall as by the time the speakers were on a bracket the sound was past my ears. I was not prepared for the massive improvement to surround sound the BFX made.

7. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    thanks for replys, think I'll get some BFX rears big box speakers curently on floor pointing upwards with those ikea stands that diagonally point them up. white ones plush to the wall should look bettter and sound better. says to put them 2 foot above ear height on the site.