Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mixing Ohms

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mat-Moo, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is it acceptable to run a 6ohm centre speaker with 8ohm main/surround speakers?

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    The ohms on my speakers are different ,never had a problem.

3. steveTHX

steveTHX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on your amp, my Yamaha DSP-A2 says that I can use down to 4ohms for main, down to 6 ohms for centre and 8 ohms for rear.i have 4ohms for the rear (cos I don’t have any other speakers at the moment).You could try it(NOT Recommended) but don’t crank up the amp too much.

4. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    any mid priced amp (£600 +) should be able to deal with 4 ohm, so it is not a problem. If a high price amp cannot deal with it, I think there are questions that need asking.

Cheaper amps can often struggle with anything below 8 ohm, so careful with lower end amplification (upgrade the amp, or choose higher impedance speakers)

5. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Actaully it's a question I've been asked via ebay for a speaker I am selling. I was asked "My system is a 100watt subwoofer 80watt ampliefier and my four speakers front and rear are 8 ohms with maxium 120 watts. If your speaker that sits on the telly will be compatible and is magnetically shielded I would definitly like it. Thanks " and the centre speaker is 6ohm 70watt. I would think that it is a cheaper amp like mine to be honest (Yamaha dsp-a5) but I've never had an issue with old JPW Gold Monitors Ihad on it, or my new Wharfedale Diamond 8 series speakers.

6. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Christ, sell it!!

It will probably be fine. The only issue that may arise is if they crank the volume up so the speakers impedance drops. Then the amp would probably just cut out, then come back on when the load wasn't so harsh on the amp.

You wouldn't want that if you spent alot of money, but ebay is about buyer power;)

You are selling a product, not complete AV advice. I'd take the money. Expect this to turn into a moral thread now. :rolleyes:

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The short answer to the first question is: yes.
    The long answer: yes, it's no problem at all.

8. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got 4, 6 and 8 ohm speakers in my system - never been a problem. But then again I never crank the amps up very much :)