Mixing Speaker Cable Brands

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AdamReece71, Apr 8, 2016.

1. AdamReece71

AdamReece71
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Im currently using some Bowers & Wilkins 684 Floorstanders with some van damme 2x2.5mm speaker cable.

I was originally using some bookshelf 685's but now wanting to use them as my rears.

My question is, am i ok to use for instance some QED speaker cable for the rears or would i need to use the same cables as per the fronts?
    How would this affect the setup?

Thanks guys.

2. camelot1971

camelot1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +926
    It's not going to make the slightest difference so no need to pay more money out if you already have some good quality cable.

3. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,920
    Love this subject, why shouldn't a superior single strand of sufficient cross sectional area (csa) sound better than an equivalent multi stranded cable.........and I am just asking.
    Snake oil maybe but I do sit on the side of spending sensible money on speaker cables (so not a bell wire solution) but not silly money, and this is all in the eyes of the beholder.
    Example, always had Chord Carnival for my original 5 speakers, then when I put my R500s in at the front with the R600C, I changed at a later point to Chord Odyssey for the front three, and for me there was a distinct shift in openness and soundstage (better would be arguable but certainly different)
    Now with the XTZ Cinema series I have kept the Odyssey for the fronts, Carnival for the surrounds and have chosen Fisual 2.5 for the rears, can't really say if that is a change or not as using M1s as rears which have a different characteristic to the M6 and S5.
    Some will argue that copper is copper and 99.999 oxygen free is 99.999 oxygen free no matter how you cut it, however I believe that there are differences and they can be heard, just depends on you appetite, enthusiasm and how deep your pockets are to challenge/pursue the thinking

4. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Oh here we go !

For me decent cable is a must but that's as far as I go. So I think you will be fine and unable to tell much if any difference.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,963
    Van Damme Blue is fine for the Front Three, but it is a bit heavy to run to the surrounds.

Consider ByFeet Audio OFC which is more than fine to run to the Side/Read speakers.

How much wire do you need?

15 meters of 2.5mm² in OFC wire is about £19.57 which is about £1.30 per meter.

Cabling4Less- ByFleet OFC High Grade Copper Speaker Cable

OFC is Oxygen Free Copper which in this case is 99.999% pure.

What you do NOT want is CCA or Copper Clad Aluminum.

Generally Wire is Wire. As long as it is good quality pure copper, which is not crazy expensive. So, this brand vs that brands is not a problem.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  6. AdamReece71

AdamReece71
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve. I was originally using the van damme cable for the 685 bookshelfs but all im doing now is movimg them to the back and ive just used the existing cables in the floorstanders up front.
    I spoke to Richer Sounds and they just advised on making sure the same gauge is used for all the speakers?
    Rung another speaker shop for some advice and they advised me to use 1mm for the rears?
    Getting mixed information from professional shops?!
    I think im just going to play it safe and order some more van damme off amazon, that way i know the cables are all the same and that ive used these cables on my bookshelfs previously.
    I just thought it would be easier to just use a different brand of speaker cable for the rears as i can pop into a shop and buy some cable but looks like im going to have to order online.

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,963
    The size of the wire depends on the distance and the Impedance of the speakers.

Here are some Charts of wire loss and working distance for various size wires. I've had to use American Wire Gauge (AWG) because specs aren't available for EU wire, but the Cross Sectional area is given so you can find the nearest equivalent.

Cable Length as a Precent of Speaker Impedance Table

Post #18 for the collected tables.

Most common in the UK/EU are 1.5mm² and 2.5mm².

2.5mm is cheap enough so most just go for that.

Because the Van Damme Blue is a heavier Double Insulated wire, it is a bit bulky to run to the rear/side. Also a bit expensive for long runs. But excellent for the Front speakers. So, while maintaining the actual wire size, I would use wire for the Side/Rear that had less bulky insulation. Like the ByFleet Wire I suggested.

I suspect the ByFleet 1.3mm² is actually AWG 16ga. Though not clear, the ByFleet 2.5mm² could really be AWG 13ga (2.62mm²).

Using he wire charts I provided, and assuming reasonable lengths, 1.3mm, or 1.5mm, or 2.5mm would be fine. But again, that is dependent on the distance.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016