Quantcast

Question Mixing Speaker makes/models

Avathar77

Hi
I have been using a 4 year old Pioneer HTP-071 system and recently changed to a Sony STR-DN 1080. Then bought a pair of Polk T50 for fronts and still using the center and surrounds that came with the Pioneer package.
Plan is to upgrade the Center first and then the Surrounds and then may be ceiling speakers for Atmos.
I have been considering Polk T30 as centers but wanted to ask if I can have another compatible make/model?
Have been reading about recommendations saying Center should be matched to same make/model, but is it not a case of matching the crossover?

password1

ideally all the speakers should be the same. the front three are more important than having the rears the same.

as a minimum the front three should be from the same make and range.

Avathar77

Yes, one T30 for center and I am thinking a different set for surround backs. Don't really like the look of Polk T15.

DrH

For a seemless all around sound using the speakers from the same range is always best. So try and match if you can. The T30 is best to match your L and R

Last edited:

MrSpark

Hi
I have been using a 4 year old Pioneer HTP-071 system and recently changed to a Sony STR-DN 1080. Then bought a pair of Polk T50 for fronts and still using the center and surrounds that came with the Pioneer package.
Plan is to upgrade the Center first and then the Surrounds and then may be ceiling speakers for Atmos.
I have been considering Polk T30 as centers but wanted to ask if I can have another compatible make/model?
Have been reading about recommendations saying Center should be matched to same make/model, but is it not a case of matching the crossover?
You don't need to match the same make/model all-round. For a standard Dolby 5.1 setup, you just need to match L&R. Speaker quality however is something you need to keep in mind. You really want the front L&R and Front Centre to be equal quality.

My home cinema setup uses a mix approach.
Front L&R - Custom built floor standers
Front Centre - Elac Unifi centre
Rear L&R and rear centre - Moudant short

The quality of the rear speakers is the weak point in my setup. Will be replacing these with some small bookshelf speakers in the near future. Potentially either Elac Debut 2.0 or Elac Uni-fi.

Top Bottom