Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mixing kef eggs and Mission floorstanders

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RIOT, Jan 29, 2003.

1. RIOT

RIOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current setup is as per my siggy

Two Mission M73 floortanders at the front and a mission m7c1 centre

Im looking into buying two rear speakers to complete the 5.1 setup (sub to follow)

Trouble is I have nowhere to put rear floorstanders or regular bookshelf sized speakers hence ive been looking at satelites.

Would a pair of kef eggs be a good choice or would they be a complete mismatch ?

Ive looked at the matching mission rears but there far too big to fit in the space I have available on the wall :(
    The small footprint of the kefs is ideal for what I have available

Ive also been looking at the sib and cub speakers and sub but I believe the eggs are better than these ??

Thought ...suggestions...

Anyone got any links to online retailers of single kef eggs ?

Cheers
    Rich T

2. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you look at the Mission M77DS or M7DS?The M7DS are a bit smaller than the M77DS,either speaker is an excelent match for your fronts.

3. RIOT

RIOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was the m7ds that I have looked at, they are too big

If you can imagine a square room with a small rectangle stuck to one end, thats my room.
    The sqaure section has to contain all of the speakers but on the right hand side is a window taking up all but a small section of wall hence sattelites are really my only option due to the limited amount of space on which to mount this rear right speaker to the wall. Theres just not enough space to mount the missions unfortunately :(

If that makes sense :D

4. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    The last couple of days i've been using my Gallos, which normally sit up front in the family room, as rears in a small bedroom i'm laughingly calling the cinema room. Anyway they're working exceptionally well with my Mission front end 753s,75C...so i see little reason why the KefEggs couldn't perform a similar role. The trick as always would be to find a dealer who'll let you try them at home for a day or so.

spence

5. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thought about M70s?

6. RIOT

RIOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol there bigger still :D

I cant stress enough that there is only space for wall mountable satellites !
    Bookshelfs and floorstanders are not an option :(

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    To be pedantic the only speakers which will match completely at the rears will be another set of M73's! Since that is crazy and impossible in you case, get thinking that whatever you use is a compromise....ok?

So, Mission dipoles are too big you say, so you need some little bookshelf speakers. Hmmm, M70's still too big and since you have no sub, full range speakers (not sats) are your bunnies.

The Kef's are pretty good speakers and IMO fall somewhere between sats and small full range budget bookshelfs in frequency output stakes (not cost). They work best with a sub backing them up in the lower-midrange. They are IMO not quite as good as say, Mission M71's on their own , but as rears should be fine. Whether you consider them a bit pricey in comparison to your other speakers is for you to decide?

Alternatively something small like ALR Jordan's smallest will give a fuller sound for the rears. These are very good full range (up to a point low-down obviously) speakers and are wall-mountable.

8. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Maybe i'm missing something...but ...wouldn't both bookshelf speakers or sats be set to small, with their "bass", in the absence of a sub, being routed to the M73s? So as long as the Eggs and the "bookshelfs" both went to around LFE cut, say 100Hz i'm not sure there'd be much to choose between the two designs.
    A sub would be the the icing on the cake.

spence

9. RIOT

RIOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I was thinking tyefi

But my technical knowledge is not up to scratch to figure it all out :D

The sub will follow shortly , no doubt there. Just got to decide which one ;)

10. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    As long as the M73s are set to large my understanding is they'll receive bass from speakers set to small, in the absence of a sub...that said i'm no expert either.

As for subs... i've recently upgraded to one of the powerbuy CHT-15s and can thoroughly recommend it if you have the space to accommodate such a lump. It seems to do just about everything right...but in light of your rear concerns, ooeerrr matron, i've been most impressed with the improvement this sub has made to my back sound field...it's now much more cohesive and integrated with the front speakers.

Normal disclaimers apply...i spent a few quid on one so would say good things about it, there are other good subs out there...

spence